Waitng for the Flood - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It has been predicted by our oh so accurate weatherman, that the mountains this weekend are in for a helatious storm, consisting of thunder, lightning and most welcome rain.

Now, TL &R over the desert is a sight to see. It's different when the sky is unobstructed by those pesky trees and such. The sky lights up in various colors, not just a white flash, and the lightening seem to span the horizon. At home, the sky lights up, but because of the massive trees in my yard, you never actually see the bolt itself. ... so...

I am down at a San Bernardino Co. Campground near my house. Mojave River Forks, as a campground in the summer is a horid place. It was 114 the last time I was here.. ugh! Today tho, it is chilly .. hoody weather for sure, and my solar panels would be dead weight if I had them out.

It is right at the edge, where Chaparral meets Pines.. what the Californians (And no one else) call Timberline. Every else uses timberline as where the trees END.. by, I digress... anyway...

It's sort of a 1/2 way point between the Mojave desert and the Pines of the mountains plateau, and from my full hook up spot, for 20 whole bucks, if I look behind me, I can see the Mojave rim, in front and to my left, the San Bernardinos, and to my right, the San Gabriels. And really, nothing else. This is out in the middle of nowhere.

The sky is wide open here, and it's a perfect place for a quick trip to watch the weather. With full hook ups, I am warm and cozy, not to mention well lit (And I haven't any beer!)

So far, from my front row seat, I have only seen the rolling cloud formations (360 degrees worth!) and we have gotten big drizzle, but nothing else. It's the precursor to electrical storm tho. This is on the Cajon Pass and back aways, so the wind has been steady, but not pounding.. just a little over what I am comfortable pulling my awning out in.

And no, my camera, as usual, is at home...

This would actually be a good spot for a Winter Warm up sometime.. time to start rally planning.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

My wife is talking to her mother in La Verne just off old Route 66 (Foothill Bvld) and it is pouring rain there on & off. Around 5 pm CA time.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Registry
I think thats rolling up this way. The lumpy formations have turned to black, and the drips have started.

Too bad it is getting dark.. looks like the storm will be at night.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Maybe you'll get a fantastic lightning show after dark, Gina.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's going to be gorgeous and sunny here. Know how I know? I postponed our Annual Corgi Picnic due to the expected rain! So now I'm sure it won't come. Maybe that will keep you dry, too, Gina.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #6

Registry
nothing has happened yet. That weatherman.. liar liar pants on fire!

It will wake me up at 3, no doubt.

Just took the pups out for a walk, and it was WARM. When I came in a couple hours ago, I had a hoody on and I also broke out the space heater for inside.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #7

Registry

Big Thunder, BIG Lightning! Ha Ha!.. this is VERY cool!

I am on a mountain wide bulletin board and folks all across the Rim are tracking it. It's headed straight for.. here!

There is no rain right now tho. I would love to go outside and get a more expansive view.. but that would be.... stewpid.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
8:57 PM

Gina,
About 25 small spots per square foot on the south side of the mountain right now. We're hoping for a nice gentle rain but our experience, when a big storm is predicted, is ...nothing!
Morning will tell!

Enjoy the show!!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #9

Registry
there were down strikes in Lake Arrowhead and Cedar Glen.

Don't say "Small Spot" please.. they get to be BIG spots this time of year.

At least I am already evaced
Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
9:32 PM

Spots dried up, just enough breeze to hear it in the tree tops.
Don't forget to turn clocks back an hour tonight!
Maybe we'll even get an extra hour's sleep!

Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Did it hit you, Gina? It poured here overnight but I didn't hear any thunder.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #12

Registry
It rained off and on all nite and the wind whipped around quite a bit, as it is doing now.

There is nothing like walking dogs with really floppy ears in the wind. They don't seem to mind the Beagle salute. Their ears just float like little kites.

I watched a coyote stalking the campsite this morning while having my coffee inside. The pups were inside, so I could just watch without worry. While he/she was staring at my rig, a big old tumbleweed snuck up on it from behind. Scared the you know what out of it! It jumped about 4 feet off the ground, then landed, looked and ran away.

I am essentially ready to leave, just have to disconnect the water and electric, load the tubs back in. I only came down to see the show, and used the trailer as a theatre box, so I didn't set up lights, awnings etc.

I am just waiting for the wind to die down a bit.

Time for more coffee!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #13

Registry
Well, I have decided this will be a good place to sped my traditional Thanksgiving camping trek. 20 bucks for full comfort and close to home is hard to resist, and the terrain is every bit like what I would like to do in the eastern siearra areas of the 395.

Anyone that wishes to join, you should have no trouble getting a warm spot. There are 25 full hook up sites, all wih diferent unobstructed views of the open sky and various landscape.

I will post in the rally thread and see if I can collect those that have no obligations for the holiday, or can not make it home to be with family. (My family is in Oregon and Colorado, and if there is anything I feel uncomfortable about it's being the pathetic invite to other folks family gatherings.. even tho I am grateful to be thought of and welcomed as family at each and every one I have attended.

Liz and Eric introduced me to the alternative joy of full eatin and fixings at a picnic table, while all bundled up in parkas and such. It really is closer to the original TG than what we do now.

Anyone interested, look for the thread in "Rallys"!

look for the thread!