Woodall's Campground Directory - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Woodall's Campground Directory

We just completed a very nice trip visiting friends and relatives. We had to move around a lot -- 11 nights, 7 different campgrounds -- and were very glad we had our copy of Woodall's Campground Directory which we picked up at our local AAA office. It's easy to use. The book is arranged by State, and campgrounds are listed (and rated) below each city within that state. Now that reservations are more important than ever, this is a very handy resource. I don't always enjoy searching for campgrounds on the internet.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Good Sam RV Travel Savings Guide

The Good Sam Campground Guide book is very good too.
Includes tips and coupons for saving $$$
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The problem with a hard copy of any guide is that it is out of date before Amazon can deliver it to you. On-line guides are updated as often as required and instantly.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
We just completed a very nice trip visiting friends and relatives. We had to move around a lot -- 11 nights, 7 different campgrounds -- and were very glad we had our copy of Woodall's Campground Directory which we picked up at our local AAA office. It's easy to use. The book is arranged by State, and campgrounds are listed (and rated) below each city within that state. Now that reservations are more important than ever, this is a very handy resource. I don't always enjoy searching for campgrounds on the internet.
11 night in 7 campgrounds sounds like a lot of one night stops. I've rarely paid for single night of sleeping. I think in the last 10 years I've only paid for a single night once and that was when I drove after dark in driving snow storm. By the time i found motel 6 I was ready to crawl in bed.

I used buy the Woodall's camping directory then I discovered Ultimate Campground US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map and truck stops, and walmart parking lots. No more campgrounds for nights sleep.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The problem with a hard copy of any guide is that it is out of date before Amazon can deliver it to you. On-line guides are updated as often as required and instantly.
Yes, for all you techies with smart phones, that's fine, but some of us travel out there where there is no signal… so the paper copy works just fine and doesn't need batteries.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

Iowa

• Population: 3,107,126
  • Number of McDonald’s: 173
    • 5.6 per 100,000

Old 07-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Yes, for all you techies with smart phones, that's fine, but some of us travel out there where there is no signal… so the paper copy works just fine and doesn't need batteries.

No Smart phone here.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
We use the Good Sam book and find it a little better than the Woodall book that we got a long time ago. We get a new book at least every other year and have only found one or two places that have closed. I don't have a smart phone and don't have internet service most of the time traveling either. Just call ahead to make sure the campground is there. We do have a little flip phone type for emergencies and reaching out to people. If it is hot we do go to campgrounds so we can have electric so it sounds like you travel a lot like we do. Most people just assume everyone has a smart phone and I get tired of that.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Most people just assume everyone has a smart phone and I get tired of that.

It's probably, because most people do have a smart phone.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Stapistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Iowa

• Population: 3,107,126
  • Number of McDonald’s: 173
    • 5.6 per 100,000

Iowa Daves. ...........1
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
11 night in 7 days sounds like a lot of one night stops...
11 nights in 7 days sounds like a celestial miracle to me!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
11 nights in 7 days sounds like a celestial miracle to me!

OP said 11 nights, 7 campgrounds.
Byron misquoted to 11 nights, 7 days.
So the world turns.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, I saw that. Just struck my funny bone, that’s all. Carry on!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We use the Good Sam book and find it a little better than the Woodall book that we got a long time ago. We get a new book at least every other year and have only found one or two places that have closed. I don't have a smart phone and don't have internet service most of the time traveling either. Just call ahead to make sure the campground is there. We do have a little flip phone type for emergencies and reaching out to people. If it is hot we do go to campgrounds so we can have electric so it sounds like you travel a lot like we do. Most people just assume everyone has a smart phone and I get tired of that.
Both of these books are supported by ads, and leave out many, many campgrounds. While the campground finder apps do require a "smart" phone, AllStays & the Ultimate Public Campground List will give you a much wider spectrum of campgrounds.

There are some printed options such as Camping With the Corps that are useful, but as Glenn noted, they end up outdated quickly.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While the campground finder apps do require a "smart" phone, AlStays & the Ultimate Public Campground List will give you a much wider spectrum of campgrounds.

Are you telling me I can't use Ultimate Campgrounds without having a smart phone? All this time of using Ultimate Campgrounds (somewhere between 3 and 5 years) without a smart phone. I wonder what I've been doing?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Are you telling me I can't use Ultimate Campgrounds without having a smart phone? All this time of using Ultimate Campgrounds (somewhere between 3 and 5 years) without a smart phone. I wonder what I've been doing?

Now I do recall one app I had on my smartphone actually downloaded the entire list so it could be searched when you had no cell / data service. It even had a map search so you could find places in a specific area. I don't recall the name of it and I dont have it anymore so maybe someone else can chime in. Its basically a searchable electric version of a good campground book.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
No, I'm not. You can't use the app without a smart phone (maybe I should have put the word APP in all caps), but the web site is available (although you need something that provides a browser). You can also purchase the database as a POI list for a GPS.

Lots of options, but again, you need a smart phone for the app.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
No, I'm not. You can't use the app without a smart phone (maybe I should have put the word APP in all caps), but the web site is available (although you need something that provides a browser). You can also purchase the database as a POI list for a GPS.

Lots of options, but again, you need a smart phone for the app.
Since you insist I'll tell you how it's done, or at least how I manage it. I down load all the information to my Garmin Drive GPS. I do a bit of research while I'm still at home on MY PC. I don't stay in campground for 1 night, I find someplace else to get a night's sleep. (rest areas, Walmart Parking lots, Truck stops, gas stations, etc.)

I've been traveling this since I retired in 2009 and I don't worry about a place to sleep for the night. Generally a campground is at least a week or close to it. The idea is to travel and get outside. Figure out how to manage that is part of the fun as was during my backpacking days.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #19

Registry
Here's a couple links to help the usage long.
POIs US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Purchase POI List

Map US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map
Old 07-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Woodall is now part of Goodsams
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote