trip to Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
trip to Michigan

We always try to get back to Michigan each summer to visit relatives (and so I can camp a bit). This year we went up earlier than usual, because my mother in law had open heart surgery and my wife wanted to help out during the recuperation period. I enjoyed having the trailer parked in their yard, because I could sleep in it as well as get out of the house at times.

At one point I was able to get away to Port Crescent SP, located at the tip of the thumb. This is a nice CG with many shady sites and some open sites bordering on the lake's sandy dune. Here is a picture of the view standing next to my trailer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1489 tpz zm.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	72503

This is a view of the water's edge, just past the low dune.

Name:	DSCF1500 sm.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	72504

This place also has one small cabin for daily rental, and the view from its front porch was pretty nice:

Name:	DSCF1504 tpz sm.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	72505
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I only stayed at Port Crescent for 1 night, then at my sister's place in Deckerville for a night, before returning to MIL's place.

The next week I again went camping for 2 nights. I intended to stay at Rifle River Rec Area, but there were no nice lake views and the mosquitos were horribly thick there. So I decided to head up to the Au Sable River and check out the Huron NF campsites there. I was pleasantly surprised.

The CG check-in is at the Lumberman's Monument:

Name:	DSCF1517 tpz sm.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	72506

I asked about campsites with water views, and they suggested one on the north side of the river (about 5 miles west, a mile north, and 6-7 miles back east). The rustic campsites are in the woods along a sandy two-track. Mine was about a half mile in.

Name:	DSCF1533 sm.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	72507

I set the camera on the car's side mirror (forgot to pack the tripod) and took this 'selfie'.

Name:	DSCF1536 sm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	72508

Notice the sandy bank just over my left shoulder? Walk up that bank, and this was my water view:

Name:	P1010444 tpz sm.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	72509

During my 2 night stay, I was the only camper in this entire section. I saw 1 young guy on a dirt bike go by, as well as 2 rangers in a pickup. Oh, and 2 boats went by on the river. That was all! What a quiet, private spot. Hardly any mosquitos during the day, either. The fee for 2 nights totaled $23.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
The Au Sable is one of Michigan's best rivers....

Great fishing, nice current, runs west to east so the wind is usually at your back as you paddle. There are some campgrounds along the river. Toward the east end of the river there are several power company dams that create the large impoundments that have the campgrounds such as the one you visited.

How did you find the roads into the sites? I drove back into the sites on the Cooke Dam Pond a few years ago and the sites were great but the two tracks were very rough and i don't think the low axle of my Compact Jr. could handle it.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I have about 8" of clearance on both tug and trailer, and went slow out of caution but had no trouble at all. There were a few minor dips. I would guess you'd want to have at least 5" or so.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
We camp at Alcona Park on the AuSable many time during the Summer...its about 70 miles north of us,,Modern Area with water and electric is $20.00 per night...www.alconapark.com its very nice
Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Humerickhouse View Post
We camp at Alcona Park on the AuSable many time during the Summer...its about 70 miles north of us,,Modern Area with water and electric is $20.00 per night...www.alconapark.com its very nice
Ron
Hmm, they have some pretty good monthly and seasonal rates in the primitive camping area.

I graduated from Standish-Sterling Central High School. Not very far away!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #7

Yes SS is about 20 miles from us..Arenac Eastern was where wife & I went to school, when i was here,,as a child i was in St Pete Fla..every winter
Did you know or related to Omar Magee ,?lived in the Twining area i beleive??
Next time you are up this way, you got FREE camping at our place...just let us know so we can ro;; out the red carpet??
Ron & Glenda
Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Ron, thanks for the kind offer, I'll keep it in mind. But since my MIL lives between Gladwin and West Branch I park there most of the time, and then I get away for a couple of days to someplace quiet and underpopulated so I can be alone and decompress from the visiting.

Magee is a screen name chosen for anonymity. I grew up near Bentley.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

OK ,Mike,,i will send a PM
------------
Ron