Traveling with dogs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Traveling with dogs

We are departing Butterfield RV Resort and Observatory (Benson AZ) today en-route to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument for +/- 8 nights.

Arrived here from Bisbee AZ Saturday. WOW Bisbee was fun, albeit the tiny RV park (Queen Mine RV Park ) only provided hook-ups and a place to park next to the Lavender open Pit Copper Mine, defunct since the mid '70s. What a funky community. Easy walking distance from RV park to all local sights, museums, and restaurants.

Butterfield has an Observatory and free nightly sky programs (cloud cover permitting) with a 16" telescope. Great program. This place however, has tight restrictions on dogs. You must walk one's dog(s) down the center of the paved roads to one of the 2 dog "potty spots" to take care of business. It is not permitted to allow dogs to tinkle etc. at your site even if carefully cleaned up after.

Hmmm... also rigs "stinky stinky" is not allowed to touch the gravel at sites and they have a maintenance guy bring a plastic rain gutter to place under the drain hose if you do not have your own support.

We have long enjoyed the cartoon strip featuring the Scotty Duncan "Raising Duncan by Chris Browne." Even though they are re-runs they are always great. Today's is on target as we are Scamping across the S.W.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Dogs

I wonder if MICK could obey the rules?

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
What do you suppose is the rationale against the "stinky sLinky" touching the gravel? What about the tires after you've just run over bloody road kill on the way in to the campground.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What do you suppose is the rationale against the "stinky sLinky" touching the gravel? ...
Easier to see leaks perhaps? Although I would guess they would look more at the proper slope for the hose.

But I avoid full hookup sites whenever I can. I keep my crap to myself, until I get to the crap station to unload it. I wish everyone did. Those sewer hookups are notorious for leaking and I have seen so many full hookup sites with lots of nastiness around the sewer connection that I never use one (unless maybe staying a month in one place which I never do). Not to even mention the people who have the full hookup and leave the gate valve open all the time.. yuck.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Easier to see leaks perhaps? Although I would guess they would look more at the proper slope for the hose.

But I avoid full hookup sites whenever I can. I keep my crap to myself, until I get to the crap station to unload it. I wish everyone did. Those sewer hookups are notorious for leaking and I have seen so many full hookup sites with lots of nastiness around the sewer connection that I never use one (unless maybe staying a month in one place which I never do). Not to even mention the people who have the full hookup and leave the gate valve open all the time.. yuck.
Actually the black water tank valve should not be opened except momentarily to empty it. There is no harm in using the sewer hose for gray water. Having had the hose hooked up to the gray water should be proof enough of its integrity.
I have a threaded elbow for a secure attachment at the sewer, yet many places require me to compromise that seal in favor of a "rubber donut".

I have seldom seen sewer hookups at state parks, they mostly use a dumpstation as you like..... But then there are those "blueboy" tanks!

The thread is about traveling with dogs though, which are generally allowed to crap on the ground most anywhere as long as the owner picks it up. I'm guessing that whoever made the particular rules above have a bit of an anal retentive personality!
( in a clinical sense of course)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually the black water tank valve should not be opened except momentarily to empty it. ..
Yes that is what I meant to say.. and some people (knowing no better) leave the black water valve open, nasty.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote