arrrgh! New fulltimer. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
Thank you Francesca! I've only looked at boat supply dealers for compartment doors and the prices were ouch! Did you block the venting, or am I not seeing the photo correctly?
Hi, Darnelle,

The vents are blocked with that foil-sided bubble wrap stuff.
Maybe I'll take some pics and start a Mods thread on my Eternal Quest for more storage!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Pete Dumbleton ( I miss him so) made a nice bed set up over the rear bed which gives one a bed, a place to sit and access to the rear storage. I've looked but can't find the pictures.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Here's one post with a pic of Pete's back bunk

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bed-33349.html
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Thanks Vickie, that's it.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
No, i don't have too much stuff. It is fairly minimal. 50% of the space is wasted due to the square shelves/drawers not fitting the curved walls. If i had the energy I'd make curved shelving but i don't. Actually i have a lot of empty space in here, and the usable space is crammed full. but you do have a point about not blaming the trailer. they are fancy tents. To live in i would choose square. It is better now that i have rearranged 5x though.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Cyndi,
Full timing requires configuring the trailer for the full time life style and changing your view of what it takes to survive happily in a small space.

Unfortunately almost no one manufacturers a trailer for the full time life style. Obviously with the bunk configuration you have, the trailer was designed for a family, two adults and two (well behaved) small children.

We have a Scamp 16; it is layed out similarly to your rig, front couch/bunk and rear dinette. One difference is that it has a side bath and larger kitchen.

We have decided to sleep on the dinette and make it into a bed each night. We have replaced the dinette table top with a smaller table top. This makes the dinette easier to sit at. You could do the same thing, since it sounds like you are alone, and have a small table you could quickly drop down to make a bed for one of any width (the width of the table).

I'm not knowledgeable of the Boler, but like most trailers their is a lot of storage space. Generally it just needs to be made handy to use. For example in one side of our dinette bench there is nothing. Unfortunately the only access is thru the top.

To make use easier we are putting three side-by-side draws in it. Each draw contains a plastic bin with cover. Three of these are adequate for all my wife's clothes except for one or two semi dress outfits she carries.

We also have two more bins that fit under the center of the front couch.

One other potential storage space addition for us is one end of the couch. We are building a cabinet that will go over one end of the couch (so our legs can still fit under it. for jeans and sweater storage. We carry no winter clothes or heavy jackets even when going north, layering instead with sweaters and the like.

Unlike many on these sites we carry little in the way of pots and pans. We carry two frying pans, one pasta pot, one corning wear dish with cover and one small pan. As well we carry a collapsible strainer. We have no micro wave, no mixer, no oven, no electric frying pan, no stove top skillet. We do have an electric coffee pot and a toaster. If we were to add one thing it would be a small, slow cooker.

I do plan to add two small storage containers to the rear bumper for hoses and the like.

We do carry two computers, a net book and a laptop. As well we have a wireless hotspot. Being gone so long the computer allows us to do most everything from movies, banking, news and just staying in touch.

It turns out the refigerators are small so you'll be shopping a lot so in general there's not a lot of reason to carry a lot of food, though when we're going really out of the way we carry a little more.

As to things like bedding and towels. We carry one change of sheets, two blankets, one electric and an additional one for boondocking. We have each have a bath towel and a beach towel.

For shoes we each have a pair of Keens, good general purpose hiking and even dress shoes, a pair of sneakers and Ginny carries a pair of dress shoes. We each have rain jackets and a sweater or the like in the car, useful when out hiking about (as well we have a small backpack in the car for the same reason).

I agree the corners are a pain, but anything made is a one time event. It's possible to buy cabinets for over the dinette or over the couch for the Boler that will greatly extend your storage. If you're interested I'll dig up the name of a rather nice guy who sells them for you and other Boler parts.

Of all the suggestions the table one is very easy to do and would provide you with a comfortable sleeping area that you could setup in minutes.

I could write on this subject for a long time and would be happy to answer any specific questions. Please do not hesitate to send me a private email for any reason. If you want instructions for a smaller table let me know.

It's a great life and welcome.

Norm
I'd love the contact for the cupboards. There was a guy in ontario who made them but i cant find his info now. Back in the camping days i never ordered b/c i never needed.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #27

Registry
good ideas! I'd like to make an access door under the door side dinette seat but there is no energy for any mods now. Its 'as is' I am done with a capital D. OK, i am adding a slider to the dinette table i made out of the front sofa support but only b/c i cant open my laptop fully w/o hitting the top bunk
Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi H View Post
I'd love the contact for the cupboards. There was a guy in ontario who made them but i cant find his info now. Back in the camping days i never ordered b/c i never needed.
I think this is the contact you are looking for, Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister. I was fortunate to have a handy neighbor who made my cupboards above the table/main bed.

Do you have pictures of your present set-up?

Karen
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cyndi,

Here's the Boler parts guy's website. Don't hesitate to call him, nice guy.

Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I have a lot to learn. My under bed storage is empty! everything i have i need out b/c i use it everyday. i cleared out all my camping gear to make way for the living stuff. i think i found the way that will work the best though. the only problem is a desk/table. Ive left the bottom dinette table out under the top bunk but cant open the laptop on it. I may have to get slider hardware.
Cindy I know you are handy!! So why not just remove the top bunk for now. Its not hard to do - just a few screws. I actually took mine out the other day just to redo the fabric.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #31

Registry
That's great thanks. That was the guy. I did get drawer slides today but i may not use them. having a chair seems to have done the trick. I can sit and see! I lost my camera recently so no pics. I'm getting a new on asap, just want to go accross the border to do it. It's as good as it's going to get i think. I'll post pics when i get the camera.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Cindy I know you are handy!! So why not just remove the top bunk for now. Its not hard to do - just a few screws. I actually took mine out the other day just to redo the fabric.
Ahhhh, but i am BURNT out. Just went through a big move and am needing r and r. No more renos of any kind. i used what i had to find the right storage drawers and go to 5 stores looking for a Grey water tank (none found) So every cup or two i have to go out and wiggle the hose so my sink drains....sigh. Funny thing is- i cant go to the rally b/c I'm living in my trailer. Too much to get it out there. i thought about a b and b but am non committed. Maybe a day trip. I'd like to get out i missed the last one. Are you in charge of potluck again?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Cyndi

I never thought of it til just now, but- how DOES a fulltimer "get away"???
I mean, you're living in what the rest of us use for our "escape pods"...
Could be a whole thread of its own!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Cyndi

Francesca
I'm thinking about a bed and breakfast but not sure. A good getaway is out of the trailer though. I'm adjusting, only one or two things need tweaking and it's home (for a bit anyway).
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Ahhhh, but i am BURNT out. Just went through a big move and am needing r and r. No more renos of any kind. i used what i had to find the right storage drawers and go to 5 stores looking for a Grey water tank (none found) So every cup or two i have to go out and wiggle the hose so my sink drains....sigh. Funny thing is- i cant go to the rally b/c I'm living in my trailer. Too much to get it out there. i thought about a b and b but am non committed. Maybe a day trip. I'd like to get out i missed the last one. Are you in charge of potluck again?
Yup the potluck is on - so please feel free to join us. Sounds like you could use a few giggles - as you know the group is always good for a few. Gail is putting on a pancake breakfast on Sunday morning at 9AM as well.

If you come out its possible that I *may* have a grey water solution for you (will know for sure late Saturday - maybe sooner).
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #36

Registry
I may do that. I want a fire! Will the group fire be friday or saturday night? I have a bucket, but the height of it hinders the drainage. It's never been a problem before b/c i could always move the bucket down hill a bit but there is no down hill available here. So i may see you saturday. Gail is so energetic. 9 am- wow.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #37

Registry
Group fire is planned for Friday night and if the weather is decent I suspect that there will be one on Saturday as well..... if not I know of a little birthday party at one of the sites on Saturday night and pretty sure it will have a fire and a few other warming items.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Group fire is planned for Friday night and if the weather is decent I suspect that there will be one on Saturday as well..... if not I know of a little birthday party at one of the sites on Saturday night and pretty sure it will have a fire and a few other warming items.
I may make it out as a daytrip.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #39

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Cyndi

Francesca
Probably like when you live in a semi truck, a motel stay does wonders.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #40

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
I don't want to make any design changes to it b/c i did a lot of work on it to get it versatile for camping luxury. However, i took it out of camping mode and into f/t mode. It wont be forever (better not be) so i want to be able to use it as a camper again. i see a square trailer in the future....
Hi cyndi H,
I'm curious about your full timing situation. Others who discuss their full timing experiences talk about moving around, seeing the sights, and enjoying life. Many stay in one place for a period of time and when they're ready to move on they 'tie things down' and go. It sounds as though you are parked in a permanent location? I'm not being judgmental, I'm just curious.
When you talk about using square cabinets in rounded corners I think about the saying "You can't put a square peg in a round hole". You are compromising and not happy. Using plastic bags wouldn't look as neat and may not be practical for the personal items you're stacking but they would certainly fit a rounded corner easier than a square stacker. It's a shame you aren't able to enjoy your Boler after organizing it for camping. Good luck.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote