Where to camp - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Where to camp

We'll be heading north from San Diego to northwest Washington state. We're considering CA 395, instead of our usual I-5. Does anyone know or recommend nice, easy access campgrounds not far off CA 395? Thanks for any suggestions.
I will check if they are open; we're planning to leave San Diego the end of June.

Francene
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
~ ~ Tuttle Creek BLM camp just out of Lone Pine is good and cheap.

~ ~ And there is a nice Forest Service camp ground at Mammoth Lakes about 20 m south of Lee Vining.

Paul
Paul Moyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Thanks, Paul, for your suggestions. Do you know if they have water, or are they 'dry camping' campgrounds?

Francene
Old 06-07-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Catalina
Maine
Campground along 395

If you are looking for full hook-ups we had a good few nights stay at Boulder Creek Mobile Home & RV in 2018. We used it as a base to visit Mono Lake, Mammoth, and Death Valley. Happy travels. I cannot wait to get back on the road again to visit more sights in the US. We are based in Maine.

This campground is right on CA 395.
boatnics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
You might look at June Lake RV Park.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Hwy 395 Camping

Check BLM website for campgrounds. There are quite a few on the Eastern side of the Sierra. Most have a central water spigot, vault toilets, dump station & are very reasonable $. There is a KOA in Coleville, CA. Lots of Forest Service campgrounds along the way too. Just do the homework online. We have enjoyed many of these campgrounds in our Scamp, including Boulder RV park in Lone Pine.
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
do you plan on going on through Carson City and up to Susanville? If so, which way do you plan on going after Susanville?
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #8

Name: Chris & Lori
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Oregon
We lived in Bishop and Mammoth Lakes for 40 years, moving to Oregon three years ago. We’ve towed our Casita on Hwy 395 all the way to Alturas, then over to Klamath Falls and up Hwy 97 to Bend, Or. Beautiful and easy drive the whole way. There are tons of nice campgrounds all along 395. We’ve seen most of them and can’t think of any where we wouldn’t stay. Boulder Cr RV Park just south of Lone Pine, owned by my good friend Jaque, is really nice if you want hookups and a pool. For dry camping, Tinnemaha cmpgnd about 20 miles north of Independence, is right on the creek and worth the couple of miles of dirt road in. Brown’s Town at the south end of Bishop is very nice with full hookups, but can be busy. There are lots of campgrounds between Bishop and Bridgeport, mostly Forest Service, so take your pick, you can’t go wrong. Finally, Likely Place Golf and RV Resort about 15 minutes south of Alturas is awesome, even if you’re not a golfer. A former 40,000-acre ranch, they built a nice remote campground, golf course and hiking/biking trails with panoramic views, accessible via an easy paved road from Hwy 395. Enjoy, it’s a wonderful area!
Guide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #9

Washington
Registry
Thanks to all who suggested campgrounds.

Starting from San Diego to CA395, we're heading to the New Shady Rest Campground outside of Mammoth Lakes, in Inyo National Forest.
Next day explore Mono Lake and continue on 395 through Carson City and Susanville to Alturas for the night. I tried the Likely RV park, but they didn't allow my son's tent near our trailer, so we'll stay at Sully's RV Park, in Alturas, with full hook ups.
The next destination is Camp Creek campground in the Mt. Hood National Forest. I'm not sure what roads we'll take to get there, as my son and husband plotted this adventure out.

Francene
Old 06-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #10

Oregon
Shady Rest is great. Itís adjacent to Mammoth, but feels remote due to the trees (mostly pines). Donít miss the Mono Lk Tufa State Reserve south of Lee Vining. Really awesome! And sure to go to the Mono Lk Forest Service Visitor Center at the north end of Lee V. Skip Susanville and take the cutoff to Standish as shown on Google Maps, youíll save almost a half hour. Likely has a tent area but itís away from RVs so your son wouldnít be close by. Weíve seen signs for Sullyís in Alturas but havenít stopped there. Alturas is pretty small, but believe or not has an excellent Thai restaurant called Nuchís Thai where weíve gotten take out a number of times. Itís about a six hour drive from Mammoth to Alturas when towing. If you have time drive by Crater Lake NP, itís spectacular, although a ways off Hwy 97 and has a fee unless you have a NP pass. Enjoy your trip!
Old 06-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #11

Washington
Registry
Thank you for the feedback, Guide Guy. Nice to have positive CG comments.
Yes, I think we are taking the Standish cut-off, my mistake.

We've been to Crater Lake, last early June. Still had snow, but beautiful. We've also been there in late summer.

After Camp Creek, we'll head back to NW Washington, Bellingham.

Do you know anything about Camp Creek in the Mt. Hood National Forest?
Old 06-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #12

Oregon
We’ve only been as far north on 97 as Madras where we saw the total eclipse in 2017. What an astounding and moving experience! From what I saw on Google Maps, Camp Creek looks really nice. My parents live on Whidbey Is. so we visit them often via I5 (which we hate ��), and my nephew lives in Bellingham.