Washington burn bans - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Washington burn bans

Quote:
Washington State Parks announced today that campfires in all state parks will be prohibited until further notice to help prevent human-caused wildfires during the hot, dry season on both sides of the Cascade Mountains.

Campers will be allowed to use devices that allow for control of combustion, including propane and liquid gas stoves appropriate for camping and backcountry use; propane barbecue devices that do not use solid briquettes; propane or pressurized white gas warming devices that have a shield or base; and solid fuel citronella or other candles in a metal bucket or glass container.

In prescribing the ban on campfires, Washington State Parks officials said they are following the lead of the Department of Natural Resources, which Tuesday notified the public of a ban on all outdoor burning on lands protected by DNR.
I wouldn't mind much if I hadn't just bought a Dutch oven!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bobbie, one good rain storm and the ban will be lifted. It's a small price to pay to protect our beautiful forests from human-caused fires.

I haven't heard about burn bans in Oregon, but am expecting to hear about it soon. Right now, it's the Mother Nature lightning strikes that are causing problems.

Thanks to all the fire fighters on the lines protecting our natural resources, homes, businesses, and animals (domestic and wild).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Registry
We're getting the thunderstorms but I doubt it will be enough to lift the ban. I think we'd need a week of rain. I've picked the week- Aug 11-18- so I hope that doesn't inconvenience any of you!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bobbie, one good rain storm and the ban will be lifted. It's a small price to pay to protect our beautiful forests from human-caused fires.

I haven't heard about burn bans in Oregon, but am expecting to hear about it soon. Right now, it's the Mother Nature lightning strikes that are causing problems.

Thanks to all the fire fighters on the lines protecting our natural resources, homes, businesses, and animals (domestic and wild).

There is burning bans in Oregon, mostly State Forests. It's kind of spotty as to where the bans exists and the extent. Some have been since the middle of July. If going into any forested areas it would be a good idea to check it out. A couple places even ban smoking inside your vehicle, I believe the Tillamook Forest (aka the Tillamook Burn), is one area where smoking is banned also, I could be wrong on that one.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'll take that over being trapped in a wildfire. I've been around a few really small ones...no thanks.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #6

Registry
True, I had actually been thinking about that a few days ago- how dry it was and what the woods would be like where we are going. Another reason to hope for rain, especially as I'm not convinced a campfire ban helps much. Though I know campfires do start some forest fires, I think in the state parks there is enough supervision and can easily be enough education to prevent them. At South Whidbey last week, for example, someone came around and checked the campfires after checkout. But a burn ban does increase awareness. We had thunderstorms today (only distant thunder where I am, though) which I hope did not spark too many new fires. It's unusual in Washington for the bans to include campfires.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Effective at 12 noon on Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013, all open fires, including campfires are banned in most of BC as well. Still allowed to use propane appliances such as stoves and small fire pits.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Rain

Parts of Wenatche just got 1 inch of rain so that they had floods but there, again, rain can be over a limited area and outside that area still be tinder dry.

Photo gallery: Help from friends after flash flooding

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I counted 6 drops of rain while mowing this afternoon.
Waiting for my turn in the shower.................whew, i tink.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #10

Registry
My beautiful new Dutch oven is still sad. But I'll have fun camping anyway.