Being careful - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #81

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Oh don't be afraid. After I took a self defence class I was less afraid and more willing to adventure in places that I might not otherwise. Just standing at a bus stop after dark can be dangerous but the fun we have adventuring into a city and exploring it far outways the risks in my opinion. And being aware of how to reduce the chance of being a victim does not mean you are afraid.

All of us do not want car trouble but we still bring jumper cables and a spare tire. Being prepared just lets us focus on the fun things in our adventures.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #82

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a hard time figuring out why so many people are so afraid. Gosh, I don't think I'd venture out of my house if I were that frightened.

Just hitch that trailer up and go. I've been solo camping for a full 8 years, not fulltime but part time, and have never run into any problems. I've camped in all of the above mentioned campgrounds across 2/3's of the country and Alaska. I just look at the people and the surroundings, then decide whether I want to stay there or not. You can always move on.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #83

Joy, to me you represent solo camping. You have done and gone places many couples only dream of going. I love the stories of your Alaska trip. And how brave Lilly was when she would see the bears from inside the jeep.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #84

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Joy, to me you represent solo camping. You have done and gone places many couples only dream of going. I love the stories of your Alaska trip. And how brave Lilly was when she would see the bears from inside the jeep.
Where are those stories?
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #85

Most of those stories where shared around a campfire at a fiberglass gathering but here is a link to her Alaska adventure posted on this forum.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...p;hl=joy+alaska
Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #86

Here is another link to another adventure she posted on the forums. She is just an amazing person, hopefully some time you will be blessed to share a campfire with her and Lilly and hear in person some of her stories.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...p;hl=joy+alaska
Old 01-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #87

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Thanks for your comments Joy
I caught this thread early today and was a bit surprised by some of the comments based on my own (it seems) naive ways of travelling.
I did drive by myself this past spring from Nova Scotia to Windsor Ontario and back in the snow and in a small tent ( trailer left at home) staying in closed campgrounds on back roads. Friends were a bit horrified and worried for my safety. I am not afraid travelling on my own. I DO pay very good attention and listen "to my gut" and am careful re surroundings and people.........but hope never to let fear stop me from doing what I enjoy.
People are always very kind to me and I have great heartwarming adventures.
Perhaps I have always been very lucky and maybe Canada feels a bit safer than other countries, but 5 months for 2 or us in our trailer across the US to California and back felt very similar.
So thanks Joy for your comments. It makes me feel not quite so naive or foolish!
( and I do think I know even one person here with a hand gun)
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #88

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Just wondering how much pleasure there is in camping with so much fear.
I read the entire thread and am now as afraid of the good guys as I am of the bad guys.

baglo
Glenn, the difference is that the good guys don't victimize other good guys. You need not fear them.

Here's an interesting perspective of what makes good guys, good guys. Good guys are described as sheepdogs, and the essay describes what causes them to be sheepdogs, what differentiates them from the wolves, and why sheep don't like them.

It's called "On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs" by Col. Dave Grossman.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #89

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for your comments Joy
I caught this thread early today and was a bit surprised by some of the comments based on my own (it seems) naive ways of travelling.
I did drive by myself this past spring from Nova Scotia to Windsor Ontario and back in the snow and in a small tent ( trailer left at home) staying in closed campgrounds on back roads. Friends were a bit horrified and worried for my safety. I am not afraid travelling on my own. I DO pay very good attention and listen "to my gut" and am careful re surroundings and people.........but hope never to let fear stop me from doing what I enjoy.
People are always very kind to me and I have great heartwarming adventures.
Perhaps I have always been very lucky and maybe Canada feels a bit safer than other countries, but 5 months for 2 or us in our trailer across the US to California and back felt very similar.
So thanks Joy for your comments. It makes me feel not quite so naive or foolish!
( and I do think I know even one person here with a hand gun)

donna....i agree with you...listen to your gut. and do not feel naive. we have had similar experiences to yours...never any hint of trouble. perhaps it is dumb luck but i prefer to think of it as campers being considerate of other campers. overall, i deep down believe that those of us who camp are a special breed...now maybe i am the one being naive, but i don't think so.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #90

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
You carry a fire extinguisher in case of a fire don't you? I do ! But I also carry the biggest and strongest pepper spray, in case of one of Roger's
"wolves"!

I don't use camp grounds here in Wy. I boondock 99% of the time, not much fear of the two legged wolf, but it is the four legged bear that we see often every summer. And not black bears, but grizzlys, I see between 10 and 30 every year. I don't fear them, I respect them, but I am not about to get eaten, injured or my property destroyed by one either!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #91

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thank you, Roger, for the link to Col. Grossman's essay ... a very thought provoking work on the actual and perceived role of law enforcement & defense forces in our complex society. Take care in YOUR work - L 'n D
Old 01-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #92

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Thank you, Roger, for the link to Col. Grossman's essay ... a very thought provoking work on the actual and perceived role of law enforcement & defense forces in our complex society. Take care in YOUR work - L 'n D
Thanks.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #93

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1981
Some great points and suggestions in this thread.

I currently live full-time in my Scamp, and have done extended trips alone, mostly car camping. My own feeling on security is ambivalent.

On the one hand, far too many women, especially, are cowed by nightmares into locking themselves away from the road, the glories of which are theirs by divine right. Or, by degrees, they believe in the "safety in numbers" myth. Maybe it's just because I'm a mountain girl, but "civilized" places strike me as far more dangerous than the open country, where one can hide away from sight and maneauver more freely. I trust a bear over a man any day, so give me National Forest and BLM administered land. Women ought to dare with more grit, especially in the back country.

On the other hand, there are people who are intent in getting in your business for ill ends. I'll add a chit to the "situational awareness" pile as the center of any security. Being proactive in selecting camps and parking has saved alot of trouble. The one time I didn't heed my gut earned me a broken window and stolen CD player; I now always heed my gut.

Some random observations:

When parked for one night on the side of the road, sleep in the car cab, with keys in the ignition, so that you can get up and go in a shot if need be. It's best to have an open escape route in front of the car.

I used to sometimes sleep with a drawn longknife and a loaded crossbow at the ready. But weapons may be false security. 90% of security is preparation. Anywhere I camp on the fly is far from prying eyes, behind some trees, off an old dirt road.

The "po' folks" camoflage is very handy. Fru-fru status toys don't help one outside of the RV resorts.

Be more than stand-offish with men. When anyone but a ranger comes across my camp, the story is that my ficticious husband "Butch" or "Duke" or "Bubba" just went out to kill a buck or something, and I have to go pick him up soon. Then I'm gone within half an hour.

Cell phones and CB's are your friends.

Food and water are part of safety; always carry enough for a few extra weeks if you need to haul out on foot.
Brighid N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #94

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Guns, ball bats, knives, and all manner of other weapons are useless in the hands of the untrained and unwilling. Likewise, if you are untrained and/or unwilling to use that training with a weapon and you bring it out, you have most likely just armed an otherwise unarmed assailant as they will take that weapon away from you and use it on you
I took a two hour concealed weapon class, passed the simple written test, and now have the permit. This is Utah. It is easy.
But I never conceal it and never wear it... go figure.
I do some practice plinking a couple of times per year just to stay sharp and I always remind myself what they taught in that class: You cant just shoot someone becasue you feel threatened. Your life has to be in mortal danger before you can use it and that takes a lot of mental discipline if you ask me. Fear can overcome reason real quick... especially as you get old like me

PS you can have a loaded firearm in your home in California. A trailer or a tent is considered your home when you are out camping.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote