Trip to Ouray Colorado - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
The tie dye shirts and the cars really match! Looks like you are having a nice time together.

If you happen to need a place to camp (full CGs or something), there's a good boondock site halfway between Silverton and Ouray, off the east side of the highway and somewhat below you in some trees. You're likely to see a few folks already parked there so it should be easy to spot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,225
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The tie dye shirts and the cars really match! Looks like you are having a nice time together.

If you happen to need a place to camp (full CGs or something), there's a good boondock site halfway between Silverton and Ouray, off the east side of the highway and somewhat below you in some trees. You're likely to see a few folks already parked there so it should be easy to spot.
Mike, I believe that describes "Ironton Park" where we will be staying.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Mike, I believe that describes "Ironton Park" where we will be staying.
Dave & Paula
Oh, it has a name? How about that?!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #24
Member
 
Fred-Linda's Avatar
 
Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
Posts: 35
Ironton Park

David and Andy - - - you may already be familiar with Corkscrew Gulch but if not, be sure and do the trail that goes up from Ironton to Corkscrew. It's a great Jeep ride and beautiful. And if you want to, you can keep going on over to Hurricane Pass and California Gulch and into Silverton, then back up Hwy 550 to Ironton.

There will be beautiful trails all around you! Wish we were going next week instead of September. We vary the months every year.

. . . . Fred
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #25
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Andy, maybe we'll see you there, as we should be in that area this coming weekend. We will be dry camping in the ghost town of "Ironton Park", off Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton.

Dave & Paula


I saw you today in the afternoon when you were driving through Ouray. You were headed south and we were headed north. Have fun. We sure have. Black Bear and Imogene passes today.
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #26
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
Trip to Ouray Colorado

Imogene pass
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0714.JPG  
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #27
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
One more from the sand dunesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	110052
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #28
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
Black bear passClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	110053
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #29
Member
 
Fred-Linda's Avatar
 
Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
Posts: 35
I'm jealous! Keep on enjoying the area.
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #30
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-Linda View Post
Oh my goodness! Did your children put all that decoration on those Cadillacs??? Ha.



I remember when he first put them there - - - before there was any graffiti on them. It was quite an attraction back then, and still is.



Unfortunately the owner got in trouble and passed away in 2014 while still fighting his indictments.



https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dies/10703433/


Interesting read.

I love it. It's strange, interactive, colorful and it gets people outside
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #31
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,522
Don't ride your brakes in the mountains going down. Use a lower gear like D2 so that the engine helps limit your speed. Brakes get hot, brakes stop working. That is what those odd off ramps full of gravel that go off up hill as you go down a pass are for. Runaway trucks can divert into them if their brakes fail. Deep soft gravel slows down the truck.


One of my favorite parts of the country is most of Colorado. Everything from arid to cool mountains. Have family in Pueblo. You might want to check out Mesa Verde for the indian ruins. Nice day trip exploring the cliff houses. Near Durango.


One last thought, it is harder to get a good campfire at higher elevations, air flow matters more with less oxygen. If possible give yourself a day or two at elevation to acclimate, take it easy for a couple of days before going on long hikes etc.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
Did you drive Black Bear yourself? If so, what did you think of the difficulty level?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
DeBreez's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Posts: 171
Looks like you're having a great trip, we last visited the area a few years ago and loved it. Haven't camped there yet, but I have family in Montrose so expect to return sooner than later - planning to retire next year and put some miles on the Casita.
__________________
"...I keep blowin' down the road."
2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
2002 Toyota Tundra V8
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,225
Registry
Andy, sorry we missed you. Ironton Park looked pretty full, so we went on to just 2 miles outside of Silverton to camp free in "Sulton" camp ground in the "Mineral Creek" area. There is room for you guys if you're looking for something different to see. We are right along the creek.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Steve Outlaw's Avatar
 
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Posts: 628
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
...I was able to snap this candid shot of a guy with great aim...
Attachment 109793

... and with a restroom only a few feet away! Sheesh!
Clever, wish I could do that!!!
__________________
Steve and Tali - Dogs: Reacher and Lucy and our beloved Storm and Maggie (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2008 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite & 2014 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite II
2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #36
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Did you drive Black Bear yourself? If so, what did you think of the difficulty level?


It wasn't too bad. I'm glad we did meet a group at the summit. It made the descent easier, having a spotter on the first switchback. And piece of mind if any problems. If you are afraid of heights don't do. The views were the best I've ever seen.
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #37
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Don't ride your brakes in the mountains going down. Use a lower gear like D2 so that the engine helps limit your speed. Brakes get hot, brakes stop working. That is what those odd off ramps full of gravel that go off up hill as you go down a pass are for. Runaway trucks can divert into them if their brakes fail. Deep soft gravel slows down the truck.


One of my favorite parts of the country is most of Colorado. Everything from arid to cool mountains. Have family in Pueblo. You might want to check out Mesa Verde for the indian ruins. Nice day trip exploring the cliff houses. Near Durango.


One last thought, it is harder to get a good campfire at higher elevations, air flow matters more with less oxygen. If possible give yourself a day or two at elevation to acclimate, take it easy for a couple of days before going on long hikes etc.


I actually have 5.13 gears so they do help a lot
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #38
Member
 
Andyman's Avatar
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Andy, sorry we missed you. Ironton Park looked pretty full, so we went on to just 2 miles outside of Silverton to camp free in "Sulton" camp ground in the "Mineral Creek" area. There is room for you guys if you're looking for something different to see. We are right along the creek.

Dave & Paula


I made reservations last year so we are set but planning a trip to silverton on Monday. I'll keep my eyes open. Have fun
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #39
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,848
Wearing their seat belts?

For those unfamiliar with Black Bear Pass as I was, there are a large number of videos, some covering the complete journey. This one is quite short and will tell you all you need to know.



Andy, better you than me.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Scamper Jim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Posts: 307
Registry
Not bad, but I would be more impressed if they drove down those roads in a wooden ore wagon that had steel-rim wheels, a springboard seat and wooden-block brakes hauling a load of ore rock using only a team of horses to hold them back, like they did in the old days when those roads were originally built!
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Week Trip from Maine, to S Dakota and Colorado DeniseinMaine Camping, Campout Reports 5 07-01-2016 03:26 PM
The Puck and LoverBoy get Shakedown Trip! Please help me plan a romantic trip? Gigi Camping, Campout Reports 15 09-03-2015 11:07 PM
trip report: Colorado, Montana Mike Magee Camping, Campout Reports 48 01-07-2012 05:02 PM
mods for our trip to colorado Candi Woods Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 06-14-2007 04:45 PM
Planning Austin to Ouray - help Legacy Posts Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 6 07-12-2003 05:13 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.