Being careful - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #61

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
when I was doing PA systems full time, my van was a purposely beat up looking old Dodge. We would sometimes just whack it in the side to make it look more "Homeless" looking. This was by design to keep folks less interested in it.

It ran flawlessly, but looking at it from the outside, you would generally never guess that it even actually ran, or that there was thousands of dollars worth of equipment in it.

For the larger systems and on the road band/crew transport, we had a beat up school bus that we parked on a street corner lot in a very bad area of Portland.

Never had a break in with either one..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #62

Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13 ft (Little Bertha)
I keep my car keys in bed with me when I sleep. Anytime I would be the target of an intruder, I would activate the button that turns on the car lights and horn. The only way to stop the noise is by entering the vehicle with a key or by deactivating the button. I use good judgement in choosing a camp site....usually at a state campground where the staff makes regular rounds of the campground. It is maybe too dull for some folks but as a senior female who often camps alone, it makes sense to me. I left a large campground near Ely, MN because a guy with a lot of beer and a campfire as big as a homecoming movie type bonfire spooked me by choosing the site next to mine. Just him and me and I felt vulnerable since we were the only two there and the park officer left for the night. No regrets.
EllyRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
If you find yourself in a position to be victimized, how you deal with it will depend on how prepared you are. Often, I have found that body language that tells the would-be offender that "I'm not cowed and will not be an easy victim" is sufficient for them to move on to an easier target. I am personally physically prepared through training and experience to assess and counter most situations that may arise. You can and should prepare yourselves similarly. Those preparations will vary according to your age and physical limitations; however, even elderly or infirm folks need not exhibit a "victim" mentality. If you don't look and act like a victim, you greatly increase the odds of you not being one. Thinking clearly and quickly on your feet, forming an exit strategy (with whatever that entails including YOU mounting an offensive attack on your assailant if necessary), and deploying it are your best defenses against being victimized. Recognize that there are no guarantees in this world. While you are not guaranteed to come out of a situation like this unscathed, neither does your assailant have any guarantees. Take control of the situation. Turn it around to your advantage. Despite being physically and mentally prepared, in the course of my occupation over the years, I HAVE been victimized a number of times at the hand of another. Even though I have been a victim of violent crime, I have never yet "lost", and my assailants have always been successfully prosecuted.
Roger, this is the best piece of advise ever for keeping yourself safe. Advance preparation, exit strategy, and body language/mentality are your best defences, and not necessarily in that order. It's all important.
Toby Pilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #64

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
So, after reading all responses of this thread, I still didn't get an indication of how many people (mainly full-timers) actually carry a loaded handgun in their trailer. I am contemplating a 3,000 mile trip from Oregon to Florida, hopefully staying in as many Elks Club RV parking lots as possible. How many issues am I likely to have with local law enforcement (wherever I am at the moment) regarding having a gun in my trailer to protect my "home". As a former law enforcemant officer, I am trained and prepared to use a gun to protect self and property. Are there any states prohibiting carrying a loaded handgun in a trailer while traveling?

Ron
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #65

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
So, after reading all responses of this thread, I still didn't get an indication of how many people (mainly full-timers) actually carry a loaded handgun in their trailer. I am contemplating a 3,000 mile trip from Oregon to Florida, hopefully staying in as many Elks Club RV parking lots as possible. How many issues am I likely to have with local law enforcement (wherever I am at the moment) regarding having a gun in my trailer to protect my "home". As a former law enforcemant officer, I am trained and prepared to use a gun to protect self and property. Are there any states prohibiting carrying a loaded handgun in a trailer while traveling?

Ron
<Moderator hat ON>

This question is NOT a question on the political appropriateness of gun ownership, the ability to carry a gun, or the appropriateness of carrying a gun. The moderator staff will not allow that political discussion to occur in this or any other thread.

<Moderator hat OFF>

Ron, I'm a sitting chief of police with 34 years experience so I'll give you the best answer I can from my experience. I doubt you will get that indication as it's really personal preference. Whether or not most full timers carry a loaded firearm shouldn't be any assurance or deterrence for you to. You and you alone are responsible for your decision. *Most* states treat travel trailers and motorhomes, for the purposes of 4th Amendment issues (e.g. search and seizure), the same as a residence. States differ more on passenger vehicles in the area of search and seizure. There are, no doubt, variations from state to state in the way the 4th Amendment is applied to travel trailers, but without doing a search of each state's criminal code there's no way to make a blanket statement or individual statements by state about the legality of carrying a loaded firearm in a travel trailer.

I would caution you that most states prohibit the use of deadly force in protecting property.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #66

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Some places are very buggy about handguns, like NY and MA and Canada, so I decided early on not to carry one. I chose instead to carry an inexpensive .410 shotgun, which also gives me a choice of ammunition (small shot in crowded area like RV park; larger stuf if needed boondocking). A 12Ga has even more choice of ammo including flares and bear-bangers.

I know my eggshell won't provide much stopping of handgun projectiles coming in or out, be they 9mm or spawn of a Desert Eagle...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #67

Trailer: Rockwood Roo 17 ft Expandable
I've travelled across the country twice with three children and I have been very lucky that we had no troubles. I carry a cell phone, always wear a pouch with money and keys on my person at all times. And I only stayed at national parks or private campgrounds were there were other families around. I would not stay in state parks or small campsites alone with the kids...way to dangerous. We had wonderful trips. I encourage Moms to take kids camping on their own. Don't stay home out of fear. Just be smart.

Doris

doris shamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #68

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I appreciate that, but my best camping is boonies. I'm lucky in that NM is pretty nice to gun owners. That means so far this hasn't been an issue. When we do decide to do a multi-state trip, well, I don't know how I'll handle that.

Apparently, I have to do a lot of research to make sure I don't get myself in trouble with the law...
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #69

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I didn't see any discussion of pepper spray as a defensive appliance against intruders, human or animal. Anyone have any experience with pepper spray that they'd care to share?

I would add that the only time we've had any trouble camping was with a neighbor's dog running loose that 'attacked' our little dog as we walked a trail with ours on a leash. A swift kick in the rear end sent it howling away. I didn't even remember that I had a pepper spray canister on my key-chain.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #70

Pepper spray is good, but not legal in Canada unless specifically marked as Bear Spray. Gotta watch the wind using sprays...
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #71

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
Quote:
I didn't see any discussion of pepper spray as a defensive appliance against intruders, human or animal. Anyone have any experience with pepper spray that they'd care to share?

I would add that the only time we've had any trouble camping was with a neighbor's dog running loose that 'attacked' our little dog as we walked a trail with ours on a leash. A swift kick in the rear end sent it howling away. I didn't even remember that I had a pepper spray canister on my key-chain.
yes, & it really hurts...

you were probably better off with the kick, as you might have sprayed your dog...
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #72

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've trained with the stuff for years, and it isn't particularly effective on me. It's annoying, but not debilitating. If I were your assailant, it wouldn't stop me, or even slow me down much. It is devastating to some folks though. Just remember that when you spray the stuff, you always get sprayed yourself too.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #73

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
I've always camped solo and I'd agree that a large dog is a deterrent (I'm biased obviously) but have found it interesting that smaller kids never see my dog as any kind of threat but have been asked about his friendliness only from those who probably don't have the best intentions. And even my sucky dog has raised his hackles when unsure about someone so don't underestimate their reactions...he didn't bark but he was uncertain and not his friendly self and that told me a whole lot...

I'd add that I always try to use the washrooms/showers at busy times and will drive to them rather than walk dark or deserted trails.

I touch base with park officers/campground hosts regularly in the hopes that they will also keep an eye on my trailer or be aware if something seems amiss. I also let a friend or family member know when I'm going and how long I'll be gone and try to touch base at some point during a trip.

I'm not eager to have to air out the trailer from pepper spray so other than carrying it on a hike am not likely to want to use it. I do have a bat but there isn't a whole lot of swinging room in my trailer lol. Just like at home, I don't open the door if I'm not expecting someone or can't see who they are. It's counter to most people's manners to allow a car alarm to go off for a long time or make a lot of noise in a campground so I like the advice about using an alarm but would suggest some loud yelling may be even better.

Otherwise I think being aware of your surroundings and trusting your gut are key. Acting like you can handle yourself works the same as having good locks...it usually sends them on to an easier target.
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #74

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Escape B / RAV4 (19 ft74 13 ft Boler for sale)
Quote:
I've travelled across the country twice with three children and I have been very lucky that we had no troubles. I carry a cell phone, always wear a pouch with money and keys on my person at all times. And I only stayed at national parks or private campgrounds were there were other families around. I would not stay in state parks or small campsites alone with the kids...way to dangerous. We had wonderful trips. I encourage Moms to take kids camping on their own. Don't stay home out of fear. Just be smart.

Doris
I'm a newbie, Um...why are state parks more dangerous than National parks?
Deb H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #75

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I think it depends on the area of the country. I've always felt perfectly safe in an Oregon State Park. We don't have too many National Parks in Oregon:
Crater Lake National Park, Fort Clatsop National Memorial, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail, Nez Perce National Historical Park, Oregon National Historic Trail, Oregon Caves National Monument.

And, they're all just great! They're more tourist destinations, camping is pretty limited.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #76

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Some folks must have dangerous state parks, hmmm.
Come on down to Arizona, our state parks are great and we've never had a problem. Our national parks are pretty good too...
Might want to wait for fall though, our heat is setting in.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #77

Trailer: Rockwood Roo 17 ft Expandable
Quote:

Some of the state parks that I've camped in out west are not as populated. We stayed at one park in Colorado and we were to only people there. It was a drop a few bucks in the envelope kind of place. It was beautiful and quiet but it was also scary. There are always lots of people at the national parks. We loved staying at Zion National Park. We met lots of folks from all over the world. I felt safe staying there with the kids.
doris shamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #78

I would generally, based on observation and experience, rate them as follows in order of likely safety, but it really depends on the specifics:

Natl Parks
State Parks
COE
Natl Forest

Pepper and ammonia don't always work. In a former life, I had a mutt named Dum-Dum. Bunch of us were standing around on neighbor's lawn, mail guy came up and DD turned Cujo, with teeth bigger than her legs! She circled the mail guy as he was madly spraying her with ammonia but took no notice of the stuf. I hauled her back and started to put her inside house, but she and I were now having eye problems and I had to hose her down.

In the service, another Lt and I were doing the gas chamber (CS gas) for our battalion. The BC made everyone, even the outside Lt, take off their mask, but forgot about me and NCO inside. I was in there most of the day in gas mask, soaking my clothes in CS. After breaking it all down, I drove up to club to enjoy some of that beer stuf. It took a while for my CO to catch on and send me home to change, but everyone was gradually sneezing, itching and had runny nose from my CS load. Didn't bother me at all by then except a little rash around my neck.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #79

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Roger makes some good points. Listen well to what he says.
Yours and your families protection is a personal call, and all subject to local laws. Here in Wy. I carry firearms and bear spray. If I leave the state, the guns stay home and the bear spray comes along. I use the 14 oz. UDAP spray, I also recieve bear defense training at work every year. But this stuff works on humans to. THe big cans are designed for big critters, and a human is not the same as a bear, it will litteraly take a man to his knees. It will spray 30 to 35 feet. I keep a can by the door in my camper. Both for bear and unbearables! I have used it on one guy and one bear in my life. Both worked flawless. A gun is ok as Roger said, but if you go that route, it can be irreversible!!! And you need to shoot and train with it, then do it some more!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Roger makes some good points. Listen well to what he says.
Yours and your families protection is a personal call, and all subject to local laws. Here in Wy. I carry firearms and bear spray. If I leave the state, the guns stay home and the bear spray comes along. I use the 14 oz. UDAP spray, I also recieve bear defense training at work every year. But this stuff works on humans to. THe big cans are designed for big critters, and a human is not the same as a bear, it will litteraly take a man to his knees. It will spray 30 to 35 feet. I keep a can by the door in my camper. Both for bear and unbearables! I have used it on one guy and one bear in my life. Both worked flawless. A gun is ok as Roger said, but if you go that route, it can be irreversible!!! And you need to shoot and train with it, then do it some more!
Just wondering how much pleasure there is in camping with so much fear.
I read the entire thread and am now as afraid of the good guys as I am of the bad guys.

baglo