Full-time Vehicle Insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Name: Carla
Trailer: Casita Liberty Delux
Illinois
Full-time Vehicle Insurance

We have our domicle in SD and are beginning to research and obtain quotes for FULL TIME vehicle insurance for our truck and 2008 Casita. We also now have Good Sam now for roadside assistance.

We have a few quotes from Doughtery in Sioux Falls and MillerRV. We are trying to understand the "terminology" and make sure we get the best coverage since this is our full-time home, I must say we are lost. Need coverage not only for what we have put in the Casita but in our truck as well where we will carry solar, generator, etc. All the new mods have also exceeded what we paid for the unit. I believe theft is covered under comprehensive, or is that when a tree falls on you, etc. See how lost we are. Which is which? So a few questions I can think of at this point:

Any advice for what insurance company you would go with? We have a quote from Blue Sky, another GMAC, Allied, etc.

What exactly do we need to make sure is included in the policy and what is maybe not so important to have. A breakdown of coverage with deductibles someone has as a full-timer to use as a cheat sheet when requesting quotes would be even better, if someone would want to share.

Also, most quotes are saying they don't give replacement value. Can't you request a value in writing? I am reading don't do NADA, Kelly, etc. but to get prices sheets on comparable units online and request that for your replacement value and get in writing. Don't see that on our quotes...

Should we submit a item and cost sheet for everything we will be taking with us of value? This would be called "personal effects"?

Anything happen to someone on the road and found out later it wasn't covered that they wish they had made sure was included in their coverage?

Someone wrote make sure you ask specifically for full-time coverage and that it cost them an extra $95 a year....don't see that written out on any of the guotes we currently have. We asked for that, but don't see it specifically written out per say.

We sure appreciate any help...I keep looking at these quotes and can't make beans out of them...and this is our home and makes me a little worried....
cozygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm not totally sure about what you are asking, but here's a partial answer about total replacement coverage that seems to work for me.

I have had Allstate Ins for over 40 years and I have a "declared replacement value" or "stated value" rider (yes, it costs extra $$$) on my existing RV policy for our several rigs. For example, the declared value for the restored Hunter Compact-II and contents is currently $10,000.
That means that Allstate will pay out "Up To" $10,000 in the event of a total loss. That also means that I may have to show comparables that support my claim, not that they will just hand me $10,000.

As far as the truck, just get a rider added for additional "Personal property" contained in the vehicle and be sure to keep good records and pics of what you have. Keep this information stored somewhere on-line. If you suffer a total loss, you may also lose all your records.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We have Good Sam insurance.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

Name: Carla
Trailer: Casita Liberty Delux
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I'm not totally sure about what you are asking, but here's a partial answer about total replacement coverage that seems to work for me.

I have had Allstate Ins for over 40 years and I have a "declared replacement value" or "stated value" rider (yes, it costs extra $$$) on my existing RV policy for our several rigs. For example, the declared value for the restored Hunter Compact-II and contents is currently $10,000.
That means that Allstate will pay out "Up To" $10,000 in the event of a total loss. That also means that I may have to show comparables that support my claim, not that they will just hand me $10,000.

As far as the truck, just get a rider added for additional "Personal property" contained in the vehicle and be sure to keep good records and pics of what you have. Keep this information stored somewhere on-line. If you suffer a total loss, you may also lose all your records.
Thanks...that helps a lot in compiling my list of questions for coverage!
cozygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We don't buy insurance direct from any company anymore. We buy all our insurance through a broker, who can answer all our questions on what is or isn't covered. Our broker checks all our different insurance policies against other companies to pick the one for us that gives the full coverage we want for the best cost.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I found ads for two insurance companies in the latest issue of Escapees magazine. (Escapees is an RV organization with many full timing members). Both Miller Insurance Agency (Miller Insurance Agency) and PoliSeek (www.PoliSeekRV.com) claim to specialize in RV insurance geared towards full timers. I have no other information on these companies but you might want to check out their web sites. And check out Escapees too if you aren't already members.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Kathy: Am glad that you are hooked up with Escapees because you'll need to be on your toes when getting the full-timing insurance. Liability coverage is an important element. Should someone fall or be injured in regard to your property (even a sewer hose), you need the liability coverage like you have with homeowner's and if you have pets, that becomes something else to watch since dogs that don't bite, could bite. This isn't just about trailer and tow vehicle insurance. It was our experience that the full-timing insurance was a lot more than our regular insurance for the tow vehicle and trailer. We don't full-time now but have had Good Sam insurance for a long time so the discounts for us are pretty good and an incentive to stay with them.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote