Best Fiberglass for 4 season - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #61

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
That looks great!

I've had all sorts of problems with my fridge not keeping up in hot temperatures, but oddly enough, I also have problems with it freezing my food when it gets cold outside. If nighttime temps are 30 or lower, daytime temps 40-50, I cannot keep my fridge from freezing my food. If I winter camped, I'd be storing food in a cooler just like I would when temps get above 90.

Anyway, it's great to see the winter camping.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #62

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
There is Always Something

I just drove home from Florida in my BigFoot 25RT. Everything was fine until I got to Pennsylvania. It went down to less than 19 degrees and when I went to leave in the morning the trailer connector pulled out of it's socket in the truck's bumper.

The 7 pin cable had picked up natural sag in the warm weather but in the cold it got so stiff there wasn't any give in the sag so it pulled out on a tight turn. It happened again getting gas in Connecticut. The trailer may be a 4 season camper but that electrical cable is not. I will have to put that on the list of things to work on. There is always something!!
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #63

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I just drove home from Florida in my BigFoot 25RT. Everything was fine until I got to Pennsylvania. It went down to less than 19 degrees and when I went to leave in the morning the trailer connector pulled out of it's socket in the truck's bumper.

The 7 pin cable had picked up natural sag in the warm weather but in the cold it got so stiff there wasn't any give in the sag so it pulled out on a tight turn. It happened again getting gas in Connecticut. The trailer may be a 4 season camper but that electrical cable is not. I will have to put that on the list of things to work on. There is always something!!
I do find it annoying that trailer manufacturers use thermoplastic insulated cable for the 30 amp power cable & the trailer 7 pin connector. There are plenty of silicone rubber or thermoset cable available. More expensive, but much better for camping in cold weather.

Type SEOOW is an example. I don't know anyone that makes an equivalent cable for the 7 pin trailer connection.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #64

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I do find it annoying that trailer manufacturers use thermoplastic insulated cable for the 30 amp power cable & the trailer 7 pin connector. There are plenty of silicone rubber or thermoset cable available. More expensive, but much better for camping in cold weather.

Type SEOOW is an example. I don't know anyone that makes an equivalent cable for the 7 pin trailer connection.
Thanks for that link. I also have a 170 amp Anderson connector with 4 ga cables that may have contributed to the problem. I think I can rig a bracket to my power jack shaft to help support both cables with a bungee or something. Fortunately my F-150 sounds the alarm it the trailer disconnects.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #65

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Thanks for that link. I also have a 170 amp Anderson connector with 4 ga cables that may have contributed to the problem. I think I can rig a bracket to my power jack shaft to help support both cables with a bungee or something. Fortunately my F-150 sounds the alarm it the trailer disconnects.
Our 2003 25RQ's cable should have been longer and would occasionally pull out when turning. I removed all clamps and hung the cable with bungees. I gained perhaps 2-4", but that was enough to stop the disconnecting.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote