Change of heart on fulltiming - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Mark, totally understandable. I think only a small percentage of retired RVers are full-timing in their RVs. You are in the majority.

Our old postman retired about 4-5 years ago, and he confided to me that he and his wife were debating whether to sell their home and fulltime in their big 5th wheel. He was ready to do it, she was somewhat unsure. I told him, why not keep the home for at least a year while you fulltime? That way you'll know for sure if you both will be happy doing it. They took the advice, and guess what... they still have their home and they go out for 2-3 months at a time but always return to the house for a month or three.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #22

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Hey Mark, I will be traveling alone once my nieces get too old to want to camp. I'll bring my FGRV and meet you!
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:04 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Its is nice to get away,, Its nice to get home. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i think it's very interesting that a lot of folks sort of adopt the "full timer" idea as the next step after retirement and being/becoming mobile in a fgrv. i certainly am guilty. the inherent complexities of selling out is the main thing that saved me from tossing caution to the wind. what i've learned is that "half timing" works well for me right now. i camp host for 3-4 months each year and find that fun and rewarding. then there's a couple long trips purely for the sake of travel that are a month or so in length. for me, it's the best of both worlds. i'm happy to slip the surly bonds of home and equally happy to return for some family and friends time. while out there i do manage to stay in touch with those i care about via internet and phone. i post a blog while traveling to let those that want to keep up with what i'm up to. i also use the blog to vent or sing the praises of those adventures.

balance is what it's all about. there are those that blossom being in motion and those that prefer it in smaller doses. your realization of what you want/need is a good thing. enjoy your mobility the way you want it.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #25

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Thanks for all of the encouragement. I guess it is all about knowing yourself. I have always been a free spirit and have taken the road less travelled in my life. I feel fortunate to have been able travel more than the average person so far in my life, but there is so much more I want to see while I am physically able to do so. But as I said, the relationships I have at home are more important than anything else in my life. So part timing makes the most sense to me. And the biggest concern for me will be finances. I can live comfortably on my pension, but any kind of major expense that eventually will come up in life will be a burden. When I thought my decision thru, I envisioned being a thousand miles from home, and have a major expense, and then being stuck somewhere practically broke and miserable. Or running out of money on my monthly pension and just merely "existing" at a campground somewhere a long way from home, waiting for the next monthly pension check to be deposited. I know I can't sit long without getting bored. I can always be broke at "home" and still enjoy the simple things in life. My decision to give up on my dream of fulltiming was based as much on finances as being homesick - both thoughts made me realize I cannot be a fulltimer. Now I can save enough to have money to travel and do the things I want to do as I travel, and when I run out of money I have budgeted for each trip, it will be time to head home.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. I almost felt some kind of failure when I decided I had to back off of my plan to full time. I think I could handle more of a full time lifestyle if I was rich and come home a month or two at a time whenever I wanted, and still do all the things I wanted on the road! HA
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

#1, we don't want to be away from our home church.

Darral,

I found this particularly interesting. We were very good members of a church in our home town. There are only 1,000 churches in the denomination though it's been around since the founding of the country.

One thing we did during our travels was to visit the other churches. During the first few years we 'Sunday visited' over 100 of the 1,000. It was actually very enlightening.

Mark,

Most people that we know that have full timed were previously RVers. Very few full timed in small trailers. Most of them, after 10 years of full timing purchase another grounded dwelling, though usually smaller, and more practical than there former home.

We are an anomaly in that we had never Rved, did not sell our house and travel about 8 months a year, using the other 4 to be with friends and family. Now that we've sold our house in NH we'll be camping in NH for 3 or 4 months each year, still able to maintain the soul warming relationships.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #27

Name: BKay
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Think a Casita would be a good option for you as well.
Whatever your choice I wissh you the best.
Have fun...
bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #28

Missouri
I wish Casita and Scamp and others were options, but my first priority will be a TT to fit my 6'5" frame, eliminating many brands to seem to be for sale more often. I've heard the arguments that being able to stand is not that big of issue, but it is to me. Being able to stand upright and a big enough bed to sleep comfortably are #1 and #2 priorities.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #29

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
So much wisdom in these posts - glad I investigated the 'new posts' today. I appreciate other peoples' experiences and thoughts. We are getting close to retirement ourselves and I wrestle with many ideas! So many, I drive myself crazy. Very grateful we have a small camper we can nestle into the woods and peace out from time to time.

Thanking everyone for their insight.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #30

Florida
On our long drive to FL Ginny and I were discussing Mark's decision and considering how it's gone for us.

Ginny said we have had 8 homes, all in the same general area except for our NH summer home which actually became the one we owned the longest, some 30 years. She loved them all but misses none. Life's path can be new and interesting while being different. Love continues anew.

This is not to suggest staying put or traveling lightly is bad at all. For us we seem to love where ever we are. Of course we miss the people from our past but somehow we manage to see them all for a time every year. We also have come to love numerous people we've met in 15 years of travel. Many are really 'interestingly different' than the people of our past and just as easy to love and care about.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #31

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
How many folks go the route of buying a small plot of land, maybe 5 acres, and putting a small storage shed, electric and water system in? Then just use this as a home base, spending maybe 5 months there, and traveling the rest of the time.

This would allow for doing some gardening, staying close to family/friends etc. but still not have to maintain a house with all the associated costs and maintenance. This is the plan I'm considering. I assume it's been done before, any thoughts on how it works out?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
How many folks go the route of buying a small plot of land, maybe 5 acres, and putting a small storage shed, electric and water system in? Then just use this as a home base, spending maybe 5 months there, and traveling the rest of the time.

This would allow for doing some gardening, staying close to family/friends etc. but still not have to maintain a house with all the associated costs and maintenance. This is the plan I'm considering. I assume it's been done before, any thoughts on how it works out?
I think it sounds lovely. I live in Oregon. Any land of that size has already been snapped up by housing contractors or isn't zoned for housing. Or isn't close to any town of any size. I hope it works for you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Change of heart on fulltiming

I suspect it will be tricky, too.

Arizona does have plenty of land with minimal zoning restrictions where something like that is possible. However it tends to be undesirable plots far from town and often far from paved roads. In addition, it tends to attract... how to say this politely... fringe elements?... as neighbors.

I believe there are age-restricted communities where the "houses" are more like RV docks. But they tend to be picky about what sort of RV you have, and packed in like sardines.

I'm not saying give up, though. It does sound like a nice compromise between traditional home ownership and full-timing. I hope you'll share what you find out.

I prefer to go the route of a small, low maintenance cottage-size house with on-site RV parking so my trailer can become a guest house.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #34

Florida
Lyle,

We've traveled the country and there are all kinds of places where you can buy a situation like you describe, the issue is it may not be near your existing friends and family.

As to friends and family, there have been yers where we've seen our most distant relative more than we've seen all our local relatives combined in terms of total hours. Just because you live in the same town does not mean you see someone a lot. One year we spent a month in our son's driveway and saw him for many hours virtually every day.

The travel life time shouldn't be thought of from the perspective of past life experiences. Different opportunities and methods for those traveling in a little trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #35

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Mark, if the Escapees organization is any indication, most full timers spend years preparing to go full-time. They have usually been on the road a good deal in previous years and have an idea of what that entails and what the life is like. There is the "Class of 2015" mostly now on the road and the "Class of 2016" getting through their plans of getting an RV and selling their house, and the "Class of 2017" behind them with their to-do lists.

Once you go out for a month or two a few times, you will have a much better idea of the situation. I think most full-timers would say that they spend on the road about what they spent when they lived at home because that is how they structure their RV life. Some less. Some stay in their RV in their home area for many months and then only go to a second area for the other months, while some move around quite a bit when not "home."

Others do just travel around all of the time, seemingly with no real home area, but that is probably the exception. They may soon be looking for a more permanent place to stay. In fact, many are looking for such a place with their travels and that was one big reason that they went full time. You already have that so you would not be looking for that. There are plenty who do full-time from "home." They do not want the maintenance and expense of a house which they consider to be much greater than for an RV.

So many of them are actually living much as you are proposing for yourself. I would say that the majority of people who are full-timers or close really have a home base and the ones who don't are looking for one.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #36

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You've received lots of support from our FGRV "family". There's nothing much I can add.

I got to thinking, though, what FGRVs have high headroom? I think most owners are on the average or short side. I am 5'4" and my husband is 5'9". The Scamp is "just right" for us in head room and bed room.

The Lil' Snoozy has 6'4" headroom. Trailer Specifications: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites
The Happier Camper has 6'2" headroom. Happier Camper | Ultra-light Travel and Utility Trailers
The Alpine Chalet is 8' at the highest point. This is a A-frame pop-up. Trailer Specifications: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

Others on this forum will, most certainly, have relevant information.

Best to you upon your retirement. Personally, I prefer the term "renewment".
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #37

Missouri
Actually, Cathi, that was my original plan - find somewhere near "home" to park and live in my RV for one or two months at a time when not on the road. But to do so, I would want (or need) one of the nicer and more expensive models. I would need a full bathroom and more living space inside. Plus things like SATV, propane/solar/generator modifications. Especially in winter months, I don't think I would be comfortable in tight living quarters year round and when confined for several days to the RV in bad weather. I'm a bit clastrophobic. I've ruled out the $25K+ models. With a truck in the same $25+ range, that's too much of an investment on a lifestyle I am not sure I will want to do for an extended time. I see myself more of a fair weather traveller. Having said that, I have not ruled out the plan you stated, at least for the first year or two. My first extended trip will tell me alot about what I can handle - the summer of my retirement I still plan to have my RV ready to hit the road to northern Rockies, Olympia National Park, and south on the Pacific Coast Hwy. After 2-3 months of that, I think I will be ready to head home for a break. I think that trip will tell me much about what I can handle, expenses, and the solo lifestyle.
But I am thinking of going with a used Lil Snoozy, Egg Camper, or something in the $15-18K range instead of the more expensive Oliver, Escape, or Parkline. Wish I could afford something like the new Oliver with all the bells and whistles, just not in my budget.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #38

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Possibly my post reflects a generational shift or just my own way of thinking but there are two differences I notice in my thinking and in that of people just a few years older than me. Granted, what I am about to say is not unilaterally agreed on by everyone in the Generation X age group, (I'm at the very upper end of this group, and 49.)

1. I've never own and never intended to own a home or property.
2. I've never had the idea that I'd be able to retire in the concept as is known by many of the original Baby boomer generation, (possibly cut down to part time if I am lucky.) Reason being is that I've never though it was an option or going to be there for us, (we've already been indoctrinated that it wasn't going to.)

So, home ownership and roots may not be the same thing. The lack of roots for me may be a gypsy style life but, I do feel that I have three or four locations of family/friends, (Arizona, for my parents, Illinois for my Siblings, North Dakota and Montana for close friends and California, for friends also.)

Jen
p.s. I already live in a motel and would expect to do the same if my trailer needed to go in for repairs.
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #39

Name: BKay
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Wow....Congratulations
bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Actually, Cathi, that was my original plan - find somewhere near "home" to park and live in my RV for one or two months at a time when not on the road. But to do so, I would want (or need) one of the nicer and more expensive models. I would need a full bathroom and more living space inside. Plus things like SATV, propane/solar/generator modifications. Especially in winter months, I don't think I would be comfortable in tight living quarters year round and when confined for several days to the RV in bad weather. I'm a bit clastrophobic. I've ruled out the $25K+ models. With a truck in the same $25+ range, that's too much of an investment on a lifestyle I am not sure I will want to do for an extended time. I see myself more of a fair weather traveller. Having said that, I have not ruled out the plan you stated, at least for the first year or two. My first extended trip will tell me alot about what I can handle - the summer of my retirement I still plan to have my RV ready to hit the road to northern Rockies, Olympia National Park, and south on the Pacific Coast Hwy. After 2-3 months of that, I think I will be ready to head home for a break. I think that trip will tell me much about what I can handle, expenses, and the solo lifestyle.
But I am thinking of going with a used Lil Snoozy, Egg Camper, or something in the $15-18K range instead of the more expensive Oliver, Escape, or Parkline. Wish I could afford something like the new Oliver with all the bells and whistles, just not in my budget.
Mark, you might just get yourself a lower-than-budget-priced egg and use it a while with the idea that you will sell it. That is one possibility. Then you will know what you actually need. For sure, a propane furnace. Solar would be good to see how well that does and get it straight. With extended travel in mind, I would say to have all tanks, black, gray, fresh and then you will know about that. Then you can sell the egg if it does not meet some important features you want and get another one. You should be able to get most of your money back as they tend to hold their value very well. Or maybe you would be lucky and get one you would keep as it meets everything.

In winter, for sure you want to be in the house or far south in an egg. An egg in winter in MO is not worth the trouble. Or in most of the country. It is very limited as to where most RVers are in winter due to the fact that they do not want their water lines freezing and they want to be in a warm place anyway. Few places meet that. You have a good amount of time to figure it all out.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming