Change of heart on fulltiming - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #61

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hey Alf,
Want to borrow my two to give her a scare??
Old 12-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #62

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Boy I had no idea this thread would carry on for so long. Lots of personal experiences shared by others.
I will always have a "home base" even though I don't own a home. Ste. Genevieve, Missouri will always be home. I am the youngest of twelve children, eleven still living, and we all live within an hour of each other. As ranger pointed out, if I would get sick, I would come "home" and rent an apartment. When I get to the point in my life that travel doesn't interest me, or I am unable to travel, I know "home" is where my family lives.
I am getting frustrated with my search for my travel trailer. My ideal trailer was posted for sale on here a couple months ago. Only problem was it was in New Hampshire. After exchanging emails, I was hoping to make a deal in the spring. I just got an email last week that he sold it. Bummer.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I guess I have a different opinion I moved to St Louis after a divorce and the move was the 18th one for me I was forced to stay here so I could see my child on weekends and summers I don t regret that but I am counting the days to move out of St Louis and be on the road I enjoy meeting new people seeing different places I have no family and really know no one in St Louis as I am on the road 9 months a year so the decision is easier for me Good luck with your retirement its sounds like your plan will work out well for you
Kevin B Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #64

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
MM...if you can come to our rally on Lake Shelbyville in June, you will visit with some fulltimers, some part timers, several different FG campers, mods, and lots of fellowship. See ", Buggies(Amish), Broadway, Boats, and Bo(Wood)" in Rallys Fourm. Hope to see you in June!
ozierjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #65

Missouri
Well, folks, at the risk of sounding wishy washy, my plans on buying a FGRV are on hold. I wish I could afford to buy a nice Escape or something similar, but it isn't the prudent thing to do right now. With retirement approaching, and I have never owned a house, I am going to stick all of my savings into a small house out in the country that I can almost pay cash for, and never have to worry about house payments or rent for the rest of my life. I can live comfortably on my modest pension if I don't have that expense hanging over my head each month. I hope to still eventually have a FGRV to travel some in my retirement, but I have to use my small savings for my retirement home.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #66

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I'm 100% in support of whatever works best for you. To me, a little country home that's all paid for sounds idyllic.
And you never know when a trailer might enter your life. What's life if it isn't full of surprises?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #67

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Planning for the end game (post retirement) is interesting.

Our primary home is a small trailer, our Scamp 16. It takes us where we want to go. Cost $5000 used, remodeled probably another $3000 to upgrade for our travels. We towed it with a reliable vehicle we already owned. It cost virtually nothing to own and always provides a cozy, dry space.

Our secondary home is a park model in an Escapee park where we're surrounded by friendly helping people much like us. We volunteer to work on projects with others and keep the place spify. Our entire purchase cost is about $25,000. Since there's a waiting list at our park you can turn it in and get your money back whenever you want. On top of the original purchase it costs us about $250 a month for electricity, internet, insurance and park maintenance fee.

All in all, we seek a comfortable place, rather low cost, a small space with not a lot of stuff, capable of handling four visitors though only one bedroom, we've sat 14 for dinner with small effort and 8 easily, a place that takes care of itself when we're traveling, where the grass is cut no matter how long we're gone, we're there are camp wide happy hours four days a week and individual happy hours daily.

A secondary part of this is falling apart time. The nature of the park allows you to hang on longer than you might in your own home. THough it's not an assisted living place, there's a fair amount of assisting. We actually have a group of men and women who are on a list to help widows and widowers.

We have numerous gatherings and meals, cards and games most nights, movies one night a week, poker regularly. More to do than anyone can.

Ginny's favorite aspect is it's size, easy to clean and maintain.

Another consideration beyond being able to stay here longer than we might in a more traditional home, is that it will be easy for our children to dispose of when we pass away. Pretty much everything in the building will pass on to the next owner.

A little different approach to the end game....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #68

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Norm and Ginny have it right!!

We were lucky enough to meet them in February and were quite impressed with their park and it's lifestyle. All of the points he made echo what Dennis and I will look for.

Nothing worse than being away and having to worry about things at home. This park is set up to alleviate that.

Thanks again, to you both, for your hospitality.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #69

Florida
Settling In.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p;576712[I
]Norm and Ginny have it right!!

We were lucky enough to meet them in February and were quite impressed with their park and it's lifestyle. All of the points he made echo what Dennis and I will look for.

Nothing worse than being away and having to worry about things at home. This park is set up to alleviate that.

Thanks again, to you both, for your hospitality.[/I]
Theresa, It was a delight having you as our guests.

Ginny especially wants to thank you for the flowers. "They lasted two weeks and I loved them." After you left I had to buy more.

There is something about simplifying one's life that adds to the joy and potential freedom of old age.

Bless you both and hope to see you at least one way of our trip to NL.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #70

Florida
Another View

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Norm and Ginny have it right!!

Thanks again, to you both, for your hospitality.
Here's a little but of the spirit.

We have a huge clubhouse. Last night we had our St. Patrick's dinner and dance, a massive amount of really good food. We cooked 150 pounds of corned beef, enough for 150 people for dinner plus enough for Ruben sandwiches at Saturday lunch and corned beef hash on Monday morning.

Today I held a painting party. Over 50 people appeared at 9 AM and gave the building a first coat of paint. We were finished by noon. we had people strung out across the building, unbelievably someone every 5 feet or so. We followed it up with a pizza lunch. It was a hoot. Tuesday we do a second coat.

It was old time barn raising fun. It was interesting to see how happy everyone appeared to be working together. It made me feel good to see the joy in it all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-16-2016, 11:28 PM   #71

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I have seriously thought of fulltiming when I retire in 2018, but have come to the realization that I can't do it. All the travel to seeing this great country sounds good, but I would be travelling alone and know I would get lonely and miss my life at home. Small things like weekend golf with my buddies, getting together to watch the big game, and seeing family regularly are the highlights of my life. I love to travel, and see other parts of the country, but I also know that not having anyone around to share it with takes most of the joy away.
I have now reset my sights. I still plan to purchase a FB trailer, and I'm actively following this site and others looking for the ideal purchase. I have lowered my expectations (and price range) on the type of RV I want, as I now know it will just be temporary living quarters. I can do without some of the nicer things in life for away. I am now thinking 1 or 2 month trips to different parts of the country I want to see. But I know myself well enough to know that by then I will be ready to get back home to Missouri and have a few beers or a round of golf with friends and family. Those things are more important to me than spending months in the most beautiful spots in the US.
I honestly don't know how people do it year round. I had grandiose plans of living the life, but had to be honest with myself, and know I would not be happy. I've lived in other parts of the country throughout my life, working a thousand miles from home, and remember how after the newness wears off, I get homesick.
Still look forward to this site for advice along the way. Please, God, help me find the ideal Egg Camper, Lil Snoozy, Parkliner, Escape, or other brand to fit my 6'5" frame and make me comfortable to live in for a couple months at a time.
There are many people that full time in rv's/mobile homes in any city. You don't have to move across the country and say goodbye to your friends, just check out any of the mobile home/rv parks in your city.

I see plenty of full timers in those places that have been there for years and are camping year round. If you want a change of scenery you just hook up and go to another park in the city, all while still being close to your work.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #72

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bluetang99 re-full timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
There are many people that full time in rv's/mobile homes in any city. You don't have to move across the country and say goodbye to your friends, just check out any of the mobile home/rv parks in your city.

I see plenty of full timers in those places that have been there for years and are camping year round. If you want a change of scenery you just hook up and go to another park in the city, all while still being close to your work.
Odd way to express Tang? anyway yep us should find yourself a partner to go to all those places I did it for 4 months in 09 missed my partner the whole time but I got to see places I might not of seen though we have the two of us covered some of them of late. Last year across the US to NS, NL, NB, and back to BC through Canada, dodging Tornado's along the way. Met up with some pretty strong winds just the same, we have fixed MH so not more wind problems but Tornado will finish it so we try and work around them.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #73

Name: Gorky
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
Hello y'all, new person.

For what its worth, I'm planning to full-time because both I and my wife have been moving around the country all our lives and we now have friends and family in just about every part of the country and some in Canada. If we stay put we'll never see them again, they aren't going to quit work for a month and come see us. So full-timing might give us a chance to see people we wouldn't normally be able to if we can figure out the logistics of it.
Gorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #74

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Retirement Travel or Not

Retirement is an interesting thing. After going to work every day for 40+ years suddenly you're at home all the time. A change of working sometimes requires a change of location. We sold one house and moved about 30 miles away and bought another. During the long process of selling and buying houses we took a 30+ day trip to the southwest in the Scamp. I think these two things helped make the transition from working daily to not. It reinforced the idea that we're now free of work ties that required a daily commute. One of the things that make the transition easier is hobbies, lots of hobbies. At least this has all been the case for me. Be open to new things. My hobbies have changed and adjusted since I retired and provide me with a lot of satisfaction.

As a retired friend said you have to do something.

Since like to travel in the winter and some in the summer some of the hobbies have to be small enough to carry along. I have three or four hobbies that travel very nicely.

Everybody would be better off with a lot of internal analysis of what's right for you. Talk to your spouse about what he/she wants. Talk a lot so you both have an idea what you're getting into. We started talking and thinking about it several years before the time came. If you haven't done that then my advice is NOT to make changes you can't undo, at least for a while.

Happy retirement to all those that are retired or about to retire.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #75

Missouri
First off, amazing that this thread has over 70 responses in 2 years since I started it. I've always dreamed of travelling the US in a travel trailer and began researching about 3 yrs ago. So much knowledge and experience on here are appreciated as FGRV is my main tool for info. Now down to 1.5 until retirement, my dreams and plans continue to evolve. My financial future makes my dreams unatainable, so plans have changed accordingly. I wish I could afford a nice #1 Oliver, #2 Bigfoot, #3 Lil Snoozy, and #4 Egg Camper, but I can't afford those models (#1 requirement is being able to stand and sleep comfortably as I am 6'5") .
Being single, and realizing I wouldn't enjoy travelling alone for over 2-3 months at a time, I am now planning to take my savings and buy a cabin on a local lake development. Love to fish. Never owned a home. Pay cash and no rent or house payments, and live on my $3500/mon Missouri teacher's pension, with a little social security at age 62. I live in a rural area and can easily live on that income.
I now plan to buy a used Scamp type TT, and deal with the height issue, sucks, or
heaven forbid a sticks and alum TT ( boo, hiss, lol). Going to have to stay cheap, and lowered my standards to $5-8K price. Even the used Lil Snoozy is going for $14K +, and a truck to pull it, would eat into my saving too much. I need a permanent room over my head, and will just have to go cheap on the TT plans.
Wish I could afford both a nice modest home and nice TT, but it ain't gonna happen. Hopefully make a once a year long trip, and do lots of short trips.
ENJOY READING ON THIS SITE AND CHECK SALES OR CHAT A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK. GOOD INFO.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #76

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I suspect that if you pay cash and live on your retirement, you'll be able to save money towards that nicer trailer. Not having rent or house payment makes a big difference! Also no commuting costs, lower wardrobe costs, and other retirement perks.

But I also know you can have a lot of fun in an old trailer. You might look at the poptop type (Hunter, Compact, Trails West) as there is plenty of standing room with the top up (though rarely a bathroom and never a shower). They are easy to put up, unlike tent trailers, and light to tow.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #77

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree. I think your plan is very realistic and attainable. An older trailer may take a little more work than a newer one, but you have time and you'll have just as much fun when you're traveling. Best wishes in your retirement!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #78

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
A few words of wisdom from a retired "Happy camper".... Not a full timer.

You might add a few websites to your reading list.

RVTravel.com is a weekly industry report that is worth reading for many reasons...a subscription is free...lots of broad based knowledge on this site.
They are not focused on only fiberglass travel trailers...well worth reading.

Irv2.com. A very good site for information and education.

There are many others.

I have followed this site for a year or more. I am not a true believer as are most on this site. I do not live in fear of a roof leak in my stick built travel trailer. Since 1983 I have owned 3 travel trailers ....first one was too small for the family...second one was perfect for a family and it traveled most of the USA spending about 6 weeks every summer exploring just about every state and National Park....the kids got a great education.
Our current travel trailer is a stickie (26 ft. Trail Lite by R-Vision) built with aluminum and steel "sticks" and has a fiberglass skin...a super ultra lite unit...well built by a good maker that now specializes in giant custom luxury motor homes...they no longer make Travel Trailers.
Point of all this is I have never had a roof leak in any of my units.

Fact is the "fiberglass travel trailers" have a few shortcomings (no pun intended )....aside from short sleeping accommodations their interior appointments tend to be a little crude compared to most stickies....the more you compare the more you will notice the differences.
Their motto should be ...." ....to charge more for no appearent reason".

Being retired and living on a limited budget you might shop around before you spend more and perhaps get less.
Stickies offer full side beds....excellent kitchens and baths.
Being single you don't need any slide outs etc.
You will get more bang for your buck in a quality sticky.

This report will come under attack by the loyal Fiberglass fraternity and all my facts will be disputed.

The cabin on a lake is something I tried for a dozen years....good to have a home base...travel in the months with the best camping weather and enjoy the cabin whenever living on the road gets old.....variety is the spice of life.

Keep an open mind and explore all the RV marketplace has to offer.
Attend RV/Camping shows to see the variety of offerings.
I found one of my gently used Travel trailers through such a show.

My current travel trailer was obtained direct from its original owner who took excellent care of it.
Here is a list of what $5,000 can buy used: 26 ft ultra lite travel trailer that is easy to tow with 30 gal holding tanks (fresh water/grey water/waste water).....hot water heater...well equipped kitchen...spacious bathroom with tub and shower plus vanity....two double beds (room for tall folks!)...
dinette...13,500 BTU A/C....furnace for heat....dual power refrigerator with separate freezer (runs on A/C power and propane) two 20lb propane tanks...and plenty of storage spaces for clothing and pots and pans etc...nice awning...spare tire...roof ladder and more!!!
All in mint condition (I have owned it four years...no roof leaks...no system failures...owned by a happy camper)...$5,000 well spent!!!

Good luck whatever you buy and get help from a RV veteran during your selection process.

Happy Camping
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #79

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Missouri Mark,

Wishing you the best with your pending retirement and your plans.

My DW and I just finished our first camping season with our '05 Casita Freedom Deluxe that we bought in November '15. We then purchased an '09 Kia Borrego V8 to tow it in December '15. I had posted a thread on FGRV regarding the $25,000 question regarding the possibility of buying an egg and tug on that budget. As always, I received lots of feedback, expertise, and wisdom. Our combo ran us about $23,000, including taxes that left a little money for RV and camping equipment. Plus, we sold our daughter's '04 Celica and gave her one of our nicer vehicles when we bought the Borrego, thus lowering our out of pocket costs a bit more.

On the other hand, if our budget would have been $10,000, I think we would have been happy using our '05 Honda Pilot that I purchased for $4,000 for younger daughter and we could have bought a used '13 trailer for $6,000 or less. Still would have been lots of fun. I am still 8.5 years until retirement to think about that Oliver! Until then, I think we will be perfectly happy in the Casita, but the 13' trailer would have been just as fine for a few years.

Again, wishing you the best in finding the cabin/egg camper/stickie combination that fits best for you and your budget. You can and will do it!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 11-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #80

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
A few words of wisdom from a retired "Happy camper".... Not a full timer.

You might add a few websites to your reading list.

RVTravel.com is a weekly industry report that is worth reading for many reasons...a subscription is free...lots of broad based knowledge on this site.
They are not focused on only fiberglass travel trailers...well worth reading.

Irv2.com. A very good site for information and education.

There are many others.

I have followed this site for a year or more. I am not a true believer as are most on this site. I do not live in fear of a roof leak in my stick built travel trailer. Since 1983 I have owned 3 travel trailers ....first one was too small for the family...second one was perfect for a family and it traveled most of the USA spending about 6 weeks every summer exploring just about every state and National Park....the kids got a great education.
Our current travel trailer is a stickie (26 ft. Trail Lite by R-Vision) built with aluminum and steel "sticks" and has a fiberglass skin...a super ultra lite unit...well built by a good maker that now specializes in giant custom luxury motor homes...they no longer make Travel Trailers.
Point of all this is I have never had a roof leak in any of my units.

Fact is the "fiberglass travel trailers" have a few shortcomings (no pun intended )....aside from short sleeping accommodations their interior appointments tend to be a little crude compared to most stickies....the more you compare the more you will notice the differences.
Their motto should be ...." ....to charge more for no appearent reason".

Being retired and living on a limited budget you might shop around before you spend more and perhaps get less.
Stickies offer full side beds....excellent kitchens and baths.
Being single you don't need any slide outs etc.
You will get more bang for your buck in a quality sticky.

This report will come under attack by the loyal Fiberglass fraternity and all my facts will be disputed.

The cabin on a lake is something I tried for a dozen years....good to have a home base...travel in the months with the best camping weather and enjoy the cabin whenever living on the road gets old.....variety is the spice of life.

Keep an open mind and explore all the RV marketplace has to offer.
Attend RV/Camping shows to see the variety of offerings.
I found one of my gently used Travel trailers through such a show.

My current travel trailer was obtained direct from its original owner who took excellent care of it.
Here is a list of what $5,000 can buy used: 26 ft ultra lite travel trailer that is easy to tow with 30 gal holding tanks (fresh water/grey water/waste water).....hot water heater...well equipped kitchen...spacious bathroom with tub and shower plus vanity....two double beds (room for tall folks!)...
dinette...13,500 BTU A/C....furnace for heat....dual power refrigerator with separate freezer (runs on A/C power and propane) two 20lb propane tanks...and plenty of storage spaces for clothing and pots and pans etc...nice awning...spare tire...roof ladder and more!!!
All in mint condition (I have owned it four years...no roof leaks...no system failures...owned by a happy camper)...$5,000 well spent!!!

Good luck whatever you buy and get help from a RV veteran during your selection process.

Happy Camping
My reason to buy a FG is not b/c of leaks in the stick built. I was well aware that I could buy 3 stickies for the price of a new Scamp. It is all about size,and I wanted small. Small foot print in my driveway, Small TV that I can use as a daily driver. Get into small camp sites. Do a u-turn at a small sized street. Pull into any gas station, Fast food place, strip mall, without the hassle of having 28'-30' to think about. Regards, Carl.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming