welp,,,here we go for trip #8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
welp,,,here we go for trip #8

leaving in the morningto spend the next 5 days or so in the beautiful town of evart michigan for the evart dulcimer festival. glad we reserved a site about 8 miles from the county fairgrounds as they have been filled for the last week with people getting there early.

taking one of our grand sons with us, we usually take one or two grandkids along . hopefully we give them good memories of gramma and grampa.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post

taking one of our grand sons with us, we usually take one or two grandkids along . hopefully we give them good memories of gramma and grampa.
I can't think of a better reason to own a camper. Enjoy. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Raz. You're giving your grandkids the gift of great memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We are heading for Blue Licks Resort State Park tomorrow. No grandkid. Going to explore battlefield where my 6th ggrandpa fought in the Rev. Then to Monticello, and back to KY.

Uhaul is all spiffed up, thanks to Kevin and sports the new Uhaul stickers, although the Uhaul has a naked butt. The new back sticker had a booboo, so we will have to get it replaced. It still looks spiffy.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #5

Michigan
wow that was a great trip, major rain and lightning wed. night. struck a tree about 100 feet from us. but we slept snug and dry. rained most of the day thurs. but we enjoyed the dulcimer festival anyway. great music.
we participated in a shape note singing seminar, mountian dulcimer seminar, ukulele seminar. and just enjoyed so may instruments from the penny whistle to the hurdy gurdy.
i was chief cook and made some crazy dishes all of which the wife and grandson enjoyed,,,,even if they did give me a couple funny looks.
it is amaising how many people just have to stop and chat with us about our little 13 footer. i give out scamp business card with my name on them just in case they buy one...i could get a couple hundred if i send them a customer.that would pay for a trip or two camping fees.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
If you also enjoy bluegrass music, there are bluegrass festivals (generally small, local ones) thru out the Mo. and Arkansas Ozarks. One of the bigger ones is in West Plains, Mo. in late June when the town has its Ozarks heritage festival. Mt. View, Arkansas is another place that comes to mind, with spontanous picking/singing/ grinning in the evenings at the town square.

You trip and experiences sounded wonderful.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quite a number of years ago we were in a small campground in Austin, Nevada on U.S. 50, which bills itself as the loneliest highway in America. As we sat in our campsite we took in the Nev state fiddle competition at the very small fairground just across the road.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #8

Michigan
i just love american roots music in all its forms. more people should recognise the value of music that was made in the living rooms and back porches of the people of america.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sounds like you had a great trip. I started playing a mountain dulcimer last fall. I sure wish I would have known earlier how enjoyable it is. American roots music (old fiddle tunes) are great. Some of lyrics are pretty funny too.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i just love american roots music in all its forms. more people should recognise the value of music that was made in the living rooms and back porches of the people of america.
I think we've lost a lot. Our entertainment now has to come canned and paid for. I remember as a child going to "country" dances with my parents. The music was provided by my grandfather, fiddler, and a few other local musicians. It was just a bunch of people getting together, enjoying the company and the music. I even remember dancing and with a girl. I don't remember who, but it didn't and doesn't matter.
On a more positive note, there seems to be a resurgence of the old music and instruments. I hope it continues.