Broadband via Satellite - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I posted the smart phone solution I'm checking in the other thread. So far I really like it although it isn't speedy. Got rid of the EVDO card and $59 a month and just use the unlimited internet on my Treo. If you get a signal on the phone you have Internet.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I posted the smart phone solution I'm checking in the other thread. So far I really like it although it isn't speedy. Got rid of the EVDO card and $59 a month and just use the unlimited internet on my Treo. If you get a signal on the phone you have Internet.
Do you connect via USB to your phone? Is it slower then your air card was?
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #23

Quote:
PDAnet is what I'm testing. Glad to hear that you have had success with it. The phone access is no problem, because if the phone didn't have access the Sprint PC card wouldn't have had access either. Sure makes more sense to use the Internet on the phone that we're already paying for.
I'm figuring that between that and finding coffee shops with wifi I can cover my work.

Anyone who has a smart phone and wants to try it you can get a trial version here. PDAnet
This cost is the same for the Teo was the same cost as the Aircard so I opted to NOT sign up for that. My wife and I both use our Aircard, one on my Mac & her Dell.

Do you know what the speed differences are?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Hey Mike,

Not sure what the cost is ur referring to. The Treo Unlimited Internet through Sprint is $15 month which I have to have anyway for the phone to work with my Exchange Server. The PDA net is a one time $34.95 for the software to hookup the phone and that's it for charges. You use the same synch cable for the phone and the laptop sees the phone as a usb modem.

It is a bit slower than the aircard, but not $45 a month difference slower. :-) I think it is rated at 184 and the card when I had it didn't do much better most of the time.

I'm still testing it, but I can remote desktop to my office system and work so far. I use it right now for a filler service when I can't hit wireless which is not that often anymore.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I see a lot of Internet satellite antennas on Class A's at campground. They all seem to have a blue light at night. Once in awhile I'll find one running unsecured WiFi and I'll pop on for a quick Internet fix.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I suspect the 6 foot regulation is to keep people out of the path of microwave transmissions.

Anyone know how much power these dishes transmit at? There's probably a good reason for the rule...
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hey Mike,

Not sure what the cost is ur referring to. The Treo Unlimited Internet through Sprint is $15 month which I have to have anyway for the phone to work with my Exchange Server. The PDA net is a one time $34.95 for the software to hookup the phone and that's it for charges. You use the same synch cable for the phone and the laptop sees the phone as a usb modem.

It is a bit slower than the aircard, but not $45 a month difference slower. :-) I think it is rated at 184 and the card when I had it didn't do much better most of the time.

I'm still testing it, but I can remote desktop to my office system and work so far. I use it right now for a filler service when I can't hit wireless which is not that often anymore.
I could work from anywhere,so long as I have high speed internet...in a quiet location where I can do conf. calls. If only I could figure that out, I would rv full-time in the summer. Library's are too noisy. Panera's and coffee shops are great, but too public when you have to talk on the phone for 8-9 hours a day.

It would be perfect if I could work inside my trailer. How fast is the service when you go thru your cell phone? Is is comparable to cable internet for large files? Can you talk on the phone at the same time?
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #28

Quote:
I suspect the 6 foot regulation is to keep people out of the path of microwave transmissions.

Anyone know how much power these dishes transmit at? There's probably a good reason for the rule...

Yes. It has to be elevated for safety because of the microwave emmisions. (Warning...boring nerdy info follows.)

Even at 6 ft, it's not really good idea to sit in front of it. It shouldn't have enough power to cook you (like a microwave oven), but I've seen them cause sunburn-type rashes on techs who didn't turn them off before working on them. They can also be a dangerous for people with pace makers and other type devices controlled by radio frequencies. You'd prolly have to stand right in front of it to get a big enough dose to mess up a modern pace maker, but you wouldn't want to experiment on some unsuspecting neighbor with an older version.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #29

One of the reasons I was so interested in WiFi was the EVDO card is not very fast in rural areas. In some metropolitan areas it is quite fast, but that is not where I tend to camp. WiFi is the easiest way to get high speed when it is available. When I have work to do, it is worth it for me to stay at a RV park that has WiFi and charge the cost to my business.

Yes, the EVDO card has nothing to do with your cell phone. They are different accounts. Now if you use your Palm Trio or Black Berry via a USB cable, that would be a problem to use the same device for both operations. I use a PCMCIA EVDO card in my computer. It works equally well in both my Mac and my wife’s PC. Monthly cost for an unlimited account is $59/month.

It is my understanding that the new, next generation, EVDO Express cards are even faster then my PCMCIA card.

I met a guy the has a HughesNet Satellite Antenna that he sets up when he camps. He gets excellent high speed and he can connect any where. The antenna is pretty large and some what difficult to set up. Not for the faint at heart. Cost after you purchase the hardware is $59/month. From what I gather Wild Blue is not user friendly and is extremely hard to set up.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
DataStorm

All Internet, all the time!

$$$$
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #31

Quote:
DataStorm
All Internet, all the time!
$$$$
I believe the MotoSAT (DataStorm) is HughesNet on Seriods. More automation.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'd love to see SpeedTest results on everyone's solutions:

http://www.myspeedtest.com

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
They can also be a dangerous for people with pace makers and other type devices controlled by radio frequencies. You'd prolly have to stand right in front of it to get a big enough dose to mess up a modern pace maker, but you wouldn't want to experiment on some unsuspecting neighbor with an older version.
Do ya think we might find a few pacemakers in an RV park?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #34

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Peter

Using your link, and a Verizon EVDO Rev A usb720.. avg over two tests: 679 kbps down.. I didn't see an Up option

Using DSL Reports, 654 kbps Down, 80 up.

Does not surprise me that the up kinda stinks. I have always noticed that, and confirmed it when I first got the modem. It IS significantly faster than my old pcmcia card, but that was not a Rev A connection.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #35

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
DSL Reports, Java speed test.

I'll also note that I am in a fringe EVDO area. On different spot on the mountain, it seems much faster.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #36

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
3 Watts according to the DataStorm website.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #37

Just found this site. I think it is spendy ($1550 one time fee, $59.99 monthly), but if it gives your “business” freedom to be on the road, it may be a Great Solution.

http://www.maxwellsatellite.com/
Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #38

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
I've read up on several usenet groups and from the posts I've seen Hughes is worse than Wild Blue. Neither of them have customer service.

The problems caused by latency will apply to all providers; it's a physics thing. Some are marginally better than others, but the roundtrip to the satellite is essentially the same for all of them.

As I said, the latency problem is seriously compounded by poorly designed web sites; those that require a new connection (and handshakes) for each element of a page.
A follow-up to my earlier posts on latency:

When Dish Network installed my satellite service, the added a wildblue.com proxy in to my internet browsers. I disabled that proxy setting and saw a significant improvement in download speeds. It's still slow but not treacly.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There is a good article in October's issue of MOTORHOME magazine on this very topic
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #40

Quote:
A follow-up to my earlier posts on latency:

When Dish Network installed my satellite service, the added a wildblue.com proxy in to my internet browsers. I disabled that proxy setting and saw a significant improvement in download speeds. It's still slow but not treacly.

I really, really tried not to say anything, but I just can't stop myself. Proxy servers are usually security devices. They are there either to protect you or the network you are using from releasing information you don't want released, or preventing attackers from getting thru.

You may get less latency if you route around the proxy server. You can get your house door open a lot faster if you don't lock it. You need to ask yourself if that's going to get you what you want in the long run.