Yukon and Northwest Territories - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #21

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
In 2015 we took a month to get to Alaska from MIchigan, Spent a month in Alaska, we drove every rode that was there to the end and returned. THen we spent a month getting back home. Out of the 90 days we only were in established campgrounds about 15 nights.
Some days we did not cover 50 miles distance between camps, just so much to see. I think the longest mileage was about 350.
Never had a flat tire, nor any glass damage, though the front of the truck hood took a bunch of stone chips. Watch out for frost heaves, they are very exciting at 50 mph.
AK is a great place to explore all of the side trips, meet new folks and take in the native and local customs and traditions.
We will probably go back, possibly 2019 or 2020, there was still a lot of things we did not have time to do
You traveled like we did and do. We went in 2015 also. We found if we stopped on the gravel breaks when others approached from the opposite direction and let the speed demons mostly big rigs pass the gravel mostly went under us. After 2 trips of 77 and 80 days we still haven't seen all we wanted to. Got to watch out for the signs marking frost heaves. Didn't know what the little signs with 3 squiggly lines were until we hit the first frost heave. Yep at 50MPH is was exciting. We did not have a flat and never was in danger of running out of gas.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
"One person said they covered 500 miles daily. Really? We're they racing?"

Too funny.

First, 500 miles was an average on travel days. Traveling on the interstates of the US were higher than that mark. Traveling through the Yukon was less. Since the OP lives in the same state as I do, I assume some of the route will be similar. 31 day trip total, 10,600 miles. Twenty days were driving days ~ 530 miles a day. The other 11 days were spent camping multiple nights in one location: Elk Island NP, Fairbanks, Denali, Homer, Omak, WA, Yellowstone.

Latest we arrived at a campground was 6PM.

I've learned a long time ago that covering miles in a day is all about managing stops, its not about speed. The earlier you start the day, the earlier you finish.

Since we have driven to AK five times, it was more about getting to AK and spending more time there, and less about time spent on the way, although we planned some stops like Liard Hot Springs and Elk Island NP.

If you can make it a 3 month trip, great. If life limits you to a month, it is very doable.

If I was racing, I wouldn't have taken my Escape 19. And it wouldn't have taken a month. And I wouldn't have added a lot of miles by detouring to Yellowstone on the way home, which added 1,500 miles or more to the trip.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Alaska

This is ancient history as our trip to Alaska was many years ago when a significant portion of the highway was still gravel. Given the frost heaves on the paved portions we we often relieved to get on the gravel as it was much smoother and we could maintain better speed on the gravel. We were fortunate and did not suffer a broken windshield. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #24

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Thrifty Bill might understand what the Hwy. was once like.

I drove it in the late 60's right up until about 1979 then not until this past summer, and they hwy is way better than it was back then. Back then it was 100% Gravel and the Graders were out grading it daily. Personally I would rather drive on the Gravel than on the Blacktop as it is terrible with all the frost heaves they are having these days. The drive from Valdez to Tok is a bitch as you drive along you get these terrible drop offs and lurches. But all around Anchorage was good same from Fairbanks to Denali and from Denali to Anchorage was good. Anchorage to Valdez had a few bad spots. Even the drive from Dawson City and up and over the top of the world hwy. was quite good until you got to Chicken. From Chicken to Tok was not so good.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #25

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Did a similar trip in 2017 with our Boler. Went from southern Ontario to Vancouver Island then north to Alaska and the Yukon. If you are going into Dawson then I really recommend driving at least part of the Dempster Highway. It is awe inspiring. Tombstone territorial Park has gorgeous views and amazing hiking opportunities. If you have the time to drive to the Arctic Circle Sign post that is a pretty special opportunity. We left our Boler in Dawson for 5 days and drove to Inuvik (it was the end of the highway in 2017) and flew to Tuktoyaktuk. I figure if you are that close why not take a dip in the Arctic Ocean. Once in a lifetime opportunities, right?
We really enjoyed Whitehorse, it is the rare city with large grocery stores and facilities (oil changes). Be aware though that the downtown closes at or by 6pm. You can imagine they wait the whole winter for sunshine and they are not interested in working when the sun is shining!
The roads are good, facilities are far apart, so spare tires and tools are a good idea.
Have fun!
Jya
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #26

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Alaska Hywy

I would be flexible on start date. The hiways sometimes close in late spring due to late snows. A great trip. I made that starting from Glacier NP and went all the way up to Fairbanks, then took the Ferry back. In a motor home, not a trailer. Fabulous any place you go...
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
We are planning a trip from NC to the Yukon and Northwest Territories, perhaps including Denali. One of us would like to leave around April for a four month trip or so, while the other party ( would like to leave in late July/early August as we did for our previous smoky trip two years ago up to Jasper. We have the Milepost, and some tourist packet from the Yukon government. We are in our planning stage now, hoping to have a plan within a few weeks. We'll be towing our Bigfoot 25RQ behind a Chevy 2500 diesel, with bear spray, extra tires, rock guards and a generator. Any and all input from timing to locations to routes would be much appreciated.
Bruce and Kathryn
Should be a fantastic adventure. We have traveled much of what you will do except NWT. Roads are generally good, although some are pretty slow driving.
Beautiful fall colors starting in august, cooler nights.

Someone mentioned a side trip to Skagway. Lots of gold rush history there but during the summer it is very crowded...up to 5 large cruise ships a day in a tiny town. If you get there, there is free camping at Dyea, about 8 miles from downtown.
There is a ferry connnection to Haines from Skagway that you could do and see Haines ( a very special town in my opinion) and then continue north to Haines junction, skipping about 100 miles of the Alcan. The “golden circle loop” as it is called, is very scenic, especially the Haines highway and the road to Skagway.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #28

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Take lots of bug repellent. The bugs in the Yukon, the Territories, and Alaska can be absolutely brutal in the Summer. Bug nets for your face and head are a good plan also.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #29

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
We are planning a trip from NC to the Yukon and Northwest Territories, perhaps including Denali. One of us would like to leave around April for a four month trip or so, while the other party ( would like to leave in late July/early August as we did for our previous smoky trip two years ago up to Jasper. We have the Milepost, and some tourist packet from the Yukon government. We are in our planning stage now, hoping to have a plan within a few weeks. We'll be towing our Bigfoot 25RQ behind a Chevy 2500 diesel, with bear spray, extra tires, rock guards and a generator. Any and all input from timing to locations to routes would be much appreciated.
Bruce and Kathryn

Don`t bring your BEAR SPRAY in to Canada . Its not legal to bring it across the 49th , otherwise enjoy your trip EH.
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by caderider1 View Post
Don`t bring your BEAR SPRAY in to Canada . Its not legal to bring it across the 49th , otherwise enjoy your trip EH.

Not true.
One must go to the source; Canada Border Services:

Exception: Aerosol or similar dispensers that contain substances capable of repelling or subduing animals (e.g. dog or bear repellent) are not considered prohibited weapons if:
(i) the label of the container indicates specifically that it is for use against animals only; and
(ii) the provisions of the Pest Control Products Act are met.
(iii) In order for a device or dispenser to be considered to meet the above criteria, it must be apparent that the device was designed exclusively for the control or use against animals. The manufacturer’s label and specifications will be deemed as the design of the product. The misuse of these or any other similar device may nonetheless be punishable under other laws.
(iv) Please note that there is no minimum quantity or capacity requirements (in terms of grams or milliliters) in making the determination with respect to animal repellents.
(d) Device with incapacitating liquid/spray/powder – This category includes
Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Did a similar trip in 2017 with our Boler. Went from southern Ontario to Vancouver Island then north to Alaska and the Yukon. If you are going into Dawson then I really recommend driving at least part of the Dempster Highway. It is awe inspiring. Tombstone territorial Park has gorgeous views and amazing hiking opportunities. If you have the time to drive to the Arctic Circle Sign post that is a pretty special opportunity. We left our Boler in Dawson for 5 days and drove to Inuvik (it was the end of the highway in 2017) and flew to Tuktoyaktuk. I figure if you are that close why not take a dip in the Arctic Ocean. Once in a lifetime opportunities, right?
We really enjoyed Whitehorse, it is the rare city with large grocery stores and facilities (oil changes). Be aware though that the downtown closes at or by 6pm. You can imagine they wait the whole winter for sunshine and they are not interested in working when the sun is shining!
The roads are good, facilities are far apart, so spare tires and tools are a good idea.
Have fun!
Jya
:you can drive right down to Tuktoyaktuk now as they built a Gravel road to the Bering see. And Yes the Tombstone is a fantastic area to see and do, also visit the Visitor Center to ask how the bear problem in the area is, they might even have a guide you can hire who can pack a rifle to scare them off.
Stude
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kiernan View Post
Take lots of bug repellent. The bugs in the Yukon, the Territories, and Alaska can be absolutely brutal in the Summer. Bug nets for your face and head are a good plan also.
This is the reason we delayed our trip this year to August. Prior trips have been in May, June or July. In August it was almost mosquito free. Unbelievable! Last trip in early July was terrible bug wise.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #33

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Thanks for all of the input! Looks like an early July departure. Then heading down to the Bigfoot rally in Alberta the second week of September. We move fairly slowly even going cross country (4 hours a day driving, then a hike, a bike or 9 holes of golf), so looks like late July and August will be our main time way up north. And then returning via Yellowstone. This will be our fourth trip into Canada. We've had no problems so far carrying (and declaring) bear spray at the border. It is marked Bear Spray. Skagway/Haines ferry looks inviting. This is going to be a fun trip. Again, thanks everyone for the great information. We purchased Alaska Camping and The Milepost. Still waiting for our Yukon packet.
Cheers,
Bruce, Kathryn and Oscar the old gray pug (who says I'm old and gray too)
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #34

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
This is the reason we delayed our trip this year to August. Prior trips have been in May, June or July. In August it was almost mosquito free. Unbelievable! Last trip in early July was terrible bug wise.
:Thifty if that is your name you missed out big time as no bugs this year at all, neither my wife nor I got a bite but my sister in law got a few and she swelled up like a cow! for some reason I cannot fell sorry for her. we got into Alaska june 1 and we did not leave until around august 20 as we wanted to spend some more time in Atlin before heading south. It was great trip for the 3 of us, I only need to see McCarthy but I think well fly up and rent a truck.
Stude
Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Drop in to Old Crow and say hello to Edith Josie for me.
https://www.oldcrow.ca/news.htm
Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #36

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Well, “we” have apparently signed up as volunteers for something in Inuvik in late July so what do I know. I’m just the mechanic and driver (aka chopped liver). That’s not far from Old Crow as the crow flies, but pretty much off the map as the Chevy rolls. A foot of snow forecast for my part of NC tomorrow, up to two feet in the NC mountains. Practice for the Yukon....
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #37

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
There is a National Geographic Destinations magazine called "Yellowstone to Yukon". Not a camping guide but has a map and pix to drool over.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #38

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I do wish I had planned on going to Haines, AK. Other than that, I was happy with my route.

My wife has a limit on trips, one month max. Otherwise, I probably would have taken 1 1/2 months, and more side trips on the way home through the western USA.
:Thrifty B. I would suggest you leave your wife at home and start doing these trips on your own.
stude