Well Poop! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Well Poop!

Hi all,

As we had planed our winter escape from Mich winter and FINALLY after several years scored a slot at Big Bend Nat'l Park we received this email today.

"Hello, All camping in Big Bend National Park is closed for the duration of the federal government lapse in funding. Reservations are not being honored. "

Well El Torro Poo Poo on the current Admin head throwing a temper tantrum.
At the end of the day as they say we have been mildly inconvenienced. It is the Fed. Employees who are taking it in the shorts.

In any case RVParky to the rescue.
A new RV park:Paisano Village RV Park & Inn had space for us for the Jan 18-23 dates! Only $35 per night. No bath house, but our new Escape 19 will certainty suffice since the Nat'l Park was boon docking in any case.

This will entail a lot of day trips. However better situated so we can travel to both the Texas State Park to the east of the Big Bend Nat'L park, as well as thought the BB National Park.

I am assuming (hoping) Sunset campground in Death Valley which is also basically boon docking will still be available by the end of Feb. Likely our Joshua Tree compound reservations may be cancelled (?) if this issue is not resolved in time.

The beauty of small is beautiful FG means we can adopt to changing conditions. Living in the 3rd world for >25 years we learned to adapt with rapidly changing conditions on a weekly if not daily basis.

So no big deal.

At some point I will post a travel update. Currently staying in

Fontainebleau State Park, LA.

Cheers all,
BatDude

B. C. & E.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
That's unfortunate. Two years ago we stopped Big Bend NP for 10 days. It is beautiful. Also stopped at Seminole Canyon SP for a couple of days which has ancient rock paintings and a beautiful canyon. This SP appears to be on your route from LA.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Hi all,

As we had planed our winter escape from Mich winter and FINALLY after several years scored a slot at Big Bend Nat'l Park we received this email today.

"Hello, All camping in Big Bend National Park is closed for the duration of the federal government lapse in funding. Reservations are not being honored. "

At the end of the day as they say we have been mildly inconvenienced. It is the Fed. Employees who are taking it in the shorts.

A new RV park:Paisano Village RV Park & Inn had space for us for the Jan 18-23 dates! Only $35 per night. No bath house, but our new Escape 19 will certainty suffice since the Nat'l Park was boon docking in any case.

This will entail a lot of day trips. However better situated so we can travel to both the Texas State Park to the east of the Big Bend Nat'L park, as well as thought the BB National Park.

I am assuming (hoping) Sunset campground in Death Valley which is also basically boon docking will still be available by the end of Feb. Likely our Joshua Tree compound reservations may be cancelled (?) if this issue is not resolved in time.

The beauty of small is beautiful FG means we can adopt to changing conditions. Living in the 3rd world for >25 years we learned to adapt with rapidly changing conditions on a weekly if not daily basis.

So no big deal.

Cheers all,
BatDude

B. C. & E.

Bruce you need to pay attention to what your government is doing. This shutdown started before Christmas and looks like it will continue for some time. ALL NATIONAL parks BLM and forest service campgrounds are effected.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Seminole Canyon State Park is well worth a stop. Take the Ranger guided tour down through the canyon to see the rock paintings.

There is camping at Big Bend State Park next door. Is the commercial campground (Rio Grande Village) in the park also closed?

We’ve also stayed at Fountainebleau State Park - worth the stop!
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Old 01-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hi all,

So no big deal.

Cheers all,
BatDude

B. C. & E.
It is pretty clear where you have placed the blame for the shut down.

Write to any US congressman presently in the majority and demand that he stop acting like a petulant child and vote for the country, and not just against the present head of the administration.

If you figure we don't need no stinking borders ,then go to the park illegally without paying and be a squatter.

We were locked out of a ScampCamp in Oct. 2013, during the last government shutdown when the head of the administration was of the opposite party... who did you blame then??

We found a local KOA which gave us a competitive price and went right on living. We were denied deposit refunds, but they allowed them to be applied to a subsequent reservation.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Bruce you need to pay attention to what your government is doing. This shutdown started before Christmas and looks like it will continue for some time. ALL NATIONAL parks BLM and forest service campgrounds are effected.
While it is true that there is some effect on some National Parks they are not all closed because some of them are run by concession companies rather than federal employees. That statement is from the Federal Government.

This following information is based on what I am seeing in the youtube Vlogs of persons who live full time in their RVs and post frequently about their daily lives.

Most of the BLM land is still open, only a few of the very sensitive areas such as Joshua Tree have been closed. A lot of the BLM rangers in the areas in Southern Arizona are still there and are working without pay (words right from the mouth of a BLM ranger who was being interviewed yesterday at an event on BLM land near Quartzsite). From the reports I am seeing on youtube and from blogs of people who are currently visiting those Arizona areas most of them that had services such as water, garbage dumpsters etc still have those services available.

Forest Service areas may or may not be open. Some of them are gated and may be closed, others are still open.

Your best bet is not to rely on generalized statements in forums from persons who are not actively at the sites but instead try to find blogs or vlogs with recent postings by persons who are currently camping in the area you want to visit. When you do a search on the internet or on youtube use filters that specifiy the time such as that day, that week or the last 30 days.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have to be careful here, considering the forum rule:

Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.

So I'll just say that one or more of our "elected" officials (whom shall remain nameless) has certainly lost my vote in all future elections. A closed campground is bad enough when our taxes have paid to support it, but other things like the present reduction in security at airports is a real danger.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:

As I started reading, my first thought was that there must be a private CG somewhere near. The park is big and so to explore it you would be making many day trips anyway.

Enjoy your travels regardless of what the government does. BB NP is a great place to see.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
But NOT all COE or military installation campgrounds are closed ... check first.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
If you happen to be near Quartzsite AZ the first week of February you can attend the Quartzsite Rally for free.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #11

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
We visited Joshua Tree in January of 2017. No camp sites available within the park when we arrived, but the ranger directed us down the road to a private campground with plenty of spaces. I believe it was Joshua Tree Lake & RV Campground. It was clean and quiet, but it's just a giant dirt lot with no privacy. It is only a short drive into the North entrances of the park.

Nearby Anza-Borrego State Park may have sites available as well. We never camped there but it is definitely worth the visit.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #12

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
NP campground cancellation

Hi all,

Certainly do not want to stir up a political debate so will not go there.
Many useful suggestions posted here. TNX.

As noted using RVParky I did find a nearby private/commercial campground so all is well there.

Yes I realize this issue with the border debate and shutdown started in Dec. however in order to get a reservation in many Nat'l Parks one must make the reservations >6 months in advance. As we learned for many state parks like Florida it may need to be 11-12 months out in order to confirm a slot.

So advanced planning is necessary for many sites.

I assume that Sunset in Death Valley that is boon docking and never filled up will not be an issue and simply show up. Byron & Anne are likely to be there so will be great to meet up again. When we were very green newbies back in 2014 we were worried about our first boon docking

Byron provided a gazillion useful tips that alleviated our concerns.

Prior to DV we are still reserved in Joshua Tree NP and have stayed years back in a commercial RV park to the north. When one enjoys nature and immersion in it, it is not the same as being in the park. As I am recording and monitoring bats a commercial RV park to the north will not necessary provide data.

Also we did spend a few days at Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in Calif back in 2014. Wonderful park but not dog friendly. Still worth a few days stay if one can get in. Most sites are however reserved eons in advance so it may be hard to get in as drop in.

I will not hold my breath for a rapid settlement of the border wall issue. Given that it appeared not to be a priority for the past 2 years with the administration when there was one party control it seems now more of an ego thing.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Another vote for Seminole Canyon and the drive on Hwy 90 in general. Also the road from Terlingua to Presidio. Hopefully "adults" will soon prevail!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Note. Site Team is watching this thread. Keep it about how/where to go camping, and the thread remains open.

Any more posts about who's to blame for the US govt. shutdown will be cause for this thread to be shutdown; it might also be deleted.

You ALL know the Community Rule against political discussions, and you know we know you do. Thank you for keeping FiberglassRV.com a snark-free site.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #15

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I worked during the 1995 shutdown. We did not close down the forest--I worked for the Forest Service. The campgrounds in our area were closed, but for the winter--not because of the shut down.

I am sure that the "dispersed" areas on National Forest and BLM are not closed, unless as mentioned before, they are in a sensitive place. Gates may be locked on some roads, but that is likely because they are locked each winter to prevent damage to the road.

To close an entire National Forest is a daunting task in the summer, when seasonal employees are working. In the winter? Pretty futile.

Note that National Forests are not National Parks. National Forests are more relaxed places. Sometimes the scenery is just as good as in a Park, and you can take your dog along on a hike ('cept for areas where you can't).

That's my take on it.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
It might be worth your while to check out the commercial RGV campground within the Park. I don't think they take reservations and, with all the uncertainty, I would think you have a good chance of getting lucky. Its much more convenient to stay within the Park and this could save a lot of driving.

Lots of great trails within the Park. On the east side, Hot Springs is a must. The Window and Lost Mine Trail are in The Basin area and both can be hiked in the same day. Castolon is worth a stop on the west side. Hit all the pull offs and read the signage. I suspect maintenance on the back roads has suffered in the shutdown and wouldn't get too far off the pavement without 4WD/AWD or a second vehicle for company.

Starlight Theater in Terlingua has a surprisingly good menu. Share a cold one on the porch of the next door general store with the locals before dinner. La Kiva is a unique bar and grill and worth a stop (not sure about the food as its changed hands since our last visit). Walk through the cemetary in Terlingua.

Looking forward to a trip report. We haven't been in a couple of years but hope to stop by on our way west this Spring.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Currently the BB village consession campground is open, we were just there.
The Organ pipe campground is also open.
The BLM land just south of Why is available also, at no cost. About 20 or so of us enjoying the desert about a mile north of the check station
Closed Thread