What site class do you reserve (reserveamerica.com) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
What site class do you reserve (reserveamerica.com)

For a 16' Scamp which should I reserve when I'm not looking for full hook-ups?

I assume that "Tent" sites are out of question since most won't have the parking for the TV and trailer, and I wouldn't want to bother die hard tent campers with an RV near them anyway.

It seems like a Popup site would not be an issue size wise...but is there taboo with a FGRV parking among popups? It isn't much bigger but I don't know. I'm new to this whole RV camping and I don't want to step on any toes.

I'm guessing "Standard" sites are fine and "RV" sites will be a little bit on the larger side for our setup. I'd rather be tucked in to a site than in something wide open.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
If you look at the details of a specific site on Reserveamerica you should see the paved (or gravel) length of the site. My understanding is that as long as your trailer fits on the paved area you are fine.

We are camping in a few weeks on a tent site because all the serviced trailer sites at the campsite were full. I checked that it would be okay to use a tent site and the advice above is what I was given.

Brian
Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
My experience with small travel trailers is they fit about any site. I look for 30 amp power (run all my stuff and the AC), and water so I can have hot water. Water is not critical. I've camped on tent sites and motorhome sites. Makes no difference to me!

Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
I just tell them the length and they give me a site. Once there, we usually ride the bikes around and make a note of the sites we like and request them next time. If backing in is a problem for some, a pull thru site can be requested. I prefer some privacy but some places thats not possible. It annoying to camp beside some big rig with tinted windows figuring theyre sitting in there watching us. As a general rule, water and power are disired with the camper.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Here's a thread with just about every point of view.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ite-52236.html

Since I don't need a site with hook ups, I prefer not to pay the extra. Usually that's not an issue but at some places a tent site is just that, a site for a tent with a path to a community parking lot. Happy camping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We only had an issue on this when reserving a site at Fort DeSoto in Florida. We wanted a site that was designated for popups, told them our Uhaul wasn't any bigger than a pop up, and finally got the OK. But then later we had to cancel so never did get there. At some campgrounds tent sites are not accessible to a trailer like Raz says. If its questionable what will fit on a site it's best to call the campground direct.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Some of the parks around here, there are tent site areas that are "walk in" and you must park in a lot and carry your gear to your site. Other parks, no distinction is made between sites for camper trailers or for tenting. It usually is best to ask when you make your booking what your options may be.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Place we camped at last weekend (Adirondack Camping Village) had some carry-your-gear-in sites. They had a wide variety of spaces to suit about anybody!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #9

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Here's a thread with just about every point of view.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ite-52236.html

Since I don't need a site with hook ups, I prefer not to pay the extra. Usually that's not an issue but at some places a tent site is just that, a site for a tent with a path to a community parking lot. Happy camping, Raz
Thanks for the link. I searched but couldn't find this thread on my own.

We don't have a generator. Power/water sites would be nice but most of the places we want to camp in the white mountains don't have hookups so I guess I will call and ask about parking area length before booking anything. I'd like to be around other small campers and popups, not 45' rolling mansions, and I'd like to be polite to the tent campers too.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
All the National Forest Service campgrounds on and around the Kancamagus (WMNF) are one size fits all. Mostly outhouses and hand pumps. I'm not sure about reservations, we go when it's not crowded. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I often camp with my 16' in areas with tents and pop up sites.

Just be warned that some of the tent and pop up sites are also restricted due to the tight turns in the roads leading into them & not due to the size of the camping spot. Some places will indicate that total combo length is restricted to say under 32' feet or whatever for that reason only - not due to the camping site being to short. Just make sure you read *all the details/warnings* that may be on the parks reservation site in regards to what you book.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #12

New Hampshire
Thanks. Raz, I was actually just looking at the Kanc as a stop on our trip. I drove through a few weeks ago on my way to Mt Washington and would have liked to just stop and stay a few days. I didn't have the camper at the time though. I've been reading some of the warnings, including one at the Covered Bridge campground that provides an alternate route for tall RVs. Even the Scamp won't fit under the bridge.

My truck with the Scamp is just shy of 30' which appears to be the common popup size site.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Just as a side note the average vehicle length is about 16' these days. That's the number used by parking lot planners. Even my little Subaru is 16 feet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
In my experience, the only sites to avoid are (possibly) tent sites for reasons stated earlier- parking may be distant/limited, and in some cases actually restricted to tents-only. I'd inquire directly about those if reserving. Most other designations are really meant as "will accommodate" type warnings to the customer.

Caveat:
I presume we're talking mostly about Public Campgrounds here...private ones are sometimes more restrictive.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #15

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Just as a side note the average vehicle length is about 16' these days. That's the number used by parking lot planners. Even my little Subaru is 16 feet.
My truck is likely smaller than your Subaru at 67x173". For reference, that's smaller than a Prius. Maybe all told I'm 31' long. I'll have to get out there with the tape measure since I'm not sure how much the hitch adds.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
My truck is likely smaller than your Subaru at 67x173". For reference, that's smaller than a Prius. Maybe all told I'm 31' long. I'll have to get out there with the tape measure since I'm not sure how much the hitch adds.
I'll be interested in what you come up with per length- my Kia Sportage (160'')/Trillium combo is just under thirty feet, and I think your Scamp 16 is longer than my Trillium!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote