Tips for Visiting Glacier NP? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #21

Name: Don
Trailer: Currently shopping
Washington
2 important points

First, try to go when there are no fires affecting the visibility or air quality. We went when there were fires several hundred miles away and although the air wasn't too bad breathing it did limit the views we know we would have had otherwise. At one point we couldn't even see the other side of the lake! Also, stay in a campground outside of the park. We have found in general that the cost is no more and often less. Showers are less costly, the facilities are cleaner, and there usually less noise. We try to get a tent site so we don't end up parked next to a 40 foot monster. Government run campgrounds often want to insist we stay in a RV site but private campgrounds are much more accommodating.
Choosethisday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #22

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
While up in Glacier, take the time to cross the 49th Parallel into Glacier's Sister park, Waterton National Park in Canada; well worth the time to visit and explore.
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We stayed at St Mary in an outside campground and it was nice.
I think it was Johnson's but I could be wrong.
We took a day to travel into Canada, but we chose Heritage day and Alberta was closed.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #24

Name: Nancy
Trailer: (formerly) Scamp
Montana
As a regular visitor to Glacier, I second the advice to spend time at the East Side. That is my favorite part of the park. I don't take my trailer there because I stay at a friend's cabin on Lake McDonald or at the primitive cabins in Many Glacier, so I can't comment on the campgrounds. If you travel Highway 2, I recommend visiting the Museum of the Plains Indians in Browning. If you head to St. Mary directly from East Glacier on Highway 89, take it easy because it is a twisty road. If you can do it, I recommend the Grinnell Glacier hike while at Many Glacier. I also recommend sitting either inside or out at the Many Glacier Hotel to take in the view; stopping along the Going to the Sun Highway for side trips like the very short walk to view the Sunrift Gorge (go all the way to the top of the short trail) and at the same stop walking down to the falls; the Hidden Lake Trail at Logan Pass; hike the Highline Trail for at least a mile or all the way to the Granite Park Chalet; stop at Siyah Bend and walk down from the road along the creek, sit on the flat rocks and marvel. I can't comment on the goodies found in Polegridge, but I think the road there is tedious because it is a tree-lined corridor. Waterton Park and the hotel is pretty spectacular and a great setting for high tea. If you golf, playing the Waterton Lakes Golf Course offers spectacular views of the area and sometimes animals on the greens. As an avid fly-fisher, it is not a fishing destination for me, but I will wet my line in a few areas.
narnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
...We took a day to travel into Canada, but we chose Heritage day and Alberta was closed.
You know how it is. Everyone wants to have the holidays off. So when a holiday does arrive, there is no one around to look after the foreign tourists and we are forced to shut down the province!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Montana
I virtually grew up in that park and can say you have received many good suggestions already. Recent damp weather has slowed down the two largest fires, but not put them out. Be sure to keep tabs on that situation. I would plan to skip the Lake McDonald area this September and consider the other side. Camping available ranges from luxury commercial sites just outside the park (e.g. West Glacier KOA mentioned above) to regular Forest Service Campgrounds like Devil Creek or the Marias Summit. These could be useful as you approach the area. On the east side after you take a look at the historic hotel at East Glacier, you might consider stopping at Cut Bank Campground, which is small and primitive (no stores anywhere near) but offers a couple of nice day hikes into empty country (be bear aware!). Two Medicine has a nice large campground and some facilities on offer that may still be open plus lots of hiking. Then, there is the St. Mary area with both private and park service camping, visitor area, restaurants and so on. This is, as suggested above, a good base for a drive to the top of Logan Pass (Going to the Sun Road) open even if the other side remains closed. Beyond that is the Many Glacier Area, which is pretty much hiking central. I believe there may be more readily accessible day hikes from here than any other single spot. Stunning views also. If you are interested in native culture, a side trip to Browning to visit the Museum of the Plains Indian is well worth it - it's a bit old now, but its exhibits are deeply engaging. Finally, as suggested, be prepared for anything when it comes to weather. Often September is the most beautiful month in the year, but evenings are always cool and can be downright cold in September. It might snow - this past weekend, there was snow above 6000 feet. Anything can happen. Old timers in Montana would say never go anywhere without your slicker, duster, and buffalo robe. You should have a wonderful time on your trip with some planning and a little flexibility built in.
Bob Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #27

Name: Bush
Trailer: Vagabond
Nevada
Don't forget to have a piece of pie at the Park Cafe on the East side.
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Montana
Park Cafe - also excellent advice. Located in St. Mary just north of the intersection of the main highway with the Glacier Park entrance road.
Bob Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #29

Name: Dale
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
California
Great choice. Wonderful park. We went up there in September/October of 2016.

We budgeted 3 weeks to drive up (camping along the way), spend about two weeks there and drive back, from Sacramento area.

We stayed at park campgrounds. Make sure you have a generator and plenty of gas (if not hooked up) because it will get cool up there in late September. We left early mid September to miss the crowds.

We timed it to pull into Apgar on the way in and stayed a night or two to let the rain clear out of the east before heading over to St Marys campground. We used St Marys as our main base as it is accessible to all the eastern sites and points of interest. You definitely want to do day trips up to Many Glacier, great hiking there (Grinnell Lake and Iceberg Lake we did) and the lodge is worth a tour. We did two or three day trips up there. Yes you need bear spray and bells

Logans pass has a great hike along the garden wall. steep and narrow but fairly flat. Just go to the National Park site and check out the hikes.

The cool thing about St Marys is you can make it your eastern base and not move every couple days. I assume you will have a vehicle to drive around in.

On our way out we went back to the west gate and stayed a few days at Apgar and did some hiking there. Drove up north to Bowman Lake and Polebridge. Was cloudy the day we went up there but supposed to be great views if clear.

Of course the fires will dictate what you do.

Have fun.
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Everyone's different. I enjoyed the west side as much as the east side on my short (3 day) visit a few years ago. Apgar was pleasant, Lake MacDonald was pretty, and the hike to Avalanche Lake was very scenic and just about my max hiking distance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glacier- at Avalanche Lk.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	124152

I saw deer, rabbits, and other critters right inside the Many Glacier CG. It's a good CG with great scenery in the area, but the sites are very small and close together, fyi. Some people say they like Many Glacier the best, and some like Two Medicine best. There is plenty of scenery (and trails, I'm sure) at each.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote