This I want no part of!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #21

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Ugh I've seen most of the said things too many times. The ####### barking and dog poop at all hours is most. Drunks following that, I've got back to my Scamp to notice my propane tanks changed color and empty. The drunk / pot smoking crew across from me was having a big BBQ.. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 But the dog(s) issues are my personal worst-case. Loud music/ exhaust are close second. The firearms not so much in my experience as main problem probably due to spending last 35 years as someone who has been carrying a firearms for a living.
At one place I stayed the POS female next to my site took her dog over by the water line and septic hookup on my site to poop.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #22

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I was just thinking about this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
Ugh I've seen most of the said things too many times.
...as I put the Scamp away for the season. It would be more correct to say that I was thinking of the Scamp Rally and the LACK of the problems reported in this post. I've seen it ALL and it was all missing at the rally. It was a great group. Yes there were several dogs, they were all friendly and QUIET.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6004 (13).jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #23

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I forgot to add.....I love the guys pulling the larger trailers who idle their diesel pick ups for half an hour while hooking up their trailers,,,,the noise and fresh smell of burning diesel is wonderful......reminds me of a large truck stop.....especially if I have a cup of coffee with me. Heck.....sometimes it drowns out the sound of my barking dog. LOL!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #24

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Horn honking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I forgot to add.....I love the guys pulling the larger trailers who idle their diesel pick ups for half an hour while hooking up their trailers,,,,the noise and fresh smell of burning diesel is wonderful......reminds me of a large truck stop.....especially if I have a cup of coffee with me. Heck.....sometimes it drowns out the sound of my barking dog. LOL!
When my F150 was new it honked the horn every time I got out if running. The dealer claimed that it was a safety requirement and would not change it except for police vehicles. I paid a hacker 100$ to change ONE letter in ONE line of code to keep from waking others up at the camp ground. (and drove 200 miles to meet him in a parking lot.)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Yes happened to us in Michigan, for 30 minutes while loading up. It was incredibly rude and a waste of fuel.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #26

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
We had this troublemaker pass through on Saturday.

I guess it had to happen to us eventually.

This troublemaker who was obviously high on grass wandered through acting like he owned the whole field and then got all aggressive when we calmly walked over for a talk.

https://youtu.be/BldM6CAPM-8
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
When my F150 was new it honked the horn every time I got out if running. The dealer claimed that it was a safety requirement and would not change it except for police vehicles. I paid a hacker 100$ to change ONE letter in ONE line of code to keep from waking others up at the camp ground. (and drove 200 miles to meet him in a parking lot.)
Back in the day (1980) I ordered a new Econoline.
Back then you could actually order what you wanted... so I ordered it with the dome light switches in the doors deleted.
We used the truck when camping and I did not want to light up the camp ground or sound off door chimes every time I opened a door.
Also there were no remote locks so you didn't have the headlights or parking lights come on every time you wanted in the truck.
Forscan can help on some of these issues on the new cars, but today, if you
"want it your way" you'll have to go to Burger King!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Campground management is not easy and some hosts are not authoritative enough and others think they are Buford Pusser.

This last weekend we stayed in a nearby state park. We stayed in a primitive loop because we like it and did not really need any on site services. It was not crowded, had.no host and there were kids, young adults and senior citizens all camping on the sites. The key was that the park ranger, young, athletic, intelligent and friendly drove the loops a couple times each day.. He made sure sites had been properly paid for, interacted with campers and was professional.

In iowa, the state park rangers are all licensed peace officers and the network with Highway patrol, deputy sheriffs and local police is excellent.

So today I took a few minutes to learn the name and number of the parks chief for the DNR in Des
Moines. I called her. She probably gets a lot of complaint calls each day but when I complimented her operation and her personnel that I’ve dealt with including the Ranger at Lake MacBride, she was not only surprised but assured me repeatedly how much she appreciated my call.

I’d been in her shoes as a municipal parks superintendent for 32 years so it was a no brained for me to make her afternoon.

I encourage everyone with either compliments or complaints to make your feelings known not only on a forum but to those who can effect change or reinforce good performance with encouragement to their people.

It can be a zoo out there or things can be serene and enjoyable. Do your best with it is my advice.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #29

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Campground management is not easy and some hosts are not authoritative enough and others think they are Buford Pusser.

This last weekend we stayed in a nearby state park. We stayed in a primitive loop because we like it and did not really need any on site services. It was not crowded, had.no host and there were kids, young adults and senior citizens all camping on the sites. The key was that the park ranger, young, athletic, intelligent and friendly drove the loops a couple times each day.. He made sure sites had been properly paid for, interacted with campers and was professional.

In iowa, the state park rangers are all licensed peace officers and the network with Highway patrol, deputy sheriffs and local police is excellent.

So today I took a few minutes to learn the name and number of the parks chief for the DNR in Des
Moines. I called her. She probably gets a lot of complaint calls each day but when I complimented her operation and her personnel that I’ve dealt with including the Ranger at Lake MacBride, she was not only surprised but assured me repeatedly how much she appreciated my call.

I’d been in her shoes as a municipal parks superintendent for 32 years so it was a no brained for me to make her afternoon.

I encourage everyone with either compliments or complaints to make your feelings known not only on a forum but to those who can effect change or reinforce good performance with encouragement to their people.

It can be a zoo out there or things can be serene and enjoyable. Do your best with it is my advice.
Iowa Dave
Right on, Lake McBride is great. I’ve supported rangers in the field rescuing people in very difficult situations as well as dealing with drunk and disorderly fools. Most are consummate pros. I always make it a point to thank them on our travels . I was able to establish microwave communication to Ilse Royale so they had reliable dispatch service in a remote area. Was quite a trip on a seaplane and a world war 2 landing chart from Omaha beach to take out supplies. These men and women work hard for pretty modest pay and risk their lives so old folks like us can have a safe experience in parks.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #30

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Right on, Lake McBride is great. I’ve supported rangers in the field rescuing people in very difficult situations as well as dealing with drunk and disorderly fools. Most are consummate pros. I always make it a point to thank them on our travels . I was able to establish microwave communication to Ilse Royale so they had reliable dispatch service in a remote area. Was quite a trip on a seaplane and a world war 2 landing chart from Omaha beach to take out supplies. These men and women work hard for pretty modest pay and risk their lives so old folks like us can have a safe experience in parks.

I totally agree.....in today's world....we focus a lot on the negatives. I always thank good camp hosts....good park rangers and responsible campers. Most folks like talking......and most folks like to hear they're doing a good job!
Old 10-05-2022, 03:56 AM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Forscan can help on some of these issues on the new cars, but today, if you "want it your way" you'll have to go to Burger King!
While the computer controlled vehicles we now drive can be frustrating and subject to “electronic gremlins,” I will say I am extremely happy that Forscan exists, is free to anyone who wants to download it and purchase an OBD interface for a laptop. It has allowed me to both disable annoying features as well as enable desired features on my F-150. I also like that it is easy to enter the engineering (or test mode) on the F-150 which, for example, can be used to adjust the so called lie-o-meter fuel mileage display that many if not all manufacturers use to make the vehicle’s MPG appear higher (talk about hyperbole!) than it actually is. One does not need to be a “hacker” to use either of these programming tools.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
"Plagued by the question of who arrived first, rangers had to play mediator and detective to determine the rightful occupant of the site" IF you've made reservations, always... ALWAYS print out and carry your reservation information. Rangers (in Oregon) have NO law enforcement authority (except maybe Crater Lake which is Federal). IF mediation doesn't work, a ranger would call Law Enforcement. County calls the county deputy sheriffs and state calls the state police. IF a squatter is in a site, they can be trespassed, cited for 'Theft of Services' and removed.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:49 AM   #33

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
One of the things that I dislike on my new vehicle no choice on flipping lights turning on or off... for that matter.
Then there is the diesel fueled trucks that are modified to be louder than a 18 wheeler. In my neck of the woods the horse trailer drag racing with the before mentioned diesel trucks. I've drove quieter 2 cycle diesel engine equipped vehicles in the military.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #34

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
Then there is the diesel fueled trucks that are modified to be louder than a 18 wheeler. In my neck of the woods the horse trailer drag racing with the before mentioned diesel trucks. I've drove quieter 2 cycle diesel engine equipped vehicles in the military.
I drove over the road tractor trailers, including double trailers, that were quieter than those. They found out the the turbo is considered a muffler device in most states, so they have removed the muffler and are running straight pipes.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #35

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I guess it had to happen to us eventually.

This troublemaker who was obviously high on grass wandered through acting like he owned the whole field and then got all aggressive when we calmly walked over for a talk.

https://youtu.be/BldM6CAPM-8
Haha. OMG, how could any normal camper put up with this! (But seriously, is a porcupine also a hedgehog?)
Old 10-10-2022, 07:10 PM   #36

Iowa
No. Not the same. Porcupines live in the coniferous woods and they crave salt. I have only had one serious encounter with a porcupine when we were on the Lookout. This guy decided that the coax on our radio antenna was a good thing to eat and with communication being the lifeline of lookouts he met an untimely albeit noisy death. Hedgehogs only weigh a couple pounds, porcupines are quite a bit bigger. They are pretty good sized like a woodchuck. Hedgehogs are small and live in fields in shallow burrows . In World War II my dad trained in England and Scotland before D Day. After years on the farm through the depression, they learned to eat a lot of things and though they had never seen hedgehogs, dad and his crew mostly form the Deep South developed a taste for any fresh meat. Yup , Hesgehogs were on the menu. If you know me, this probably explains a few things.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-11-2022, 09:01 AM   #37

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
No. Not the same. Porcupines live in the coniferous woods and they crave salt. I have only had one serious encounter with a porcupine when we were on the Lookout. This guy decided that the coax on our radio antenna was a good thing to eat and with communication being the lifeline of lookouts he met an untimely albeit noisy death. Hedgehogs only weigh a couple pounds, porcupines are quite a bit bigger. They are pretty good sized like a woodchuck. Hedgehogs are small and live in fields in shallow burrows . In World War II my dad trained in England and Scotland before D Day. After years on the farm through the depression, they learned to eat a lot of things and though they had never seen hedgehogs, dad and his crew mostly form the Deep South developed a taste for any fresh meat. Yup , Hesgehogs were on the menu. If you know me, this probably explains a few things.
Iowa Dave
Good post Dave. I never though of eating Hedgehogs cause they are so small. No where near the meat that a good sized squirrel has. But I did learn to eat a lot of things I had never eaten when I was in Vietnam and Thailand! And this Yankee has always had a taste for Carolina crab, froglegs, southern crayfish boil, boiled peanuts, and pulled pork/bbq ribs.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:22 AM   #38

Washington
We have pocupines in our area.....for the most part....they leave you alone. Our last dog got pocupined several times in the face.....he would not leave them alone......it's costly to have quills removed at the vet.....at least $200 per visit....one time he did it twice in the same week......I wasn't real happy that week.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #39

Ohio
about 1975 my two dogs decided to take on a porcupine, while one dog only had a few the other dog patiently sat there while I pulled all the quills out with a pair of pliers must to taken 30 minutes . we were in the woods, I was poor and not vet to be found. She sat there and dint bark, didn't struggle of try to bite me. She was a good dog.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #40

Iowa
Dogs

There’s just something about a dog. Jake is resting up for the opening of pheasant season on the 29 th.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
47477123-7389-45E5-BC0F-118AB15B3C60.jpg  

Tags
scamp