Convince GF to Fulltime - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Convince GF to Fulltime

Ok, pretty blunt subject there, but let me elaborate.

My GF and I are 37yrs old (no kids, one dog) and depending on what budget we use and the stock market, we will retire anywhere between 43 - 50 years old if we maintain our current salaries.

My girlfriend has a great passion for dogs and may be game for full-timing out of an RV of some sorts 6mo out of the year. The other 6mo would be at a stationary dwelling where she could foster pets (we wouldn't have a dog while on the road due to the type of things we want to experience...but maybe?).

So....I'd love to get into something like an RV CO-OP with a park model RV or tiny house (~500 sq ft) on the property. This would allow her to get her 6 months of fostering time in and a sense of "home" and I'd get 6mo out on the road. Otherwise we'd end up buying a house that we would need to pay to maintain while we're away.

Anyway, she's still not sure she could do 6mo in an RV as neither of us have ever been, though we've toured a fellow member's Casita 17', and have plans to see an Escape 5.0 and a 21ft Escape shortly. I've also attended a rally last year (great people!):
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=95db0f5def

She'd like to take a week long vacation this year in an RV to see what I'm so pumped up about. A couple of problems with that:

- No one rents out tow vehicles or egg campers. (If you know of a private party willing to do so, I'd be willing to insure the rig for full replacement cost, put down cash, etc., whatever it took)
- Class C rentals (thought I ultimately want an egg) are still pretty expensive for 9 days (a work week plus bookended weekends for the trip), is CruiseAmerica as cost effective as it gets?
- How would I expose her to all the wonderful parts of fulltime RVing in such a short period of time? I could stay in an RV resort for a few days, in a state campground for a few more, boondock in Walmart overnight, any other ideas? Also, we live in Stamford, CT. I'd love to get out of the "Green Tunnel" (a term us backpackers use for hiking in the Northeast with all the trees) and out to something different like the dessert, or Big Sky Country. But then that involves airfare and renting equipment to outfit the RV ($$$).

Anyway, lots of thoughts in my head (and stress) to maximize this one shot I have to expose her to RVing. We both live in apartments (mine is only 450 sq ft! ) in a densely populated area with sadly no ability to ease into full-timing by purchasing and egg camper and using it on wknds kind of thing. I ~really~ want this type of lifestyle so I'm fully open to suggestions, and as always I appreciate the feedback, you guys are always great. So how would you plan your trip? Thanks!
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
A woman ( Any Person for that matter) who has to be "Convinced" to do anything will NEVER be happy!

Enjoy your 6 months/year on the road SOLO!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
A woman ( Any Person for that matter) who has to be "Convinced" to do anything will NEVER be happy!

Agreed.

"A man convinced against his will,
is of the same opinion, still."

Old 05-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

Connecticut
You guys are probably right.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
After 46 years of marriage to the same woman , I can assure you that you will have a difficult time convincing her to do anything she does not truly want to do . Camping in a small trailer with a person who does not want to be there and is unhappy is a sure recipe for a disaster. I find that many times it is more pleasant to go solo . A one week camping trip is not a good indicator of how you or her will react to 6 months on the road .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you come to California this company rents out trailers set up to your site. You make the reservations and notify this company. The day your reservation becomes active they come out and set up the trailer and do all the hook-ups. Everything is clean tanks full and waste tanks empty. After your stay you take your belongings and leave and they remove the trailer and set it up for the next reservation. It is a very popular option out here in California for desert and beach camp sites. Maybe something you might like to get out of the green belt. It wont be a much smaller egg experience though.

Luv 2 Camp RV Trailer Rentals / Trailer Rentals Delivered to Campsite in San Diego, CA

For an egg experience in Los Angeles there is.
(scroll to the bottom of the page in the link)

The Happier Camper • Los Angeles Rentals
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Just my random thoughts on the issue mindo you, but I am wondering about discussing egg, or RV, full-timing and you do not "camp" by that method now. It may be a lot to ask her to visualize full-timing and it is not a frequent short term activity you both enjoy now. I would not even consider a full-timing retirement option until I had owned and used a rig a lot already. I am considering pretty much full-timing upon retirement, but I will have had my egg for at least eight years by then. I will have hundreds of days in camp in it and thousands of road miles pulling it by then. Should not be many surprises by then, except how much I like camping when I don't have to go back to work Monday!.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #8

Connecticut
I hear you about having experience in an egg prior to full timing in one (even if you spent time in a 16ft Casita to move to a 25ft Big Foot.), but I'm entirely committed after researching for 2 yrs now and seeing them in person. I come from a backpacking background and live in 450 sq ft my overall thought for myself about full timing is "no sweat." My SO obviously has questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Just my random thoughts on the issue mindo you, but I am wondering about discussing egg, or RV, full-timing and you do not "camp" by that method now. It may be a lot to ask her to visualize full-timing and it is not a frequent short term activity you both enjoy now. I would not even consider a full-timing retirement option until I had owned and used a rig a lot already. I am considering pretty much full-timing upon retirement, but I will have had my egg for at least eight years by then. I will have hundreds of days in camp in it and thousands of road miles pulling it by then. Should not be many surprises by then, except how much I like camping when I don't have to go back to work Monday!.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The advice here is pretty good.
You have a few years before retirement. Take advantage of that by first renting camping equipment and tent camping for a couple years. Go every chance you get, you'll soon know if your GF is going to embrace camping or shun it.
I'm very fortunate, I married my wife 36 years ago (second time around). We stated backpacking with the first years, from then on it was always a question of who was pushing to head for the hills.
We also learned a bit about going without planning. It seems to work much better for us.
About 10 years ago we sprung for a new 13' Scamp, now retired spend close to 6 months of the year living in it. It goes in spurts, winter around 90 days, summer and shoulder seasons around 40 days. The 90 days is at one time, the 40 days are 4 days to a couple weeks at time.
Good luck.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You might try to get her to move into your 450 sq.ft. apartment first.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Connecticut
Crossed my mind...the Co-op doesn't allow pets. Would have saved us a chunk of change each month, but oh well. Need to find an alternative living arrangement that allows pets some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You might try to get her to move into your 450 sq.ft. apartment first.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #12

Name: Livia
Trailer: 1979 Bigfoot 17'
Saskatchewan
This topic comes up all of the time on boating forums and some of the advice I have heard and liked is: 1) listen to what she is worried about when she says she isnt sure and find a way to solve those issues, 2) let her choose the vessel and you find a way to love it too (after all, she is following your dream) and 3) ultimately if you cant work it out you have to either choose a different dream together or dream seaparately.

Is she excited about a different vagabonding idea that maybe you could get behind or does she want a house full time?
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Full time???

I'm confused. You are talking about the possibility of living together in an RV of some sort and you don't even live in the same apartment??? Seems to me you need to work on the possibility of a commitment to each other before you start on how you live after you retire.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I take it that you are saying because you live in a highly populated area, you can't get a trailer. We live in a city and our trailer is stored quite a distance in a small town. You can store one way out somewhere, maybe toward where you want to use it most. You might check the secure storage fees. Gated, cameras, seems like good managers.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #15

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Words of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

This would end up as a true test of your relationship. You'll be married or separated by the end of this experience.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We met a couple today. They do not sleep together in their rig, the bed's too small. We're 73, I've known Ginny for almost 58 years. To me I still want to be in any space with her, just like when I was 16.

When we crawl into our Scamp bed, I'm not thinking this bed is too small. I know this doesn't fit everyone but it's how we view life. Heck when we were younger we could comfortably lie on a sofa.

This is from afar, as to convincing your girl friend, not a chance. There's a big difference between a girl friend and living in a small trailer. You need to be into the fun of a relationship, os a sharing of lives, not simply sharing space. You have not reached the sharing space stage.

The cost of a Cruise America is not too much of an investment for two people to try a life style. If you really wanted to be a part timer you wouldn't even stop and think about this small step.

Has she read this thread. Don't make it a secret, you plan to spend your life together at some point.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Hi Bryce, Something we saw a lot of out in Utah last fall were Escape Camper Vans 4 Berth Campervan rentals USA

Give you a chance to see what it's like being in a small camper, albeit a conversion van, and it could get you out of the east. The ones we saw were out of Vegas. Some of the campers were new, or darn close to it, others were older and looked kind of beat.

JUCY RV's is another we saw few of, more a conversion car.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #18

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
It sounds to me like you are asking your GF to take a huge step. Most people I know got into camping of some sort as a kid or young single. They have some skills and experience to take on the road fulltime.

For someone in your position I'd recommend renting some sort of camper and giving it (and the GF) a trial.. I know some people who immediately love camping and all that goes with it. I know others wo would like to like camping but in reality don't enjoy being inconvenienced in any way. They get aggravated by the smaller space - the limits to convenient storage - the challenge of cooking healthy, nutritious meals on a two burner stove - the cabin fever that can set in during a week of rain etc.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #19

Name: Gorky
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
It's possible if you can also keep an open mind to the idea of settling down, buying a house, not traveling much at all, and doing whatever she has in mind. I don't think there's any chance of convincing someone of something if you're not open to considering and being convinced of the opposing view yourself, otherwise it becomes a war of wills. War of wills gets nowhere, there's the easy out of walking away if the other person doesn't come along, especially if you're not married. But if your GF was pushing you to live on the road you might start appreciating life at home. And if you start looking for a house to settle down in your GF may start looking for a trailer to get away in.
Gorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #20

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
While I have no comment on the relationship part of this equation, you did ask about renting a rig for a trial. I'm thinking that would be an excellent idea.

I have heard and read of folks who rented from a smaller RV dealer, not one of the major chains who are tied to rules and policies from afar. Find a Mom and Pop dealer that has an inventory sitting on their lot. Talk with them about renting one of their used rigs for a week or two. Chances are it will be cheaper than the big rental companies and you won't have to endure the ridicule of driving around a huge billboard. Some of these smaller dealers would welcome the opportunity to make a few bucks off one of their trailers while waiting to sell it, plus they would be in a better position to get your business if you do decide to buy.

Just a route that seems to make perfect sense.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin