Clothing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
More questions for the fulltimers..

Obviously, storage is an issue in an egg. How do you dress? (No.. not.. left sock, left shoe..) How do you scale down the wardrobe to fit?

Most eggers I have seen camping don't bring suits, male or female, but I am sure on occasion, you run into circumstances where one is needed. How do you balance the blue jeans and T shirts with that and still keep the items to a minimum?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
In my case, one hanger in my closet had gray slacks, blue blazer, white shirt and tie. The rest of my outfit was T's, shorts, socks, underwear, plus a couple of heavy weather shirts, sweaters, long johns and parka.

Like the one full time lady said, "We keep moving, so the folks here don't have any idea what I wore yesterday...".
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
The saying goes that we wear 20% of our clothing 80% of the time, so maybe we just need to get rid of the 80% we are not wearing and do laundry often for the rest. I like Pete's suggestion of one good outfit for who knows what, and the rest is casual and foldable. What we carry depends on the climate...hot , cold, wet. Another good rule is "new item in...old item out".

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #4

I only used the "dress" stuf a couple of times. Otherwise, I did laundry about once every week or ten days, depending on what I was using.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
We have one tupperware packer for cool weather clothing, and one for warm weather for each one of us. We carry a three season jacket ands a couple of fleece vests for each of us. Most summer clothing is purchased at Walmart or another discount store, that way if it gets stained or ragged, we don.t feel too bad about using it to check the oil in the tow vehicle. Rosemary carries a broom skirt and a dress blouse and I carry a sport jacket in the closet for "Good" occasions. Our trailer wardrobe is packed year round so we can move out at any time.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thumbs up

I believe thats true!

I LOVE clothes so I intend to take that 20% somehow!
I mean how many pots & pans do you need!?

Really, I want to check out those vacuum sealed clothes storage systems to see if it may be a viable way to store more clothes

Anyone have one?
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #7

Umm, wouldn't that imply one would have a vacuum cleaner handy? Whatever for? That's why car washes have the big suckers, for the occasional cleaning.

The object is to cut back on stuf, not have more!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
vaccuum cleaner on board here. Carpet is on the floor

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On my Trill the carpet has snaps so you take out and wash/clean then put back in.One of the best ideas i have ever seen.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a redneck friend that only has 7 pairs of socks. I asked him why (I have like... 50...)

He said, "Why, 1 for monday, one for tuesday, 1 for wednesday..you get the idea"

OK, so, you have 7 pairs of underwear then too?

"Oh, heavens no, I have 12!"

12??? why so many????

"1 for January, 1 for February...."
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
Really, I want to check out those vacuum sealed clothes storage systems to see if it may be a viable way to store more clothes
Anyone have one?
We have tried those storage bags and found that the seals did not work well so that air entered and they did not stay as flat as we expected.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Gina,
My buddy, the Chicago garbage man, claims you only need 6 underwears, because every other month you turn them indside out.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #13

Actually, that's the way my wardrobe is even not fulltiming -- About enough underwear, socks and t-shirts for a week and then into the laundry.

I have carpet in the Scamp but put down some inexpensive mats from Wally, shake and sweep with an occasional vacuum cleaning at the car wash. A better way would be hard floors with a rug or two.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I don't fulltime but I would do the same as I currently do . I go on extended vacations and only wash clothes once a month when I run out of undies. I put underwear in zip locks, 7 in each and squeeze the air out. That's 4 bags. I put a weeks worth of socks in bags also, but only 3 bags. In the summer I wear sandles often, no need for lots of socks. These items and summer/winter jammies fit in one side of my rear overhead cabinet. In the other side I fold about 6/8 nice tops.

My closet has been converted to shelves. I have no problem putting a dozen or more folded tees in there. As well, as 6/8 shorts and 2/3 levis. Sweats top/bottom and flannel shirts go in a container under the bed as well as a good pair of slacks. I have a hook behind the screen door frame that holds my winter/summer jackets. They are bungeed to keep them out of my way when I sit on the couch.

Unless you have hygiene problem you can wear outer clothing a couple of times. Sometimes I might consider washing clothes at 3 weeks. You wonder what I do with a months worth of dirty clothes. A light weight cotton dirty clothes bag makes a get bolster on the bed.

I also have 2 pairs of tennies, 1 hiking boots and 1 dress up sandles and 2 everyday sandles. They are either under the bed or in the Jeep.

I know I could full time with the same configuration. If I tired of something I'd toss it and purchase new.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #15

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
For extended trips I have a large dowel with a couple of wire hooks on the ends which fit easily over two built-in hooks in the rear of the Honda. The full width of the vehicle can accommodate suits, the various pants and shirts, the odd tuxedo, ballroom gown, etc. without trashing the view out back when we are unhooked. The closet takes the rest, plus there are a number of hooks on the outside of the bathroom wall.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Whenever we are on vacation my uniform is tee shirt shorts and sandals.
I figure when I retire that will be my full time outfit.
If it gets to cold for that its time to move on.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We carry clothes for two weeks for two people. Usually I end up washing clothes once a week and am trying to get myself to downsize my carry on.

Wet towels. What do people do? We always have towels strung around in the back of the van after showers. Either over bicycles or hung from clotheslines I string around in the van.

I'm not real wild about micro fiber and have not yet gone to hand towels for showers. We do use thin old ones at least.

OK, so we need to spend more time in the desert where stuff will dry instead of rainy places.

Thanks Joy and Per for your ideas.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Wet towels. What do people do? We always have towels strung around in the back of the van after showers. Either over bicycles or hung from clotheslines I string around in the van.

I'm not real wild about micro fiber and have not yet gone to hand towels for showers. We do use thin old ones at least.

Nancy
Have you tried "micro fiber towels"? I assume you something like this. I've used this type of towel and they work pretty darn good. Now you've reminded me I might need to update my 1980 version.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:

Nancy
Have you tried micro fiber towels? They work really good. Now you've reminded me I just ordered two of these.
(Love REI dividends)

Thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Wet towels. What do people do? We always have towels strung around in the back of the van after showers.
I installed towel rails (with the rails made of bungie cords stretched between two wood blocks -- much kinder to a hip, elbow, or shoulder that bums into them) on the back of our "bathroom" door. I'm planning to replace our bathroom door with something that has a kind of "panel door" look, with a curvy central mirror (from IKEA) bracketed by punched aluminum panels that will increase ventilation and help the towels dry faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom_Door_Design.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	11740
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote