Vancouver Island to Louisiana... and back... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
We're leaving Nanaimo on Nov 29 for six - seven weeks and heading to Louisiana for Christmas with the in-laws, taking 'sweet p' (our '74 Trill). We plan on taking the M.S. Coho from Victoria to Port Angeles, then heading all the way down the 101 to LA, then across I-10.

We want to do a max of 200 - 250 miles a day, and would really welcome some suggestions on campgrounds.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Paul, have you picked general areas where you'd like to be at each stop? That info would help me with my suggestions for you. Sounds like a great trip!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Hi Paul,
We traveled the Washington & Oregon coast last summer.
Our favorite parks were:
Klaloch NP, WA
Cape Disappointment SP, WA
Beverly Beach SP, OR and our top pick,
Harris Beach SP, OR
All these parks are hard to get reservations for in the summer, but I would think you'd be fine this time of year.
Have fun!
paul & norma
paulw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This time of the year camping spots generally not a problem. If one place is full the next won't be.

With that in mind you want to look at other attractions and not worry about camping. One source of information is here.

There's many things to see and do along the Oregon, Washington, and California coast. Since you only plan on traveling 200 to 250 miles per day there's lots of time to take in the sights.

Some areas in Oregon to consider spending some time.
Fort Stevens State Park. Visit the old fort.
Seaside. Take a walk on the board walk.
Tillamook. Visit the cheese factory.
Pacific City. check out the beach where the dories launch.
Depot Bay. Watchs the boats navagate the narrow channel under the bridge.
Newport. The aquarium. This a must see.
Stop at some of the waysides for views of crashing waves and shore birds.

The attractions are many. There's only two of the above have fees associated with them. Ft. Stevens and the New Port Aquarium (I believe it's called the Oregon Aquarium)

There's nothing wrong with any of the state, federal, and county parks as a place to stay.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Paul,

When you are passing through Texas on I-10 check out the Hill Country area. It's very pretty. Lost Maples State Park is close to I-10. Also if you have time, Enchanted Rock or Pedernales State Park are great but a little off your main drive. If you're planning a stop near Houston, just keep driving... no seriously, one hour south is Galeston Island State Park on the Gulf. Great this time of year. Hope this helps.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f.../hill_country/
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
A couple of ideas for stops along the Oregon coast...

Sea Lion Caves, located north of Florence, is a fantastic stop when seas are stormy and sea lions take refuge in the cave. An incredible sight!

The Holiday Lights at Shore Acres is a great way to get in the holiday spirit. Parking is free with a current Oregon State Park camping receipt. From the gardens a short trail heads north to a remarkable viewpoint for waves breaking along the shoreline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shoreacreswave.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	5568

Happy travels!
Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
There are only two true wineries in Oregon. My favorite is in Astoria. It's called the Shallon Winery and well worth the stop. The fellow who owns/runs it is a wonderful charactor. He also makes a chocolate/orange wine which is incredible. http://www.shallon.com/

The other winery is beside the Devil's Punchbowl off hwy 101....
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
There are only two true wineries in Oregon.
Guess you haven't been to Oregon in a while! Or I don't understand what you mean by "True Wineries." My favorite is the Willamette Valley Vineyards. You can see the vines (and winery) from the eastside of I-5, south of Salem.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Guess you haven't been to Oregon in a while! Or I don't understand what you mean by "True Wineries."
I agree, Donna. There are 10-12 wineries just in our little area.

Umpqua Valley Wineries

My favorite winery (not for the wine but for the painting location ) is:

Henry Estates Winery

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
There are only two true wineries in Oregon. My favorite is in Astoria. It's called the Shallon Winery and well worth the stop. The fellow who owns/runs it is a wonderful charactor. He also makes a chocolate/orange wine which is incredible. http://www.shallon.com/

The other winery is beside the Devil's Punchbowl off hwy 101....

Don't let the folks around Dundee hear you say that.

The growing climate and soil are close that where the best French wines are made. Oregon's wine producing is world class. There are litterly hundreds of good wineries. Oregon's wine labeling laws are unique also. Unlike California, you can't call a blended wine by the major grape name. A blended wine must have some other name than that of the major grape the wine was made from.

Come to Oregon and take one of many wine tasting tours.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #11

I agree that Oregon has some great grape growing regions, but there are only two wineries that make wine. The rest of the grapes are shipped out to be fermented elsewhere. Some "wineries" don't do either. They purchase the processed wine at an auction and bottle it with their own label.... I know, I was shocked last year when I learned all this, but such is the nature of business.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #12

Now I may have misunderstood, perhaps it's only the coast of Oregon that only has two true wineries.... I stand corrected if that is the case. I do know that there are lots of non-wineries on the coast that purchase bottled wine to label....

jen
Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
I agree that Oregon has some great grape growing regions, but there are only two wineries that make wine. The rest of the grapes are shipped out to be fermented elsewhere. Some "wineries" don't do either. They purchase the processed wine at an auction and bottle it with their own label.... I know, I was shocked last year when I learned all this, but such is the nature of business.

I'm not sure about that.
Oregon has the most stringent wine labeling laws in the country. In 2003 a the Oregon Wine Board was created by legislative action. I read a bit about the labeling laws a few years ago. The actions you're refering to would require labeling with something other than the name of the grape and I don't think they could be labeled it Oregon Wine unless the wine was actually made in Oregon. There's always weasle words to get around the laws.

I don't know what the current number wineries is, but in 2000 it was 135.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
I know you're at least part right. I took a wine tour a couple of years ago and there was actually a wine tasting in a U-Store-It facility What they did was ferment their own wine, but bought the grapes from growers...not their own grown. I think this is pretty common. There are far more grape growers than vintners.

Hey Paul (jrnutpaul), you're a award winning vintner...care to join in?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Paul, one of my favorite places in the world is the Morro Dunes Campground in Morro Bay almost in the shadow of Morro Rock. It's not too far off 101.

There's some great camping along the Mendocino Coast as well. Fort Bragg, CA offers some great scenery, good accommodations and excellent food. MacKerricher State Park is beautiful, and the Harbor RV Park is right at the foot of the bridge over Noyo Harbor and also has ocean views. Cap'n Flint's Seafood restaurant in Noyo Harbor is a must in Fort Bragg. Cap'n Flint is an old friend who used to occasionally sail with us on ClearLake when we lived there, and his seafood is second to none.

After you get south of Morro Bay, there are some state beaches that you'll pass along the way. You pretty much see what you get as you drive by with those.

After you turn left at LA and head for the desert, here is a site that may help you find someplace along I-10: Camping along California I-10 I don't have any experience with any of these places...

Have a great trip!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #16

It's November 29....if you're heading out today Paul, have a safe and memorable trip
Old 11-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #17

My thoughts exactly, the weather up here has been pretty bad - hope you get away safely!