Where should we go in January to escape New England? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2023, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Where should we go in January to escape New England?

We're relatively new transplants from MN to MA and we'd like to get the heck outta' here for a few weeks but we don't know where to go.

From MN, we'd just hop on Hwy 35 and somewhere between Minneapolis and Dallas it would turn 60F and we'd stay, but I just don't know the East part of the continent.

What would you recommend? We'd like 50F or so and hiking areas. We don't <need> mountains, but there are plenty out here it looks like.

I tried looking at thedyrt.com but I'm having problems finding camping areas that are open at all. I'll spend more time looking there.

And recommendations?
How far south do we need to go generally to have a chance at staying above 35F at night? We can camp in 35F as long as it warms up to more like 50F during the day.

We generally tent camp unless it's going to be below freezing and then we stay in the 13' Scamp for the sake of the dog.

Thanks for any recommendations. We'll post photos.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would say you need to get at least as far as Myrtle Beach SC. We've been in the 4 SC State Parks on the coast in either late Nov or first week of March. However one time we got a little snow flurry one day at Huntington Beach. Our winter destination for a few years was Jekyll Island GA where temps are usually in the 50's to 70's in the winter. The last few years that we were snowbirds we went into Florida for most of the winter but still spent a month on Jekyll, usually February.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Currently the Outer Banks of North Carolina is seeing daytime temperatures of mid 50's to low 60's with nights in the 40's. I believe two NPS campgrounds are open year round. Oregon Inlet is near Kitty Hawk and Nags Head if you are looking for restaurants etc. The Wright Brothers museum is worth the time. Ocracoke requires a ferry ride but is quiet, isolated. In town there is a store. Restaurants are expensive if they are open. As for hiking, both have miles of beach. Senior discount make the per night cost $14 plus reservation fees.

Most state park campgrounds are open south of Delaware. I usually take route 13 to the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel. A quiet ride except getting through Virginia Beach and Chesapeake can be an adventure. Trip takes me two days from central Vermont. I typically go in the fall, but haven't been since COVID arrived.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:34 AM   #4

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Currently the Outer Banks of North Carolina is seeing daytime temperatures of mid 50's to low 60's with nights in the 40's. I believe two NPS campgrounds are open year round. Oregon Inlet is near Kitty Hawk and Nags Head if you are looking for restaurants etc.
Oh MAN, I've never looked at this part of the country.

Oregon Inlet campground looks COMPLETELY different from the forest campgrounds we always camp at. It's open with not a tree or shrub in sight! I'm going to have to do some convincing to get my wife to want to camp out in the open like that, but it looks pretty interesting to me. I could setup the 30 Watt solar panel once and be DONE! No chasing a small patch of sun through the day.

I'll post more once we have a plan.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Oh MAN, I've never looked at this part of the country.

Oregon Inlet campground looks COMPLETELY different from the forest campgrounds we always camp at. It's open with not a tree or shrub in sight! I'm going to have to do some convincing to get my wife to want to camp out in the open like that, but it looks pretty interesting to me. I could setup the 30 Watt solar panel once and be DONE! No chasing a small patch of sun through the day.

I'll post more once we have a plan.

Thanks for the ideas.
You're not moving there permanently. You're going to make a memory! You may have so much fun, you will go back. OR maybe you won't. But you're not doing the same thing over and over and over. Have a ton of fun!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:55 AM   #6

New York
We have been to the Outer Banks several times, a few times in the Oregon Inlet campground. The most memorable time was when a microburst blew through and damaged some trailers and tents. The pop-up camper next to us was flipped on it's side. Another time we were there it was so windy we couldn't stay on the beach. But the Outer Banks are definitely interesting, and we are happy to have been there.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:31 AM   #7

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
FL panhandle

The central and eastern parts of the FL panhandle have Apalachicola National Forest and Oceola National Forest. Lots of trees and typically slightly warmer temperatures than GA and the Carolina coast. Being NF property you can use the geezer pass. Several years ago I camped at Camel Lake just south of Bristol. ($5/night w/o electric). Only 4 of the 11 campsites have electric. By reservations only. Camel Lake is one of my favorite campgrounds. It is my understanding the rest of the campsites in these 2 FL NF's are first come first serve but still accept the National geezer pass.

There are also several other state parks in the panhandle area, more expensive but still a bargain.

There is also a campground near Florala in the Conecun NF in Alabama. And several FL State Park campgrounds in the panhandle.

wish I was going this winter.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:21 PM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: Escape
Kansas
We’ve been to the outer Banks a few times. Usually in October or March, but even in June you can find long stretches of beach to have all to yourself once you get south of the tourist district. We really enjoy it, and we are not even big beach people.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:50 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Eastern US weather is variable. I’ve seen 35 F evenings in Daytona Beach in early March.

We really aren’t big on FL, so we head west instead. Which is much farther of course. In Florida, Cedar Key is a hidden gem with a county campground at low cost. There also is a very nice state park in St Augustine Beach.

We have finally settled winters at St George, Utah. Typically very dry (it’s the desert), with mild weather. Great SP in SG with some hookups too!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:55 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Depending on how far ahead you have to plan I would make sure that you check the weather before heading out. I have had friends and had myself head out to horrible weather at the destination when the home was having a great time. Really does kill the fun to be stuck in bad weather and watch the people at home having a great time.
computerspook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:28 PM   #11

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Jekyll island, Georgia is the place!

Lots of folk enjoying the Jekyll Island Campground.
A great place to stop for 2-3 days and lots of history with St Simons Island and Brunswick close

You Can head from there to Florida.
I like Desoto State Park on the Gulf.

Both are more local.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:55 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Northern Florida from west to east along SR40. Several state parks and national reserves. Especially if you like kayaking. Try Ichatucknee springs for a 2/3 hour really nice kayak run. Several state parks with camping nearby.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:53 PM   #13

New York
[QUOTE=richardabush;852588]Lots of folk enjoying the Jekyll Island Campground.
A great place to stop for 2-3 days and lots of history with St Simons Island and Brunswick close

January and February they do the hidden Island Treasures (glass globes). We have 4, found over a 5 year period. Campground manager Ronnie just recently retired. Campground is currently being expanded. Last spring when we were on the island for two weeks (not in the campground) we walked through and found a couple of the roads had been paved which is good because they were terribly dusty. Lots of things to see and do on the island if you know where to go. We've been going every year for over 30 years, will go back for a couple weeks this year but not in the campground.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:26 PM   #14

Name: Richard
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
States like the Carolinas and Georgia can be very pleasant in mid-winter, but they can also get quite cold. I've encountered heavy snowstorms driving through Virginia.

I have very mixed feelings about Florida. Some of it is wonderful, while some parts are hell on earth.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the northwest of Florida from the panhandle to around Homosassa on the northwest coast, in particular, as others have mentioned, places like Apalachicola and Cedar Key, as well as the state parks and wildlife areas between them.

The lower two thirds of Florida may have some nice places, but for me it was much too congested and paved over. I couldn't get out fast enough.

You're out of luck for mountains. Florida is flat as a pancake under a steamroller, and the Appalachians to the north are probably colder than you want.

You should find lots of camping opportunities in the northwest of Florida, as well as southern parts of Alabama and Georgia. Don't be surprised if you're wakened by armadillos rustling around your tent in the morning.
Richard McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:28 AM   #15

Massachusetts
I'm taking everyone's advice and starting to check out these places and a path for us to get there and back.

Thanks everyone, I'll post more as we make some final plans.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:01 PM   #16

New York
Alan; if you are anywhere near the Mass Pike like we are, we go down the NY Thruway to I84, to I81, I77, I26 to I95. Or we would go from I81 down to Cheraw State Park in SC after an overnight at the Natural Bridge KOA. Then on to Jekyll Island or into the east coast of Florida.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:43 AM   #17

Massachusetts
Now that it's February, we're reconsidering our January trip. :-)

I'm really not used to the East Coast driving and I didn't really understand how long it takes to get anywhere, so we're going to delay our trip a month or so so that we can stop one-day's travel and be someplace reasonable for a few days before moving on one mode day to a real-nice place for a week or two.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I learned a ton about cool places to go.

I'm not interested in visiting Florida for.... reasons not for FGRV discussion, so I'll stay farther north on our next trip. Thank you everyone who gave those suggestions of lovely FL parks. They look wonderful.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:10 PM   #18

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
We don't figure on headin' south till I can summer-ize (de-winterize), maybe about mid-March. Still could get below-zero (F) temps in PA, where we usually stop (Locust Lake SP) at night, but internal heat in the camper will take care of it.

Some folks do head south in the winter with no water in the tanks or pipes until they get to the Carolinas, but we'll just wait. We're probably not going farther than VA, where daughter's family lives, though might scoot down to the Outer Banks for a few days.

Alan, where in MA are you?

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:15 AM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
We don't figure on headin' south till I can summer-ize (de-winterize), maybe about mid-March. Still could get below-zero (F) temps in PA, where we usually stop (Locust Lake SP) at night, but internal heat in the camper will take care of it.

Some folks do head south in the winter with no water in the tanks or pipes until they get to the Carolinas, but we'll just wait. We're probably not going farther than VA, where daughter's family lives, though might scoot down to the Outer Banks for a few days.

Alan, where in MA are you?

Actually I can dewinterize and then rewinterize in a few minutes if I have to. And sometime for Emergency support I do. My secret is an adapter I built. It goes on your city water line and then hooks to an air compressort. I have one designed for supporting multiple roofing guns so it shoots out a lot of air. I set the preasure down to about 5-10 and then start opening everything. Starting closest. Draining the hot water heater does take about 5 minutes with pressure. I do one thing at a time then run the sequence twice. Run the potable pump between runs. Maybe 10-15 minutes to empty the whole thing. Then about twice that to refill.

The only anti-freeze I use is for the drains. If you have a scamp with the shower pump like me don't forget to run that pump.

For short jaunts where I don't need to support others in the field I just use bottled water and a couple gallon jugs of water. Then it is about 5 minutes to find the anti-freeze I put up and pour it down the drains.

Now if I am operational when it is freezing generally I need to put some heat tape on the tanks and on the regulator to keep a good flow of propane. But I have been operational this way in zero degree weather. And that is so nice when the other option is sleeping bags on picnic tables in shelters. Had five of up sleeping in my scamp one time. That was a bit closer than desired.
computerspook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:43 AM   #20

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
This?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 09-40-59 Amazon.com Camco RV Brass Blow Out Plug Helps Clear Your RV's .jpg  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape