Twin Knobs Campground, Cave Run Lake, Morehead, KY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Twin Knobs Campground, Cave Run Lake, Morehead, KY

We decided that it would be appropriate to celebrate my 60th birthday while camping at a family favorite lake staying at Twin Knobs Campground. This property is very near Morehead Kentucky and is managed by Thousand Trails Management Services, Inc. If you don't want to read my wordy long review, I'll say right up front, this place was great and these people work their butts off to make a great experience. In a nutshell, clean, green and very very nice. Only one downside is that the sites do not have fresh water to each site but share a fresh water spigot for a group of sites. We felt this was a very small concession for such a great experience. I rate this campground 4.0 stars out of five. Not five star because of the water supply issue.

We had reservations for Friday night and Saturday night but decided not to rush out late Friday to arrive in the dark. Instead, we chose to leave early Saturday morning to arrive before lunch on Saturday. The trip was 2 hours and 35 minutes for us because we drive 55 mph when pulling Ziggy so he doesn't jump around on the roads. The driving distance was 101 miles.

We enjoyed a leisurely drive and were greeted at the camp office where we bought two bundles of firewood for $7 each. The campground is spread over a large area and our reserved site was nealy a mile from the front gate. We could hear the boats on the lake during our drive to the site. The temperature was 92° and very humid so we were very glad we have a good air conditioning system, especially for sleeping.

We were camped at H011 and enjoyed some very mature trees that wrapped us in a superb environment that felt very rustic and remote while being only 100 feet from the bath house and each of our many neighbors. Laura and I shared the task of getting water from the community spigot that was a short walk through the trees. During our visit, the weather was perfect but the forecast continue to warn of a storm front that was coming and the wind in the treetops suggested that there was a weather change pending. However, as I sit here writing this review, we still haven't received any rain and the front is still over a hundred miles away. Good for us because we enjoyed a nice breeze during most of our 24 hour stay.

Laura picked the site and made the reservation and we were located conveniently to the bath house so getting the restroom or shower was simple and easy. There were quite a few tripping hazards on the walk through the trees to the bath house but knowing those tree roots were there made for a easy walk. The bath house is frequently a sad experience at many campgrounds. NOT so here! The staff of Thousand Trails Management work hard to take care of the property and it shows. The bath house was spotless, fresh smelling and well stocked. I took great pleasure in stopping a staff member to let them know how much I appreciated their hard work. A camping experience can be ruined by poor service but that didn't happen to us. Great job to the support services of this campground.

We were working through tests on a few different mods that we've made to our Scamp and the fresh water tank that we've borrowed from another forum member to allow us to camp when not directly attached to a water supply, using a water cooler as a fresh water tank. That worked very well and allows us to keep the holding tank very clean between uses. You can barely see the camper through the trees because this campground is very mature, even though the camper is only 100 feet from the water supply.

Every camp site includes a first class fire ring and we used the ring for our campfire Saturday night but we cooked on the Cobb Grill. We were able to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as baking a birthday cake. The Cobb Grill is a great success but we burnt the cake because we expected it to take longer and we over baked it by 10 minutes. Still, we ate it and it was good.

The campgrounds were very full but the space between the site was more than adequate and we almost couldn't see our neighbors. Almost, but we could see them, despite large mature trees that populate the grounds. There are a few hiking trails but the trails are not close to the campground so we didn't try them. We did see the trails when we drove to view the lake, but since the beach is off limits to pets, and we have found small dogs, so we didn't get out there either. We did enjoy walking partly around the loop near our site.

In summary, this campground is very well designed and very well maintained. There are plenty of dumpsters and the grounds are clean very open. I've heard that there is a distinct difference between "campgrounds" and RVparks and Twin Knobs is definitely a campgrounds. We only stayed for one 24 hour period but we are looking forward to returning. Laura has already been online to look at the reservation schedule. We agree that this campground is first class and we score it four stars out of five.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Bill,

Nice review. Laura and I lived in Morehead from 1991 to 1993. We enjoyed Cave Run Lake as well as state parks in the area. We would like to try camping there sometime.

Looks like Ziggy is doing well!

Take care,

Dean