A lot of changes come with Fulltiming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A lot of changes come with Fulltiming

In another thread I wrote the following the last line made me think in this post made me think this may be a worthwhile topic. I think it's different from lessons learned when full timing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We always needed to carry a back-up cooler when camping in our EggCamper, mainly for all the drinks. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for us, but we do now enjoy having a larger refrigerator.

Interesting Ray.. We have just totally changed our drinking habits and have made water our most popular drink followed by coffee, mostly eliminating sweeteners.

We occasionally desire carbonation and just put a can of seltzer in the fridge to cool. We have also given up ice, probably because we don't have a method for making ice but also fine we don't miss it.

A lot of changes have come with our travels, eating, dressing, spending....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

Florida
Friends Change

After 15 years we see former friends a lot less and have made many new friends. Our new friends are more like the new us. They are heavy travelers and some not so heavy travelers, but in general they are all RV people.

The biggest difference is they are people who are scattered all over the North America. They are more diverse than our old friends but have more in common with us. On the whole they have left the rush of the world behind to see the world....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

Florida
Family Relationships Change

We see our family's more... hard to believe but I think true.

The family misses us because they can't see us when they want to, we're not always there but when we are the visitation is more intense and not just casual. We find ourselves more interested in them and they in us.

I know grand children are a dominating issue for many couples... oh my grandbabies, I've heard it many times.

Our children, like many families are scattered all over the country. Our RVing has allowed us to camp locally near where ever they live, sometimes even in their yards with the smaller trailer and spend months, living separately (we always stay in our trailer) but very nearby.

The grandkids remember these close time more than the casual birthday, communion, Christmas day visit. We've been there for the whole run up to Christmas. As well our RV's have allowed us to take the grandkids, not for just a weekend, but a month in Alaska, building everlasting memories.

There's always a little 'carping' when we hit the road, but there's also a bit of envy. As the relatives age, they know their window is shrinking for seeing 'what's out there'.

Ginny's family is very close. They all always miss her. However they do recognize the fun she's had and the positive influence it's had on her life, physically and mentally.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Florida
Physical Changes

Ginny and I have changed physically since we hit the road (I do know I've written about this here and there but I thought I'd try to get it all together).

We really recognize it this week as we throw out stuff, cleaning the house for it's sale, particularly clothing. We have shrunk in circumference and have lost over 100 pounds between us (part of the reason we fit so well in that little Scamp bed).

From our Doctor's perspective, all of our vital signs are better than when we started. We're happy to see our Doctor once a year and he seems happy to see us. I think he's happy to have patients who have actually made changes in their life style to benefit their health.

Of course we eat dramatically differently, principally less but we also do more. We both worked behind a desk, now we hike, swim and generally move about.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Bravo!
And thank for sharing your life...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Florida
Mental Changes

I've become a better person and Ginny, she's always been a good person. I think that 24/7 association with Ginny has made me a better person. Many days when we travel she is my only human contact and all I can say is lucky me.

I had not seen the effect she would have on me though I recognized before RVing her goodness, now I'm making more of it me. But for all that there's much more to the mental side of being on the road.

The 24/7 thing with the two of us is really huge. Our record year we were in our Scamp 16 for 310 days. Virtually everyone thinks it's an impossible situation. It is not. It actually gets better with the number of days.

We have a real routine in the trailer, an organized routine that makes the living simpler and conflicts, at least clutter conflicts almost non-existent.

The real mental change, outside of me, is the elimination of stress. Multiple kinds of stress almost totally disappear.

The first and the least fun to write about is family stress. Virtually every family has some measure of family stress. It can be little things that can even start as fun but can become tasks like babysitting the grandkids or the programmed series of family birthday parties, graduations, plays, ball games, some measure of these can be fun, but their is a point where one's life is filled with things to do for others.

Yard stress, this will seem trivial, but it's all part of the picture. No grass to cut on the road, no flowers to plant, not trying to be the cutest yard on the block. To be honest I loved our flower beds when we were not traveling, they did provide pleasure, like our children, but they required real effort and there's a stress in all that...

Work Stress that has totally disappeared. Most of my life our was responsible for a workforce, starting a number of small companies, keeping the company viable, making payroll.... and so on. I recognized that everyone in a company feels stress, even the lowest person on the pole. Since this is the case, you might as well shoot for the highest position and get paid as well as possible.

There are many stresses in life all of different degrees. On the roads, there's really only the three of us, Ginny and I and the Scamp (I don't mention the Honda tow vehicles because they work better than anything except Ginny).

We are relaxed as we travel there is no pressure for us to do anything, to be anywhere just the adventure of finding, at our pace, what's around the next corner.

Now as I drive (and sometimes talk to Ginny about them) I'm wondering about things like why Mar's has no magnetic poles and the Earth, Venus and Mercury do. Or possibly why the Earth's North Pole is moving from Northern Canada toward's Siberia at 40 miles a year. Or why the earth's magnetism has decreased 10% in 100 years and where did all that energy go?

You know it's nice to be able to think about big and little things and not fear you should be working or coaching kids baseball or planting more bulbs. You are doing what you want unfettered by almost no one...just someone who loves to share the adventure with you.

It's almost a miracle. And why have I loved these 15 years....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I love your story-telling. I haven't had the (not yet converted) hubby read much of this board, but I'm sure your experiences/writing would do much to make him more interested in embracing this life-style, even if not full-time.
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #8

Florida
Not for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I love your story-telling. I haven't had the (not yet converted) hubby read much of this board, but I'm sure your experiences/writing would do much to make him more interested in embracing this life-style, even if not full-time.
Ellpea,

Ginny is forever telling me it's not for everyone. Even with my committed full time friends, I can get off on talking about Newfoundland. I'm always amazed how few of them have been there, possibly stopped by the sea voyage or the ferry cost. She reminds me Newfoundland's not for everyone, I calm a little and feel bad for them.

The family joke is when, not if, the space ship lands in the front yard, Norm will be the first one on it.

Best wishes

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Florida
Changes in Clothing

Of course our big change was size, now down 8" at the waist, occasionally making it to down 10". My doctor would say that's justification enough to be traveling in an RV.

I was a tie person for decades and had 200 ties, I actually like them, particularly those that are different and colorful. I used to work for a company that was named Accent Color, we had the most colorful ties that we would wear to trade shows. I was amazed how often I'd be stopped by a woman and asked "Where did you get that tie?" The first time I thought it was rhetorical, but she was serious. It turns out that a lot of women like bright colors on men, particularly as accents. Who knew? Any way, I've only kept one tie beyond a couple of the historically colored ties. The one I kept has Giraffes on it.

Though it's more of a concern for a person like Ginny, "What shall I wear for work?" that's all gone for both of us. Our total clothing can really fit in the Scamp. We do each own a couple of dress things but usually stored somewhere for the must have events. Neither of us have a suit of any kind, nothing for special times , like Christmas and St. Patrick's day. We do own socks but only use them in real cold weather or feet dirty environments. Our goal is comfort not style, though Ginny a little less so. I think she's still trying to attract me.

I carry 2 pairs of shoes (both Keens), Ginny carries 3 pairs (keens, sneakers and black flats). She tells me we need cowboy boots now that we've taken up line dancing. I got a whole bunch of our male RV friends to take line dancing this year. What a hoot and fun though sometimes it looks like a mash(sp) when we get going in the wrong direction. Our class is 1.5 hours once a week, a real workout and it turns out to be good mind and body exercise.

We're basically down to active clothes...jeans, shorts, sweaters, casual shirts of all varieties. We, unlike many RV people, carry no winter outer garments even when in cold climates, We do layers. Where would a winter coat go in a Scamp anyway.

All this reduction is a major financial savings, jeans and shorts are inexpensive. We don't iron. Professional cleaning is out even for my one cashmere/silk sweater $19 on ebay), I do love softness.

We do carry one dress outfit in the trailer, mine has become black jeans and Ginny's most often dark brown jeans. Combined with a collared shirt and a sweater we're presentable.

Spending less, reducing choices and feeling more comfortable...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #10

Florida
Eating Changes

My brother is found of saying " you should eat to live, not live to eat. (I will say I now weigh less than him, not true 15 years ago,)

In my pre-RV life I feel in some measure I lived to eat. Partially because in some measure it was part of the work life...you know the mid-morning donuts, the big lunch, and the family dinner or worse the business dinner.

On the road ,though we've never compared calories, we eat less as we travel. Some years ago I went on a 6-700 a day calorie diet for a couple of weeks, just wondering what was possible. Our day began with a 200 calorie breakfast, one piece of bacon, one egg and a piece of toast with coffee. That has become our standard, almost every day breakfast... sometimes I make almond flour pancakes or french toast as a treat (we always carry real maple syrup).

We usually don't eat again until lunch and that will vary depending on whether we're driving between camping locations or out exploring.

If we're driving between camping locations, we eat nuts or other treats in the car as we drive, usually including splitting a banana. When we arrive at our next campsite we usually set up and eat leftovers or a yogurt. Usually we had out and explore and come back and have a light supper..... If we see a unique place like a special bakery we might by ourselves a coffee treat for that evening.

If we're stationary, we're probably going to be out for the day either hiking about or exploring the area. If we're driving about I always seek some little unique place to eat. We always look for where the locals go and definitely ask local people. If we eat out we often share a meal, something we virtually never did before we stopped working 15 years ago. We just can't eat a whole meal any longer. When we do we always end up taking some home for the next day. Days we eat out at lunch generally means a light meal at night.

I'm certain we eat between 50-75% of what we used to eat. (One thing we carry in our Scamp is an expensive scale. We weigh our selves every couple of weeks and I can use it to weigh the tongue of the trailer. It's a $10 Walmart scale.

We definitely eat less and generally eating better foods.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #11

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
nice God is good
you are Bless
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #12

Florida
Sleeping Changes

I was particularly week in the sleeping part of our life. I would be asleep by midnight and be off to work by 6 am. I went to sleep with the day's issues on my mind, keeping a pad beside my bed always should I wake during the night with a solution. I have come to be amazed that solutions do come to you while you sleep, sometimes about problems you've worked at for days in daylight without success.

I still sleep with a pad beside my bed. I still go to sleep thinking about this and that...Ginny just goes to sleep, happy with the day. I like to think about all kinds of things I don't know the answer to, things no one I know knows the answer to.. It's a fun little game.

The difference now is that we go to bed sometime shortly after it gets dark (It can be a problem in Alaska where in the summer it never seems to get really dark). Usually it means around 9 PM and we love it. We are so happy to crawl into our little bed where cuddling is so much more fun than when the weight of world, family, .. issues were there with you.

I wake at the same time every day.. when the Sun gets bright or 6 AM. I was a morning paper boy for a long time as well I went to a military college where 6 AM was the rule. I hate missing a moment of daylight, particularly bright sun daylight. Ginny, though not her a rule in her youth, has adopted the same schedule as me. Usually by 7 AM Ginny's cooking breakfast, I assist, setting the table (includes taking down the bed) and making the toast.

After breakfast we check in with the world on our computers or phone and are usually off for the day between 8 and 9 depending on our day.

Personally I have the need to be up and about, I continuously recognize life is short.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Effect

Norm
Since I have joined this site I believe I have read almost every one of your postings (MUSEings). I have remained a silent observer because after you conclude I find little needs to be said. I usually exit this site with a heightened appreciation of Vicki (due to you kind words about Ginny), spirits lifted, and an anticipation for the future.
As it stands I am 5-7 years from full retirement. I have spent the last 30+ years planning for retirement and the past year reading Norm and understanding retirement.
I just wanted to simply say thank you.
Loving the future
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #14

Florida
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Norm
Since I have joined this site I believe I have read almost every one of your postings (MUSEings). I have remained a silent observer because after you conclude I find little needs to be said. I usually exit this site with a heightened appreciation of Vicki (due to you kind words about Ginny), spirits lifted, and an anticipation for the future.
As it stands I am 5-7 years from full retirement. I have spent the last 30+ years planning for retirement and the past year reading Norm and understanding retirement.
I just wanted to simply say thank you.
Loving the future
Sid
Sid, of course we haven't met but we would certainly find that interesting. We have met a lot of Scamp people, as well as owners of other fiberglass trailers and find them all interesting with their own stories.

I think one of the most interesting parts of our RV life, and this may apply to you towards Vicki and her towards you, is the further discovery of the person you married.

I have friends who have divorced and remarried, I am always surprised how often their second wife is similar to their first. Divorce can be painful and scarring.

I think part of fulltiming is getting to know your partner in a better environment. Part of that environment is how you work to treat each other.

Wishing you a speedy 3 years and a forever time afterwards.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #15

Florida
Change the relationship

By now everyone knows I've nominated Ginny for sainthood. Of course Ginny thinks she far from being really good. Maybe she does have evil thoughts I don't know about. I find most good people never think of themselves as good.

Part of my RV life is to try to make every day good for Ginny. I can drive for hours thinking about this and that. When Ginny says what are you thinking about, I always attempt to explain what ever it is even when it's a topic she's never considered like magnetism. By the way she really likes magnets now. We have over a 100 magnets in our trailer, most small and probably four different types.

I want her to see the world through my eyes and I want to see it through her eyes as well. This is a shared adventure, we both want to be accommodating, not unlike good sex. The purpose is to please the other person, that applies a sharing, not a racing ahead in any way, a learning and teaching together.

As some of you know I can be snide, I apologize and most always feel bad afterwards. In the early part of our marriage I could be the same way. Ginny most always ignored it, seeing more in me than a momentary or extended lapse. I continue to work on my ways watching her.

It amazes me what I did not know about Ginny until we began RVing, getting to really spend time together. As you travel together there can be the development of a oneness, a development of a knowing. This is in some measure a choice.

I often have written about our 'no pet rule'. Actually we like animals and have had numerous pets, in our trailer and with our lifestyle, we are the pets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #16

Name: gailanneM
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' and previously, 17' Burro
Washington
You are an inspiration.
Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences.👍
gailanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #17

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
If life were a product, it is yours I would buy. Of course, money has no value compared to the currency you create from the effort you put into love. What I mean is, thanks.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #18

Florida
Thanks Wendy. It's good to be challenged by words.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I know you are only in the U.S. and Canada but how about how you view the world now? Or at least the U.S. And Canada as compared to before you saw so many places in each.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #20

Florida
Cathi, I've been around the USA 6 times and to NL 7 times, to a good part of Europe and New Zealand and Australia. Many of these places were at a working pace though I've been to Germany, France, England and Ireland for extended periods.

I like every place because I'm a differences person, I am interested in what I'm not or have not experienced. I hardly ever order what Ginny's having just to try something new, though we share a lot.

If you're asking about the state of the Union or the world that's a different question which I'd be happy to write about via pm.

As to traveling the country I will not live long enough to see it all. One problem is even in a small town like Port Orford, Oregon where we've been 7 times, a town of 1100, we always find something new.

Multiply that by everywhere. You do need to accept differences to find the core.

Hope I answered your question. If not come back and ask again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
fulltiming