Wyeth Campground - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Spent the last three days in this one on a tip from a neighbor. Located 51 miles east of Portland and about 8 miles east of Cascade Locks, and less than a mile south of the freeway, making it strategic for a number of Gorge activities. There were a couple of sailboarders camped there, but we didn't mind.

Nice layout on a slight hillside, with widely spaced sites among the very tall trees, yet the canopy allowed a fair amount of sun to come through. Paved throughout, with curbstones, nicely maintained and clean. Some sites are not quite level, but most are fine. Water spigots are numerous, but no dumpsite, no hookups, though camp host has no trouble with graywater into the bushes.

Picturesque creek running through, with several nice little waterfalls further up along the trail system. Flush toilets, very clean. Camp host is an older Army Guy with a loud voice, friendly attitude, but not about to take any nonsense. Cost is $10/night and it was half price with my Golden Geezer Card. Forest Service. 6-bar cell phone service.

A very pleasant campground, with one caveat: The noise from the freeway and railroad was steady but muted, the slightest rustle of the Gorge Winds would drown it out. Freeway had more of a slight "white noise" sound to it. If you want it absolutely quiet this is not the right place.

Gave the obligatory tour to a nice couple from Arizona who were staying a few days in their new, large, and slide-out equipped tent trailer. She was enthusiastic about our counter space and the larger-than-usual bathroom. He had an urgent question about how well the Burro towed and how much it weighed. I told him about 3100 lbs on the road. He grimaced and allowed that his unit weighed 4100 lbs. Looked like maybe he had some rethinking to do.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Per, is that the one at the Eagle Creek trail head, above the dam? Or is it farther east?

I am getting old and forget which on is which...sigh.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Gina: there is a campground at Eagle Creek, but I have not checked it out yet. No, this one is 8 miles east of Cascade Locks, i.e. further east.

I am getting a little bit worried about you having been away too long, maybe. An extended refresher course could take care of that; maybe you should schedule one. On the other hand one probably couldn't cover everything in this neck of the woods in a lifetime.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote