UN-Planning my Xmas get away trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am starting to plot a repeat of my rather rainy trip last year over the week between xmas and New Years.

Not quite going all the way up to Oregon this time, saving that for Bullards in July.

I will be posting parks here and asking for opinions. My ultimate distination is Jedodiah Smith SP in the Redwoods, which appears to be open then.. (If not, I can go back to that Nifty KOA in Cresent City..

For my first nite, this looks like a good spot, but I am curious if anyone has been there?

Arroyo Seco in Los Padres National Forest, between Atascadero and Salinas.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Wow. Looks like a nice campground. We love those National Forest campgrounds!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Seems like this could become an annual event . Which tug are you going to use? Maybe this year you'll be able to put some of your solar equipment to use.
We'll try to catch up with you before you "get out of Dodge"
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #4

Registry
Probably the Element since I will have the Pups. There is more room for them in it.

I will have to treat them like DOGS if in the Jeep and get them kennels and make them ride in the back hatch area. Thats OK for a couple hours, I am not sure they will put up with a long trip that way.

The Element is fast approaching 90k miles and that means that BIG service bill if I want to subject it to such a trip tho. We'll see. It has to be done regardless. But that money could better be used on the road.

Is that wishy washy enough for ya?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
With the Element you won't have to figure out new locations for your travel "accoutrements".
It's simpler to just "load and go" when you can depend on past experience so you don't forget anything. Another vehicle would require sitting down with pencil and paper, making lists, loading and reloading, then trying to fit your pooches, etc. Probably easier to use the Jeep for a short trip when boarding the dogs.
Decisions, decisions, etc.
Isn't that part of the fun? We're ducking before we become targets
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #6

Registry
The Jeep has a roof rack, and I could finally use that nice bag a member here donated to my trip last year.

Hmnn... Maybe the DOGS can ride on the roof rack?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:

The Element is fast approaching 90k miles and that means that BIG service bill if I want to subject it to such a trip tho. We'll see. It has to be done regardless. But that money could better be used on the road.

Is that wishy washy enough for ya?

Hi Gina,
I actually retired about 10 years ago. I got bored and as I love Hondas and Toyotas I tried selling them and did very well. They almost sell themselves.
What does your owners manual say to do at 90 or 100.000 miles? If you do that you will be OK. My 05 Toyota Tacoma just turned 35000 miles and the dealership in Bakersfield wanted $395.00 to do the 30,000 mile check up so I drove 200 miles to where I used to work and they did what the owners manual said to do and it cost me less than $200.00.
The service writer who I have known for many years said that it was the smart thing to do.
Service writers and service managers are on a commision just like the sales staff. The dealership recommended services are just money makers for the dealership.
I have never had the dealershhip reccomended services, I have just done what is in the owners manual and have never had a problem. I had one little Toyota truck go over 400,000 miles, in fact one of my teenage grandsons has been driving it for over a year.
Just food for thought.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #8

Registry
it's actually 110, but thats a long trip towing up some bad passes at my max weight. And I have logged many many 1000s of miles on it towing in the mountains, so I consider it to have extreme use.

I am a safety first kinda gal. I have driven Hondas since my Dad stopped butting in on which car I bought :-P and the Timing Belt thing looms well in my memory.

Manual also says oil change every 10k, but I still do it every 3. Not religiously, but close enough.

I have a mechanic that is very good and also never recomends work that doesn't need to be done. He is sort of the un official company mechanics shop. He gets LOTS of business in his shop from us, so he is sort of self policed. A bad or dishonest job would lose him a TON of work.

I never have work done at the dealer. Except for warranty or recall. I have only had the Jeep a couple months, and it has been to the dealer for new balls joints and is going back in tomorrow for a couple other recall issues and a new grill (The factory one has a flaw I wanted fixed)
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I never have work done at the dealer. Except for warranty or recall. I have only had the Jeep a couple months, and it has been to the dealer for new balls joints and is going back in tomorrow for a couple other recall issues and a new grill (The factory one has a flaw I wanted fixed)
Good for you, I hate to see dealerships upping their bottom line at the unneeded expense of their customers.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:33 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Gina,

We stayed at Elk Prairie SP a few years ago, in the summer. It's between Eureka and Crescent City. It was a beautiful campground, worth the consideration if you're going up 101. Even lives up to its name with Roosevelt elk in the prairie. (Also banana slugs for you invertebrate lovers.)

That was our pre-Casita days, and I got lost going to the facilities even though it was only across the road, even with a flashlight. I'm not used to that much night.

Have a great trip.

Marian
marian a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #11

Registry
Is that Prarie Creek Campground?

I stopped there last year for a bit, watching the Elk, but my little hologans thought those were the biggest cats they have ever seen and raised a fuss.

It's a pretty area, for sure.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #12

Registry
Yesterday, my mechanic laffed when I asked him about the 90k service and what a timing belt would cost..

seems that the Element is chain driven.

anyway, 90k is no big deal. Tune up doesn't even come until 110. (Cars are amazing these days. I am still riding on the original plugs)

I have been looking, and central California on the coastal side seems to have so much to choose from, my head is spinning. I hate to give up the Redwoods.. but seeing how much is there, I may never make it.

Whats good?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
I have been looking, and central California on the coastal side seems to have so much to choose from, my head is spinning. I hate to give up the Redwoods.. but seeing how much is there, I may never make it.

Whats good?
No need to give up the redwoods... You'll find gorgeous groves of redwoods in the canyons of the Big Sur coast, as well as Big Basin State Park in the Santa Cruz area. And Kirk Creek Campground is perfect for when you need a campsite with a view.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #14

Registry
Thanks for the Link! Some good stuff is in there.

Maybe I will just wander...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hey Gina - we can relate to the good news about first 'tune up' being over 100K miles. We have logged about 138K on our Mazda MPV (about 1/3 of those miles tugging). About 30K miles ago, DH (who is a very experienced mechanic on older "non-electonic" vehicles) thought it would be a good idea to check those spendy platinum (or whatever) plugs and replace if needed ... so he went to work. With all his knowledge, he could not even FIND the plugs. During our Christmas visit to Reno, I checked with the dealership for a quote on this chore - $368! Seems the engineers at Mazda decided it would be interesting to hide them behind the intake maniford, which must be removed in order to reach the plugs.

You guessed it ... this van will DIE with those plugs in place - Yikes!!!

Oh, for the good ol' days of 'shade tree mechanics' when you could service or repair your own car if you we so inclined.
Hope your holiday travel plans are shaping up for many safe & happy miles and lots of holiday joy.
Take care, L 'n D
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #16

Registry
Beleive me, there are many things I miss about my youth, (like.. YOUTH!) but poverty requiring me no choice but to work on my own rat trap cars is not one of them.

Jiffy Lube, good mechanic for the more complicated stuff.. I am stylin!

I am really not much of a beach kinda gal, I am more forest oriented and did want to stay a bit closer to the 101.

I have done the 1 it's full length, and it IS beautiful, but only having a short time to do this, I was thinking more of being on faster roads. The kids don't ride well for hours on end.

I sure liked Cambria tho. The fog and drizzle suits me. I could have watched the beach storm we had for days.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Thanks for the Link! Some good stuff is in there.

FYI Gina,

Kirk Creek is #1 - America's Most Scenic Campgrounds

Check out Top 10 Scenic Campgrounds
http://www.weather.com/activities/recreati...pten/camp1.html

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Some of the best trips I've taken were just wandering. There's been a couple where we didn't decide which way to turn at the end of the driveway until we there. Thought we might head for one place, changed our minds 3 or 4 times before we settled. By the time we figured out where we wanted to go we were there. Typically a change or two on the road, then a couple more changes while walking down the trail.

As a matter of fact until we got the trailer we almost always changed our minds on the way. Even changed our minds in rounte with the trailer a couple of times. Some of the best trips are that way.

We've already planned a wandering part of a trip next summer. Going to Bullards, then to Burlington WA. We've got 4 days to get to Burlington. That will be the wandering time. No reservations, no deadlines, etc.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Some of the best trips I've taken were just wandering. There's been a couple where we didn't decide which way to turn at the end of the driveway until we there. Thought we might head for one place, changed our minds 3 or 4 times before we settled. By the time we figured out where we wanted to go we were there. Typically a change or two on the road, then a couple more changes while walking down the trail.

As a matter of fact until we got the trailer we almost always changed our minds on the way. Even changed our minds in rounte with the trailer a couple of times. Some of the best trips are that way.

We've already planned a wandering part of a trip next summer. Going to Bullards, then to Burlington WA. We've got 4 days to get to Burlington. That will be the wandering time. No reservations, no deadlines, etc.
Hi: "I wonder where I wander" Sounds like retirement too me Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #20

Registry
Planning and Wandering is an Oxymoron.

These links prrovide many beautiful places tucked up in the trees. They all look good.

My question tho, not that I am cheap, is why are the camp fees so high for non hook up spots? 27-30 bones in the state run ones.

That Fernwood resort looks great!