Yellowstone RVing in Mid May - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #21

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Rod,
Just curious to know how much time you will allot for this trip. We're planning a Yellowstone and surrounds trip this summer. Thought about starting out earlier in the SW (NM, AZ, etc) where it's warmer and working our way north and hitting Yellowstone late June or early July. We also have "staying warm off the grid" issues. Thanks,
Gail
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Anyone going to Yellowstone should allow an extra day and drive "Beartooth Highway", a road which Charles Kuralt called "the most beautiful highway in the world". It is closed as most roads in that locale until June 1st. Welcome to the Beartooth Highway in Montana & Wyoming
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Anyone going to Yellowstone should allow an extra day and drive "Beartooth Highway", a road which Charles Kuralt called "the most beautiful highway in the world". It is closed as most roads in that locale until June 1st. Welcome to the Beartooth Highway in Montana & Wyoming
5000 feet up (Beartooth Pass) then 5000 down. I'm thinking the brakes and transmission will get a workout towing a trailer up and over. Most of the pictures show 2 lane. Are there lots of turnoffs to cool tow vehicle parts for a moment (or maybe let cars by) before moving on?
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I'll agree that the Beartooth is one of the most beautiful highways in the US, if possible, I'd leave the trailer at a campground to drive it. Not that it can't be done, but it is a haul.

Another great drive in the area is Chief Joseph Highway, and, if you are ever in the area, in my opinion, the most beautiful road in the US - Going to the Sun Road through Glacier National Park.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #25

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I agree on Beartooth, Chief Joseph, and Going-to-the -Sun roads. Be sure to have plenty of film and/or memory card space.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #26

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
There is a group of Scampers from Las Vegas heading up I-15 to Yellowstone July 13-20, picking up more Scampers along the way. We are staying at Grants Village in Yellowstone. Anyone who would like to join the caravan is more than welcome.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #27

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
There is a group of Scampers from Las Vegas heading up I-15 to Yellowstone July 13-20, picking up more Scampers along the way. We are staying at Grants Village in Yellowstone. Anyone who would like to join the caravan is more than welcome.
I didn't know there was a group of Scampers in Las Vegas besides me and Chita. I normally would love a trip but that is the time for the Southern Oregon NOG at Bandon.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
5000 feet up (Beartooth Pass) then 5000 down. I'm thinking the brakes and transmission will get a workout towing a trailer up and over. Most of the pictures show 2 lane. Are there lots of turnoffs to cool tow vehicle parts for a moment (or maybe let cars by) before moving on?
Actually Beartooth is lower than parts of Yellowstone that exceed 8000 feet. The whole area is around 5000 feet until you leave the state going south.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #29

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
They are located in the YaHoo Groups under LasVegasScamps, Also on Facebook as Las Vegas Scamps and the trip can be found under

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail H View Post
Rod,
Just curious to know how much time you will allot for this trip. We're planning a Yellowstone and surrounds trip this summer. Thought about starting out earlier in the SW (NM, AZ, etc) where it's warmer and working our way north and hitting Yellowstone late June or early July. We also have "staying warm off the grid" issues. Thanks,
Gail
We are planning about 5 weeks. That gives us time to visit relatives and to take short trips every day between stops, about 200 to 300 miles. I added how long we plan to stay at each location and distance from last stop. I would like to stay longer but go to work upon return, unfortunately.

-Depart St. Paul MN
-Ellendale, ND - visit family, 1 night, 337
-T. Roosevelt NP, ND - South Unit, 2 nights, 301
-Itch-Keppe Park, Columbus MT, 1 night, 323
-Yellowstone NP*, Baker Hole National Forest -West Yellowstone MT, 3 nights, 191 (staying here to have power and rate is expensive, plus host. Another NF is nearby but negative comments regarding theft, bad road and no host. Called Baker Hole campground with very nice people answering. In June plan on reservations from what they told me. May is otherwise OK.
-LoLo National Forest*, near Superior MT, 1 night, 315 (along hi-way)
-Coulee Dam WA - Spring Canyon Campground, 2 nights, 224
-Near Seattle Area, Tolt/McDonald Campground, Carnation WA - to visit family*, 5 nights, 213 (I have a video showing all sites that I took last year while visiting area)
-Port Angeles, WA - Salt Creek Recreation Area, 3 nights, 105
-Salem Oregon - visit family, 1 night, 281
-Coos Bay - Oregon (stayed here in 1973 on honeymoon!), 1 night, 172
-Blue Lake - Ca (near Eureka) visit graves - yippee, 2 nights, 216
-Anderson CA - more family - no camping, 159
-Stockton - Ca - visit family, 4 nights, 201
-Monterey Aquarium - visit while in Stockton

From here on are schedule is not planned so we researched several parks on the way trying to keep our mileage down to 200-300 miles daily.

-Flaming Gorge NRA UT- stopping if time permits
-Dinosaur NM UT- 2 nights
-Devils Tower NM NP* WY - 1 night
-Mt. Rushmore SD* - no camping
-Wind Cave NP SD - 2 nights (Elk Mountain Campground*)
-Wounded Knee SD - no camping
-Snake Creek Recreation Area SD, 1 night.
-Home

Have fun on your trip.

Regards.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you are spending 2 days in the Wind Cave area, be sure to also visit Jewell Cave. I'd also plan some time to visit the Tetons while at Yellowstone.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
If you are spending 2 days in the Wind Cave area, be sure to also visit Jewell Cave. I'd also plan some time to visit the Tetons while at Yellowstone.
Thanks - I really want to go on the cave tour this trip. Last time we could not work it in.

We plan to hit the Tetons on our trip to the Grand Canyon, next year. Just too much to see!

Thanks.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote