campground manager position - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Quote:
Hey, primitives, that's us alright. We will be in South central Colorado, North East of Chama New Mexico just off of Hwy. 17.
Oh that is such a beautiful area! Our avitar photo was taken in that "neigborhood" during our Race Across America trip last year (I work as a reporter every year for this bicycle race).

This year we'll be passing through sometime between June 20 to 22 (depending on whether I'm assigned to cover the leaders or the back-markers) and time permitting, we'll stop by to say "hi." And if it happens that we're in that area near nightfall we might even put down there for the night.

What a great gig you've landed!

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
PagosaToTaos4FGRVTrailMite.jpg  
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #22

'nuther pic of that area.
Attached Thumbnails
PagosaToTaos4FGRVTrailMiteCP.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #23

Here's Spanish rider Julian Sanz Garcia, headed toward Cumbres Pass. He was in 2nd place here, but ended up 8th by the finish in Annapolis. A three-thousand mile race sure takes its toll on a rider!
Attached Thumbnails
PagosaToTaos4FGRVSanz.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite (hull #3)
Sweet ! We will look forward to seeing you then. Now, talk about a sweet gig, yours ain't got no flies on it !

You know I might have to chain Betty's bike to a tree to keep her from falling in with all them guys in bicycle pants !
Attached Thumbnails
100_0036.jpg  
Larry Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #25

Sebastian, sorry for the topic derail, but in my defense it was two workcampers talking about the job ? While I am on here mangling your thread, i'll make an attempt to learn about embedding a photo, is there a testing topic I have missed ?:
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #26

Quote:
You know I might have to chain Betty's bike to a tree to keep her from falling in with all them guys in bicycle pants !
Well, the Race Across America isn't just for the guys. Here's a shot of Caroline Van den Bulk going over Cumbre Pass...
Vic
Attached Thumbnails
VDBCumbresPassRBR.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #27

Quote:
And another of Janet Christiansen just as she rolled over the 1000 mile mark (just 2050 to go!) about 70 miles from Taos.

These two ladies went solo last year. There are a number of women on the relay teams too...fit, trim healthy ladies, I might add. So maybe Betty will want to invest in a chain for your bike too?!

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Christiansen1000mileSiRBR.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #28

Sebastian, our campground has several hiking trailheads, a jeep trail and the fishing lake that will likely bring outdoors related emergencys to us. We are told that a walkie talkie will be provided but that because of the remote location, it doesn't work very well. The nearest cell phone signal is a mile away at a mountaintop, but there is only one bar of signal, and sometimes none.
Do you have any suggestions for communications to resolve emergencys ?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for communications to resolve emergencys ?
This company (and others) has devices to boost a cell signal. I'm looking into getting something for our tow vehicle for uploading our race report stories and photos.
http://mycellularsolutions.com/

Or maybe try this older but effective method...
Attached Thumbnails
smokesignal.JPG  
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
No, Larry, I only have a couple spots in my canyon where I can get a signal.

This is the year of the Ox, my year. I think the gods are having a little fun with it. Like I said, my summer hours were cut in half and now the trans on my Cherokee died yesterday. At least it happened as I was passing through El Paso and not miles down a narrow dirt road quite a ways from a town. There's also a library (guess where I am) a few blocks from the shop where the trans is being rebuilt, as well as a grocery store, and a place out back where I'm living in my trailer. I missed a stellar picture of the Jeep up on the tow truck's flatbed and the casita hooked onto the back of the truck. Oh well but I sure hope I do not have another opportunity to get the shot. And once again the Good Sam Roadside Assistance came to my aid by getting a tow truck to me without charge. Sure has been worth the yearly fee, saved me twice.

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #31

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Sebastian, as of July 24th of this year , we will be getting a .70 cent per hour raise ! He, he, the minimum wage goes up.
Well it's not a managers position but I did take a job as Maintainace man at a private KOA campground for the summer.
Took the job for $7.49 hr. and 3/4 of site fees.
Just 40 hrs a week will be nice.
Had interview with care-takers and told them I would take the job.
I guess my interview went well because yesterday the care-taker called me and said after they talked to the owner about me, he wants to lock me into the job and offered me$8.50 and is going to wave all site fees.
Not too bad for not even being on the job one second.
They had a position for the wife too but she wants to make more $$$ per hour so she declined.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #32

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
don't forget the value of the "included". If you look at your sticks and bricks expenses, take what it would take in $$ to cover your house, utilities, commuting costs and other expenses you incur in day to day living to support the transportation and infrastructure. And keep in mind, you have to earn enough to pay the housing costs + pay the taxes on what you earn to break even on the expense.

If you are required to live on site, the "Included" are not taxable in their value.

I am your typical schmuck, and in the "real world" I spent nearly 3/4 of my take home just to sleep and have transportation to work. The rest went for the other stuff, like food and car payments and stuff. In my new position, since my housing expenses are covered, and my commute time and expense is ZERO, I can manage on a lower salary. I will still have to eat, and I will still have car and insurance payments, and slowly pay down those dreaded credit cards, but I will be comfortable for the time being.

Once the car and CCs get paid off, there will be even more in the pot for savings etc.

So, not all value can be directly related to an hourly wage and what actually goes in cash in your pocket.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
So, not all value can be directly related to an hourly wage and what actually goes in cash in your pocket.
"It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep."
Good points Gina D. I'm wishing you the best of luck in your new position.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
If you are required to live on site, the "Included" are not taxable in their value.
Here's a quote from Workamper.com on site included in income. As I understand it, the IRS makes an exception for volunteers in federal facilities (NP, NM, NF, etc.) but NOT for private except:

"Q: When a Workamper is given an RV site as part of his or her compensation, is the value of the site taxable?

A: Current IRS regulations allow for the exclusion of the value of employer furnished lodging from the employee's gross income, provided the following three tests are met:]1) The lodging is furnished on the business premises of the employer, 2) The lodging is furnished for the convenience of the employer, and 3) The employee is required to accept such lodging as a condition of employment. (see irc 1.119 (). Employer provided meals might also be excluded from gross income. (Also see IRS Publication 525 - "Meals & Lodging"). This means that you do not have to report the value of your site on your tax return. It is unlikely, but should the IRS ever question such an arrangement, you would want to have something in writing from the employer that indicates that you were required to live on site. You should also document the value of the site and/or meals. Since employers can also deduct these costs, both parties benefit from these arrangements."

I'd get a statement from the CG manager every year stating that the site furnished meets the three tests above in case the IRS comes aknocking on your door...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #35

Registry
workamper is where I learned this tid bit. Condition one usually rolls to an automatic 2&3 (If you read it, this only makes logical sense)

The nature of the job 9 times out of 10 requires one to be onsite and all of these conditions are pretty standard practice.

Also standard practice is a contract, which includes this. If you don't HAVE a contract, ask for one.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #36

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
"It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep."
Good points Gina D. I'm wishing you the best of luck in your new position.
I think Gina's point is "it's not what you make but what you spend".
Unfortunately, costs related to a house and three vehicles and other machines that requir maintainance or insurance is a constant.
Even though our home is paid for there is a budget and a $$$ amount that has to be made to maintain all.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #37

With the IRS and income (that's what they get the most fussy about) determination, it is better to have too much paper than not enough!

IRS was actually going to start making volunteers at federal parks declare the 'free' site as income and the Dept of Agriculture/Dept of the Interior had to step in and declare that they would destroy the volunteer host, maintenance and visitor center programs if they did that, so something was officially done to provide for that exception.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Unfortunately, costs related to a house and three vehicles and other machines that require maintain or insurance is a constant.
and there lies the problem with most "younger" home owners/folks doing this. As noted, even WITH the house paid for, the costs do not go away completely. It's not only the maintenance, the county will ask for "rent" twice a year, and the utilities, altho reduced when not there, will still want some change at the end of the month. You auto insurance might go down a bit, but even if you never drive your car all season, you still have to send Farmers, State Farm or the Gecko a check at reduced rates.

Lets not forget that an apple a day may keep the doctor away, but some big insurance company is going to step in and take over a big chunk of what went for mortgage if you do not qualify for medicare yet (And even then, you'll probably supplement)

If you are older and retired, you no doubt are spending your retirement to supplement, and you have some sort of monthly paycheck from the government as well as a medical card. If you are my age (Which I didn't consider "young" until now.. when I have to figure out how to supply adult needs on a 20 year olds circumstances again) you no doubt do not have a ton of retirement resources to fill in the gap. Or a paycheck of sorts, or a doctor waiting to collect from the feds.

SO.. you are pretty much limited to private enterprise if you want to workamp, which gives you a salary as well as housing.

As I go through my house and toss bags and bags of collected junk out, I have mixed feelings. The first is sadness that my "life" so to speak, is reduced to going to a landfill. At the same time, I feel a bit (A LOT) liberated. My sadness is overshadowed by the stress reduction. In the "sticks and bricks" sense..No more broken water heaters to worry about, no worrying about how I am going to pay for the new roof. The plumbing and electrical repairs I have been struggling with to do a bit at a time as I can afford it.. I no longer have that agenda. The kitchen remodel and room additions I have contemplated and drawn and plotted for.. no more.

The feeling of pride I had in saying I worked for a big rock-n-roll icon faded about a day after I was laid off. I am not an egotist when it comes to this stuff, but I think more folks I know envy what I am going to do now than what I DID in the past.

NOTHING is easy when it comes to making a living, so I am now just taking the opportunity to do what I want to do, instead of what I ceased enjoying doing some time ago for the sake of keeping some wood and wire. Will there be new problems? Absolutely.. but at least they are "new" and a new challenge is always welcome.

I think of this whole deal as a forced sort of mid life crisis.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #39

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
well said Gina!!!

Although we are still working we are doing so at a twenty percent loss and we are not 20 year olds but we are no where near retirement either. We are eing forced to look and see what we would like to do as a second career and where we would like to relocate to do it. I am sure that we will be ginving the house back to the bank at a complete loss to us that was our retirement plan and money. Now we are looking at starting over. Oh the joys of the recession. However I agree with Gina that there is a certain liberation in letting go and you making the choices instead of THEM telling you what you will accept and be happy about it.

Alexandra
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #40

Gina, the big problem is that you didn't have a choice!

Had a buddy in my company have his position red-lined and he was given a couple of months to find a new one (there weren't any) -- They sent him home for a year on full pay, and then retired him at the same time as a whole bunch of us took early retirement, except one guy they wouldn't let go because he was needed to do some major software work on old programs for Y2K! Both those guys were unhappy, but the one finally got to retire, leaving a guy who is still unhappy about it 15 years later!! He got the best deal, but was and is still angry about it because he didn't have a choice!