camping axe recommendations - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
The Fender "Strat" is, without question, the axe!

There's even little hatchet-sized models you can pack around!
Attached Thumbnails
Axe_Heaven_Miniature_Fender_Strat_Guitar.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:49 AM   #42

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Dang I guess I've got a ax thing... For hatchets my first one is made in Germany I bought when I was stationed there #2 a Eastwing leather washer handle one a nice little hatchet for years I wanted one. One of my first choice for splitting wood ax wise is my double bit ax one edge is for chopping wood second edge slightly blunted for splitting wood, it's older than me. Ax #2 is a Max-Ax I carry in my Jeep. From there a "boys" ax for Cold Steel and a fireman hatchet. First choice for cutting wood chainsaw.then bowsaw then a ax as last resort unless I'm trying to take mine off of something. 🤔 My hatchet from Germany works good for making kindling and will take a wicked sharp edge. The Eastwing hatchet's home was mounted inside of my Scamp right inside door. I'm not much on the "camp fire" thing needed always, I guess it's situation depending.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:34 AM   #43

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
What an enjoyable thread. Good advice and I learned a couple of neat tricks and new things. I have a couple of Gränsfors Bruk axes as well as Estwing and Fiskar. I had an Eswing axe and an Estwing rock hammer break. That is when I bought the Gränsfors Bruk and never looked back. I don't really chop. I use a small sledge hammer to the back of the axe and a wedge to as necessary.

I much prefer to use bow saws. I really like the Sven saw. I also have a folding pruning saw, but very seldom use it, worried that it might release in my grip, slipping and my hand going into the blade. I have a nice Bahco 30" bow saw that I carry. I split a section of garden hose length wise and slip that over the blade, then use twist ties to secure it to the blade. Without covering the blade I would catch it on everything. I swear to you one time I was five feet away from the blade and I cut myself. But not since I cover the blade.

I bought an electric chain saw last year and now use it for just about everything.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #44

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Yeah, but storing the table saw is a hassle, and offensive to other campers

I decided to bring a Duraflame log along for starting fires. I know, it's not traditional, but it works. Just cut a thin piece of the waxy log off and it will start a fire very well. Even with wet wood. One log will start many fires.
Pulling a camper with my truck and enjoying the convenience of a hot water shower, toilet, cooking stove and oven, a refrigerator and furnace, is so far from traditional camping, that I allow myself one more deviation: to start camp fires with the click start torch that I use otherwise to sweat copper pipes when doing house plumbing projects.
Other than that, I bring along a small bow saw (keep the blade covered by a piece of plastic pipe while stored), a folding pruning saw, an axe and a small hatchet. All come handy wherever it is permitted to collect firewood.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco