Tillamook Air Museum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 01:18 AM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Tillamook Air Museum

We went down to Lincoln City to pick up the Trails West Campmite (Campster) I purchased a few weeks ago from a forum member. It is a project to be sure but I am well pleased with the purchase as it is a complimentary shape to my Honda Element. A red and black coordinating paint scheme and new interior will bring it up date and they will look like they were made for each other despite being 45 years apart in age.

I wanted to be sure to take our camping trip during the weekdays before Memorial day weekend so we could find things such as the right height of a stinger and any other supplies that might come up on the way home.

It went well, a slight adjustment to the receiver to tighten up the slack was required, it will also need an anti-rattle clamp too which I just ordered online. Purchased a new tongue jack since the one it came with was too tall for leveling it.

The hardest part of preparing to bring it home was getting my vehicle wired up with trailer lights as they no longer make the OEM harness for it. That took a lot of hours as a power wire had to be run from the battery to the rear and the heavy 10 gauge wire had to be fished through some tight spots in the body panels. Thank goodness for etrailer dot com's videos which showed what colors of wires had to be spliced together and what cavities wires could be fed through. They also had a video for installing the hitch.

Had to stop and buy a bottle of Febreeze to spray the wall and head liner with to get the mildew smell out of it. The whole interior will have to be replaced but he did say it was a fixer so no surprises there. It will keep me busy for a while.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Have fun fixing up your gem, really like those trailers.

The Air Museum is fantastic, so glad we were able to visit that place, thanks for the memory. Neat picture
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:28 AM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
nice

I drive through there 2-4 times a week from LC to Seaside and back. Always great fun. You should have checked e-trailer or amazon for wiring it comes ans a complete set. I got mine from Amazon hooked it up this weekend took about 45 minutes and worked without a problem. Have fun with your setup and post updates!
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post
I drive through there 2-4 times a week from LC to Seaside and back. Always great fun. You should have checked e-trailer or amazon for wiring it comes ans a complete set. I got mine from Amazon hooked it up this weekend took about 45 minutes and worked without a problem. Have fun with your setup and post updates!
The 2006 Honda Element is not an easy install, it is a totally different install for the 2005 and 2006 years from all the others and the OEM harness and aftermarket harness specific to those years is no longer obtainable

I did get a kit for it. Unlike most tail light kits for my vehicle needs a power wire brought all the way from the battery to the tail lights. The part for splicing into the tail lights is a very easy install and took very little time just as your kit did. What took a lot of time and was difficult to do (correctly) was running that 10 gauge wire from the engine compartment back to the tail light. Fishing the wire through some body cavities was not at all easy and it would have been pretty much impossible for one person to manage it. But we got it done.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote