Full Timing Ladies? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Back when I was traveling alone it was harder than today but there are some simple ways to not advertise that you are alone.

I would try to camp where I had a cell phone signal. I would put out two chairs even if I only used one. I always wore rings on my fingers and had several men tell me that because of that they thought I was "taken" and that they had left me alone, when I talked with them years later. With the kids, we always had an invisible "Dad". His name was SAM for Sarah, Aaron and Mom. If someone asked us to join them for a hike, dinner, or what ever that made me feel uncomfortable I would just say, I can't until I check with Sam. A pair of men's boots just outside the door looks like "he" will show up sometime this weekend.

But one of my biggest suggestions to any woman planning to travel alone is to take a self defense class. Not only does it give you suggestions on how to protect yourself but they teach you how to not be a victim. They teach how just body language or the way you talk or stand, can make the difference between whether they pick you to be the victim or go to someone else who is an easier target.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you think you might want to visit Canada, get rid of the pepper spray (It's illegal there) and get some of the same stuf in Bear Spray with marked container -- Do NOT say it is for defense against humans, because that's not legal, just against bears...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Here is my 2 cents

I traveled alone for a few years back in the early part of 2000-2003 in my Saturn Coup loaded to the brim. It was quite an experience, as soon as I got out there, I realized...oh crap, I'm a female out in the world all alone. I was very paranoid in the beginning, making as few stops as possible, not talking to ANYONE unless they were behind a counter, being very careful about my surroundings etc... I traveled from TX to WA and camped around for several months (tent camping). Luckily I followed my gut and had no problems. After a while, I got a dog, a good sized border collie/black lab mix she looked sorta like a black wolf, so that made a huge difference on how I felt about security since she would bark at anyone who approached me. If you can't get a dog, I would suggest at least having pepper spray on hand, it couldn't hurt IMO. Having the egg will definitely draw attention, as we are now finding out. We stopped for gas bringing ours home and got approached by 3 different people. So you will draw attention with one of these, but that may not be a bad thing. If you roll into a camping ground, you will likely get noticed by more than one camper, so you can use that to your advantage by befreinding the people who are not likely to become a threat, like couples who can be extra eyes watching out for you and the camp ground hosts. I would venture to say your choices for where you stop to camp will be closer in to people with a trailer, unlike tent camping where you can get off the beaten path out away from the crowds, so that can also be a plus, if you are not so far away that you wouldn't be able to recieve help if an incident occurred. I feel way more secure in the egg than I did in a tent so far. The reality is as you already mentioned, you know there are dangers out there, but you can't hold yourself back being afraid of what could happen... I say go for it, and don't worry so much about the bad, just be aware of your surroundings, and trust your gut!

Absolutely. That's where I am right now--there's nothing wrong with nerves, since they often keep us safe. But I'm definitely not going to let fears keep me home. That defeats the entire purpose. In fact, some things I do just because I'm afraid to do them. But as I learned the few times I was out this summer, each time it gets easier, you learn new things, you learn what to do and what not to do, and I've already noticed the nerves decreasing. Most of my nerves, I think, is just a simple lack of confidence, and that'll come in time.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
It's the Scamp Scamp Scamp that's the big problem, it draws the attention as others have said. You just can't sneak into a campground and be anonimous.

The word is cautious. I travel solo for months on end and on this last trip for slightly over 3 months I did think to myself that I need to be a little more cautious. I became a little too at ease and found myself letting my guard down. Of course I'm a outgoing person so talking to people can be something I need to tone down at times, but then your not going to learn much if you don't talk to people. Just be careful of how much information you devulge. I do use the term "We" in my speaking, so unless someone has really been watching my campsite they wouldn't know I'm alone. I also have an old wedding ring I wear which might be helpful. But I can pretty much guarantee that because of your cute little trailer people will most likely know who is in it no matter how many chairs, shoes etc that you put out. You'll find that men tend to be the ones that approach you more than women do, whether they are married or solo. My guard is generally up with the solo men.

I also scope out the campground and pick a site that has what I determine to be ordinary, safe appearing couples nearby or next door.

I'm not one for being afraid of much in this world but being aware of your surrounding and alert is the key.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I must sell my house before I can fulltime. Been trying for 2 years
However I have decided life is to short and getting shorter so I am gonna cut the price of my house and re-list it
so I can start living my life as me!

Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #26

Have you considered renting it?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #27

Yes I have however

1. Don't know if I want to hassle with renting and being out of state

2. Most of my $$ is tied up in my IRA and this house so I would need to take a loan to purchase
rig& truck

3. Rental millage is 10 mils higher than homestead here so I am not sure I could make much money
after I charge what I need for payment+taxes. although I admit I haven't looked into it what is the going rent for
a home like mine in this area

4. It is in prisitine condition now and I have concerns that it would not remain so after being a rental

However if I could find a trust worthy renter willing to sign a long contract...

Quote:
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #28

The Rottweiller would make a great companion for fulltiming!

Nancy B.
Nancy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Karen and others, I am right there with you. I am 37 and have solid plans to be a full timer by April 15th. I do have a dog, she is about 80lbs and a great camp dog, ride along dog, but I still have worries. One of the reasons I am doing this is to relearn how to depend on myself, remember how to use my brain again as I have had the same life for too many years now and it has all become so mundane! I used to be a fan of true crime books, so paranoia will be there, but I am getting much useful tips right here. I was so glad to find this forum and this thread in particular, I will review it more later, especially the links. Wow, I cannot believe how fortunate I AM to find this site!! Good luck to all you traveling ladies, maybe we can all meet up sometime, somewhere and swap stories!!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #30

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I don't think we are the landlord type. Our friend couldn't sell his new home, so he is renting it. The renters are smokers and have quit paying rent. He can't get them out. The sheriff can't do anything, so he has had to hire an attorney. He is upside down on the mortgage on the house and now has to pay to get the renters out. Then he will have to clean up after them. What a mess.

We want to also sell and go full time. Our house has dropped in value 40% in this area. We may not be able to break even. There are something like 27 new foreclosure homes our town this month and 230 foreclosures in our little county. OUCH! Homes are selling, but the buyers are buying the low hanging fruit. If we are willing to ask a very low price, say $200,000 less then it was appraised a year ago, my Realtor says it will sell.

Tough decisions.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #31

You might be able to have a Realtor handle the renting to screen/qualify the renters, plus then they might have some liability -- Consult with a lawyer would be prudent, of course.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Quote:
Staying in a state park or at a truck stop may or may not be
different, I don't have enough experience in that area to say.
DrifterDan
Hi, as a single older woman, I've stayed overnight and longer in state parks and national parks all over the western half of the US plus Texas and Colorado rest stops, elementary school parking lots, tiny museum parking lot, and city and county parks. I"ve had one scary experience where man and two huge dogs came over to my campsite in Oregon and harrassed my dog and me until rangers came along. The rest have been good to wonderful with people inviting me to dinner, helping back up trailer, unhitch, offering to go to store when my car was in the shop, and loving my big fluffy dog. Nothing bad has happened to me, my dog, or my belongings; no thefts, no major breakdowns, only one scary but not damaging incident in over 20,000 miles of camping using car, teardrop trailer, and now Hunter Compact II.

My dog has been great company and kids and adults love him - he is great with social interaction. I've seen so much and learned so much - don't let being single stop you my fellow females. Life's too short to spend it inside one house in one place; USA is full of history and great experiences.

Seeing the ruts through stone of the covered wagon pioneers, the sod houses, Yellowstone, the Black Hills, Missouri River, Lewis and Clark terminus at the Pacific, the wonderful Oregon Pacific beaches, California redwoods, Yosemite, so much, so little time.

Go explore!
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #33

Now that I have been out seven weeks, I can tell you that I am just not afraid. I have a 80 lb dog, a 38 special and my survivor instinct. I will know if someone is bad before they know I am more bad if need be. Don't get me wrong, I am not out sicking my dog on people and waiving my gun around, but I know what I have. The only thing that got my attention was a really big trucker guy that came and sat at the table next to me at a burger king and asked if I was traveling in "that little trailer". I answered "Yep, me and my big dog." He gave me advice on how to get through the road construction on my route and talked about how he couldn't wait to hit the road when he retired. I listened and ate mostly. Then headed out, kept an eye out for a big truck following me, nothing, went on my way. BUT, I was aware that HE had approached me out of the blue, so, all I can say here is, once again, stay alert, know you are alone and be vigilant, you shouldn't have any problems. I have met many great people, been invited to dinner, stopped and talked and listened and learned. I slowed down, finally, I just learned how to slow down. Sometimes my innate Californian in me wants to rush off in the middle of a conversation, then I remember..."Slow down, you are doing this to experience it!, not to rush through it." I have enjoyed it all very much thus far and am constantly planning more adventures!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I have met many great people, been invited to dinner, stopped and talked and listened and learned. I slowed down, finally, I just learned how to slow down. Sometimes my innate Californian in me wants to rush off in the middle of a conversation, then I remember..."Slow down, you are doing this to experience it!, not to rush through it." I have enjoyed it all very much thus far and am constantly planning more adventures!
Monica, When we had the resort I saw so many people who hadn't learned that lesson. Glad your a quick learner. Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Monica, When we had the resort I saw so many people who hadn't learned that lesson. Glad your a quick learner. Enjoy!
Hey, I am still in the learning phase...LOL, I just sometimes, hopefully more times than not, catch myself and slow down to listen, maybe learn, maybe just listen...it's all worth while! Somebody else's joy, I have learned, can make their day if they just get to tell you about it!

Example...I was at a country store, small town (200 people) just outside the Village Creek State Park. The elderly woman behind the counter wanted to tell me the story about her 15 yr old grand daughter's softball championships. Most important to the small town folks there, but...um, really wasn't interesting to me, until I stopped and really looked at the pride in her face. It took 15 minutes to hear her softball story in regards to her grand daughter...hell, you know, I guess I could not have spent that 15 minutes any better than to watch her light up as she explained pitch by pitch how her grand daughter ended up in second place in the championships. Sometimes it's not what people are saying, but how much it means to them. I am glad I stopped and HEARD her. She was a proud grandma! I am fortunate for hearing that story, one I will never forget...even if it seemed insignificant in the beginning...it meant something to somebody and to watch it wind up into a near championship on her face, was just so worth it..I am smiling now thinking of it! Just the simple things...stop, take your time, listen, learn and be blessed by the wonders of those around you! That's all I have to say I guess...
Old 05-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're right Monica! There's an old saying, if you're always talking you can't be listening. Our lives can be enriched by listening to other people's stories. Whether it's our own elderly family members or total strangers. Not only did this woman make your day... you probably made hers as well because you took that 15 minutes to listen to her story. And, you made a memory!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #37

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
You all are so right. Few years back, stopped on side of a western Montana gravel road in the late dark after giving up on finding the campground. Woke up and was next to a clear stream with waterfalls and lovely dark green grass to the edge of the stream and a picnic area with outhouse AND a nice couple who came over to say hi. I made coffee and we talked and some coincidences popped up such as her full name was my married full name. They were high school sweethearts who'd married others but now in their 50's were together and so happy. They and the place are a great memory. Turns out that area is where part of Dances with Wolves was filmed due to the beauty of the place. Would never have known about it if hadn't wanted to avoid commercial RV parks and be willing to drive up a mountain road in the dark.

Met another similar couple who showed me around their homemade trailer and we kept running into each other at rest stops across the western half of U.S. Looking for their red trailer made parking lots almost fun. I was so pleasantly surprised at all the friendly people I met and talked with, drank a glass of wine or cup of coffee with, or told them what kind of dog Rug is and listened to their stories of their favorite pets or places on their travels.

Yes, I have the dog and have a 38. Actually forgot about the gun until got home and found it between the seats. Never any need to remember it.

An open mind, a willingness to ask questions of others and to listen to their responses, and traveling off the Interstates will add immeasurably to our travels. Life's too short to whine and to listen to those who only complain about wherever they are. My dogs and I aren't getting any younger; trying to make the best of our time together.
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #38

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Exclamation

Remember God gave us two ears, two eyes and only one mouth. If used in proper proportion, We will benefit greatly We will come away from any location with more than when we arrived and we are in control of how much information we expose to others. Safe traveling, and many glorious sunrises.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #39

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Monica,

That slowing down and listening skill is a good one to follow and too seldom practiced. Actual conversations with others can allow us to touch one another's mind and soul. My DW used to say "The most important person in the world is the one you're talking to." She was very wise.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #40

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
I full timed by myself in Texas while working during tax season. I was surprised at the attitudes I got from many people who thought something was wrong with me for being there without a man. It got tiring after a while. But there were others who made up for it by including me in fun outings like dinner or sightseeing. I wasn't ever afraid because I travel with a small dog, who isn't much of a deterrent but has a loud bark. People didn't mess with me. Although I still bristle whenever someone asks me, "Oh, are you here by yourself?" or "Where's your husband?" I also spend quite of bit of time by myself in Montana and I really hate when people ask me these questions, because I don't like to answer honestly without giving too much away. I don't like answering that yes, I'm by myself and my husband is elsewhere , but I don't want to seem rude either. I usually try to change the subject and ask something about the person doing the questioning. I hate when people try to pin down the fact that I'm by myself because it makes me feel uneasy.
L Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming