camping axe recommendations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Thanks! As a public service, it's now brilliant yellow like a highway hazard sign so people can more easily steer around my posts!

And, next time I come to some highway construction, I'll know what to expect.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #22

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
For splitting nothing does it like a short handled maul.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Mauls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I referred to my short handled mauls as engineers hammers. I have two, three and four pound hammers. The two pounder you can swing for a long time and on easy splitting wood and with two or three wedges a respectable pile of fire wood can be generated. The three is a nice compromise and my favorite. The four will do significant work and can drive big wedges the best of the three for me. However, after a little while my wrist and arm get kind of noodley and I’m done for a while. I have a nice mid length 6 pounder. Works ok for stand up driving but is too light for pickup load work. For that I like an 8 lb splitting maul especially on dry straight grained wood. Red Elm is stringy and not easily split by man and hammer but is a great firewood. Have a good rest of the weekend!
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #24

Name: Myron
New Mexico
Registry
Dave, you're a maul after my own heart.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I purchased a very well made
Estwing Camper's Axe - 14" Hatchet with Forged Steel Construction & Shock Reduction Grip

It is just right for splitting pieces of kindling off the bundles of camp fire wood you can purchase at stores and campgrounds. I also carry a bow saw and a small folding pruning saw.I don't need a big splitting axe or splitting maul. I am camping, I am not out there homesteading putting up a supply of firewood for the winter. Besides that pretty much everywhere in the Pacific NW I would want to go camping in the summer and fall is all under a burn ban. So in the summer I would very rarely be in need of firewood.

My friend who is very much into Axes and their quality took a look at it and it passed his approval for quality and also for good design features. Such as the flare at the end where you hammer that makes it strong enough to strike a maul when needed. I also wanted its notch feature that aids in pulling out tent stakes. So an all around great quality, reasonably priced, not too big and not too small camping hatchet.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #26

Iowa
Hammer man

Quote:
Dave, you're a maul after my own heart.
Hi Myron
I worked three summers in a grey iron foundry in the 60s. We made counterweights for Link Belt cranes and parts for Cedarrapids Rock crushers. Every day we would knock hot Castings out of the sand molds held together by steel rings. We used an air powered chain lift to get them waist high off the floor. and swung 10and 12 pound mauls like a baseball bat till they dropped out on the floor.. My partner was a recently released man named Roosevelt Green. He had a 16 that could loosen about anything. That’s when I came to appreciate the techniques and details of what could be done with a good hammer. It’s by far not as crude as it may seem but has nuances often unappreciated. So at 72 I still like to split some wood, set stakes and bang things around. It was 135 degrees F on those floors on hot August afternoons. But it was money for college and a better life ahead.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Myron
I worked three summers in a grey iron foundry in the 60s. We made counterweights for Link Belt cranes and parts for Cedarrapids Rock crushers. Every day we would knock hot Castings out of the sand molds held together by steel rings. We used an air powered chain lift to get them waist high off the floor. and swung 10and 12 pound mauls like a baseball bat till they dropped out on the floor.. My partner was a recently released man named Roosevelt Green. He had a 16 that could loosen about anything. That’s when I came to appreciate the techniques and details of what could be done with a good hammer. It’s by far not as crude as it may seem but has nuances often unappreciated. So at 72 I still like to split some wood, set stakes and bang things around. It was 135 degrees F on those floors on hot August afternoons. But it was money for college and a better life ahead.
Iowa Dave
👍 Great story.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For a dozen or more years I have carried a Gransfor Bruks Small Splitting Axe. At 23" with a 2 lb head, I have split lots of large knotted rounds with it. Very well made and nice to use. It works just like any axe, and is way safer and effective than a hatchet which some seem to bring along. Packs nice for a canoe and is always in my truck. Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion. A fantastic, made in Sweden, Axe.
https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/pro...splitting-axe/

I also have their Splitting Maul, which stays out at our rec land, and is awesome at splitting up hordes of rounds. My brother has their Large Splitting Axe, another fantastic axe, but I like the smaller size of mine for packing away while travelling.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #29

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
You could get a Pulaski. You light it, you fight it.

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...=85274&redir=Y
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #30

Iowa
Pulaski

Got two Pulaski fire fighting tools. A True Temper and a Snow and Nealley. Both are good for grubbing and chopping but don’t split wood.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #31

Name: Stan
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17 SD
Arizona
I carry a shingle hammer. The blade is long and narrow made especially for splitting and the head has a large Milled Face, great for pounding things around camp like tent stakes and such.
notnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Hi all,

Any recommendations on a single multi-purpose axe for chopping and splitting firewood to keep onboard?

Thank you!
These work very well for splitting and you don't need any electric power.
The other plus is you get upper body exercise . Another bonus is, no chance of chopping off any of your lower extremities for the more accident prone users.
Highly recommended.
Attached Images

Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #33

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
My “go-to” weapon of choice against firewood rounds.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
The Craw.

Here's our travel "axe". It's just a cheapo bolo style machete with a hook cut into the business end. Great for splitting kindling & managing the fire. We call it "the Craw" with a nod to Jim Carey in "Liar Liar".
Attached Thumbnails
20200603_124549[1].jpg  
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #35

Name: Viron
Trailer: casita
Texas
Estwing is a good off the rack solution. I have one of their axes but don’t use an axe much while trailer camping . In that situation I split some small scavenged wood but often need to drive stakes for a small pop up or lean to for keeping a few things out of sun and rain. A trail tomahawk works for both duties. Mine came from Two Hawks but there are cheaper options.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #36

Name: Jerry
Trailer: 72 cloud, old 80s scamp
Wisconsin
I use a 24inch ish Gerber Axe It has a plastic or fiberglass handle. It works great for me splitting and chopping. I am about 5 6 and 165 lbs. I swing hard enough and most stuff splits.
Find what suits you and you should be happy!
Willieswonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #37

Name: Bruce
California
Fiskars splitting are, best option bar none
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #38

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Cheap Harbor Freight axe as it wont hurt as much when left behind, or damaged when used improperly.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #39

Name: Bruce
California
Fiskars splitting axe, best option bar none
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #40

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I carry a Hudson Bay axe, very sharp and use it mostly to get shavings off wood to get the fire going. A Hudson Bay axe is about 1/2 as long as a full size axe so it is handy also to put stakes in the ground for awning without having to carry a hammer of find a rock. stone age man
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco