Where to camp near San Francisco - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
I just got back from three nights at Anthony Chabot Campground. If anyone is looking for a place to camp near San Francisco, I highly recommend. It is a eucalyptus forest where deer, racoons, skunks (those are just the critters I saw) and who knows what others are there. It is totally remote room for RV, dry camping for $20 a night, $28 with full hookups. It is just ten miles (about a 20 minute drive) to the BART station (Castro Valley) that can take you to San Francisco; $9.10 round trip.

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/anthony_chabot
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Thank you, we have been searching for parks near San Francisco.
Bill&Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
if you're going to take BART into the city, considering the cost of parking in SF and the Bay bridge toll, BART is a bargain. Parking at the Castro Valley BART station is only $1.00 per day (no charge for weekends)

Oh, there is one negative to camping at Anthony Chabot and visiting the City... the gate to the campground closes at 10:00pm and there is no access to the campground after that. So it's not good for late nighters.

Quote:
Thank you, we have been searching for parks near San Francisco.
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

We have always stayed in Half Moon Bay, once at the state park and once at a priviate campground. Used the BART to get into the city. We had to drive to another town to get the BART, went to the nearest one, not too far. But can not remember the details now. They can tell you at the state park, or use a map with the BART stations to figure out where. I believe we may have used Millbrae Station or perhaps it was San Bruno Station. I believe it was Millbrae. It was large and had nice parking.

San Fanscisco lots to see there. Fisherman's Wharf (clam chowder in sour-dough bowl) Pier39 , Cable Cars, China Town, Alcatraz Cruises, etc. If you can get in, Half Moon Bay State Beach Campground is a nice place to stay (we had to stay at a priviate one when we last visited there) to commute into San Fanscisco, not to far from a BART station and ride in on the commuter train. BART
I believe we at at this one, but not for sure. It had great clam chowder. Pier Market Seafood Restaurant is well-known for its award-winning clam chowder and mesquite grill dishes. Where we ate was not right at the pier. Lots of places to eat.

Half Moon Bay State Park is a neat place to stay to use the BART to get into San Fran. Last time we stayed at a private campground, but were tent camping. Campgrounds

Like I mentioned, we have used Half Moon Bay as base for two trips to SF, using BART and Cable Cars and Trolley Buses .
Trolley

Not too far down the coast from Half Moon Bay, there is a neat lighthouse to see at the Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park. Half Moon Bay has a nice state beach with camping as well. PARKS
PARKS 2
Attached Thumbnails
Pigeon_Point_Lighthouse_CA.jpg   Lighthouse.jpg  

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
There's a campground at Candlestick Park, much closer to SF. Funny thing it's called Candlestick RV Park. They charge alot but so does the one in Pacifica which is also close to SF.

I'm thinking about a trip to SF in a month or so and plan to stay at the Candlestick.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote