Worst EVER! Mosquitoville, err, Hickory Grove CG, Sheffield, IL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Worst EVER! Mosquitoville, err, Hickory Grove CG, Sheffield, IL

So we camped here last week. The only reason we picked it was its location close to family.

The biggest problem was mosquitoes, they were bad, really bad. Much worse than my camping trip to Alaska. Incredible really. Meanwhile, there were very few if any mosquitoes at the Utica CG listed below.

And they only had one bathhouse, two showers, one sink and two toilets for men, the same for women.

There appeared to be something growing in the showers. It was totally, completely disgusting. And you had to kill all the bugs first if you wanted to take a shower. But really, who would want to?

Really sad, this could have been a nice campground, but with a small FG trailer, you really need to have some outside space. With the mosquitoes, this was impossible.

Next time I am in this general area, I will either camp at Hickory Hollow CG in Utica, IL; or at Geneseo Campground, Geneseo, IL. The Geneseo CG is across the river from the Hennepin Canal towpath.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I know your pain, we were recently at French Meadows Reservoir here in Calif. for a three nights and 4 days stay, however we should have had a clue when we first observed the different circles of campsites, was no one much there, in three circles, was a total of 2 campers, and when we got to our circle the camp host was even in midst of packing and leaving, we got to our site, setup and found out immediately that there was a infestation of meat bees over the entire area, they were thick, we managed one afternoon/evening and overnight with a bit of kayaking the next day, but we decided to head home after morning on the lake. There was no relaxing in camp in an easy chair, and a plate of food made you an instant target for dozens of the bees.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
One campground sounds like being really neglected, the other one clean and must have used some chemical warfare on the mosquitoes. I would chose the clean one as well.

What are "meat bees"? Are they endemic to the west coast or do we have a different name for them out east?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
meat bees

It's another name for yellowjacket, as known by us westerners. They're in the wasp family, and do go for any meat. A wasp trap is a good thing to hang in your garden, away from people activity, but don't put it in your campsite...It attracts and collects wasps.

As for mosquitoes...try camping at Everglades National Park...they have red warning signs during mosquito season. That's where you dash from your car, hold your breath and run for the nearest building. We also have great mosquito hatches in the Cascade mountains, big black swarms in your face...not fun but tolerable with a mosquito net hat.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: steve
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Registry
head nets and long sleeves. no fun them mofos!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Mosquitoes,
They can sure mess up a fine trip. The last time I encountered enough of them to make me cry uncle was about 15+ years ago. The funny thing I knew better than to that place that time of year, but did anyway.
I have found the best method of combating those nasty little bugs and is know where they'll be and when.
When there's not a lot extra vitamin B taken before (about 2 days worth) then use DEET (100%). These methods worked great the backpacking years.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
And beware if you travel to Manitoba in the summer. The mosquitoes there are as large as sparrows and can carry away small children.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
And beware if you travel to Manitoba in the summer. The mosquitoes there are as large as sparrows and can carry away small children.
These Manitoba 'mossies'. often escape eastward into northern Ontario. Elementary school teachers along the north-shore of Lake Superior sometimes suggested that younger (lighter ?) students carry stones in their pockets, to prevent being carried away !
Old 09-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Actually, recent studies appeared to show that the Manitoba skeeters are actually native to Saskatchewan. When the wind is favourable they hop over to the neighbouring province for a change of diet.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Meat bees

Down here we call them German Yellowjackets. Their populations reach a peak about this time of year. They are attracted to things fatty and things sweet. They'll alight on the rim of your pop can and give you a nasty surprise on your next sip. Or on your hamburger between bites. Yes, two of my three kids. Skinning very fat bears in Ontario a few years ago, there would be a thousand of them eating fat while we skinned. The secret is don't pinch them with anything including your hand or they'll sting you. Move slow, don't swat, " look before you leap." That's my advice. Now bald faced hornets, that's a whole nother lesson.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
An old friend of mine and I just camped at Long Key SP in the FL Keys last weekend. I was fully expecting the skeeters to be horrible, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they were negligible. A few no-see-ums at dusk, but even they were tolerable. It had been a little dryer than usual over the past two weeks, and the county has stepped up their mosquito control efforts due to Zika (they rarely do aerial spraying in the Keys, it's all about surface water control.)

The Clam was put to use, but more as a rain shelter more than a bug shelter on this trip.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote