Washington County Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Washington County Maine

We're on our way to PEI and have stopped for a couple of days in a campground between Calais, the border crossing to New Brunswick, and Eastport. This is a beautiful part of ME. Washington county is the size of Rhode Island and Deleware, about 2700 square miles yet contains only 35,000 people.

Cobscook bay near Eastport, part of the Bay of Fundy has 40 square miles that become uncovered at low tide and the flow of water at the changing of the tides is equal to the flow of the Missiissippi River.

My real purpose was to tell you about out campground. We're staying at Hilltop campground in Robbinston, ME. It's a Passport America park and with water and electric we are paying $13.38 a night complete with swimming pool. The park is high on a hill with views across the bay to St. Andrews. NB. This is the least we've paid at a public park is many years.

We are driving up to Calais today to checkout the community and have lunch at the Nook and Cranny, one of those special local restuarants.

Interestingly Robbinsport is next to Perry ME. Perry is locatted on the 45th latitude, making it half way to the north pole from the equator.

Safe travels to all and being back on the road feels very, very good,

Norm and Ginny
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
I love hearing about your trip since I plan to travel that way next year. I have been bookmarking your great sites and ideas so please continue to post the special places you visit. Thank you.
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #3

Florida
Carol,

Before we started RVing it was our plan to retire to the coast of Maine or North Carolina. We have been on virtually every road on the coast of ME from Rockport to Eastport. There are so many beautiful vistas and places to see. Each side road is a delight. Today we had lunch at the New Friendly diner in Perry, ME. Ginny had great Fich and Chips and I had a giant Lobster roll. Almost as good as Red's in Wisscasset ME. Red's a must if you like lobster. Red's building is about the size of a Scamp and his rolls are known world wide. People line up before they open.

Do you plan to go to the anadadian Maritimes? By car or RV? we've done the trip both ways 4 or 5 times and would be glad to share some worth while places to visit.

Norm
Old 07-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Norm and Ginny,
You are making me homesick.
Even though I am now a born again TEXICAN, I was originally a Mainiac/Maritimer most of my early years. Mother was from that part of Washington Co and Dad was Aroostook Co. There were family farms in Red Beach and near St. Stephen, NB. Still have plenty of kinfolk in the area on both sides of the river.
Have a great trip.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
Yes, I have been collecting brochures and travel plans for PEI and New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc. All look so beautiful and peaceful. I will probably go to Maine this fall and drive around. Yes, I will take my trailer and find some lovely spots to rest!I will take the ferry when I make the big trip!
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

Florida
Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMarie View Post
Yes, I have been collecting brochures and travel plans for PEI and New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc. All look so beautiful and peaceful. I will probably go to Maine this fall and drive around. Yes, I will take my trailer and find some lovely spots to rest!I will take the ferry when I make the big trip!
I assume you mean the ferry from Maine (Portland or Bar Harbor) to Nova Scotia. We've never done that, having always driven. I guess because we have a lot of time and there is so much to see. Our ferry excursions have been to Newfoundland and around Labrador.

Our first trip to Newfoundland was on a high speed catamaran. As we got on they gave us crackers, a barf bag and a warm face cloth. Bad signs. That ship did 55 knots, really fast but not a good ride at all. Next time we took the more traditional ferry 6 hours instead of 2.

From Portland Me to the extreme tip of Nova Scotia is 750 miles, like driving to Myrtle Beach from Brewster.

We love all the Maritime Provinces but our favorite is far and away Newfoundland. We have found exploring this areas takes a lot longer than we would have imagined. Our first time to Newfoundland we planned to see the place in 12 days. We've now accumulated about 4 months there and are ready to return.

I think this part of the world is so relaxing, so out of our mainstream ways, that you just want to stay.

Norm
Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
norm and ginny---glad you are enjoying the maritime hospitality! i must have been an old sailor in another life, being drawn to the shore everywhere i go, having a special affinity for lighthouses and small fishing villages and a deep attraction for ferries! not bad for a born-and-bred big city girl! safe trip.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
The Cat Ferry service between Bar Harbor, ME and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia ceased service in 2009. It was fun, I used it in 2003. You drove on and let someone else do the driving.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
The Cat Ferry service between Bar Harbor, ME and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia ceased service in 2009. It was fun, I used it in 2003. You drove on and let someone else do the driving.
We had been on the Bluenose ferry 3 times before it became a Cat. We really enjoyed the 6 hour ride from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth. Not sure we'd really like the fast Cat. Sounds like it'd gone too?
Don't miss Flo's hotdogs in Ogunquit too.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #10

Florida
Chris Z,

We've eaten at Flo's many times. Actually this weekend in Prince Edward Island we had Flo's sauce on both our Hot Dogs and Hamburgers.

My daughter in law is a real Mainer and knows the secret recipe and brought some in their rig to PEI, a little bit of Maine in PEI.

Life is good,

Norm
Old 07-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #11

Florida
Theresa P

While in PEI I tried to intice Ginny to continue on thru Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, Labrador and Quebec. If you don't ask you don't get. I didn't get but did ask.

Norm
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Ok... How about this one? Barnacle Billy's Black raspberry ice cream while sitting on Marginal Way watching the waves crash. I have found some black raspbery ice cream at a few other places but not like Barnacle Billy's!
(my Siser-in-law used to live in Sanford and we'd go there all the time in Sept)
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote