Full Timing Ladies? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #81

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Great ... we'll leave the (moon)light on for ya! Happy trails - L 'n D
Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #82

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Anne, I am here in Q for the winter working. There is also a Fiberglass rally in February out on BLM land

Check it out

You will find there are various types of "Fulltiming" I am a Workamper.. meaning I travel around from job to job with the seasons, and I actually park and LIVE in my rig rather than travel around for the purpose of camping. Its a very different dynamic.

No, I am not a homeless little waif wandering aimlessly, I have jobs lined up through 2012 and am actually turning down offers. The money isn't great, but the living is inexpensive and I am getting to do things I never thought I would do, and seeing spots I probably would not have set as destinations to go to on my own time, but am pleasantly surprised to be in and make a living at.

My first gig was this summer in the white mnts of Arizona and boy, was I ever put in my place when I saw it. The perception that Arizona is all dust and desert was what I went over with and I found lush forests and MANY camping, hiking and other green and mountain type activities that I happily indulged in on my time off.

My preference for work is managing campgrounds, however, in the winter, that is not always possible, so this gig here is cleaning and decorating RVs (Big stickies) for sale (Lots of work in Q starting about now if you want!) and taking care of the offices. I never envisioned myself as a cleaning woman, I came from an engineering career, but the work is easy and casual, and it pays the bills. Decorating RVs is not exactly horrible work either. :-P

I live on private property with full hook ups at a minimal rent, and altho I am constantly adjusting the set up, I have a workable set up for me, the dogs and it can be easily duplicated for all weather conditions when I move on to my next gig in Wisconsin. My "home" dynamic will not change much, just the location. This is important, especially with K9s.. as you know, they like routine and constancy.

Anyway, where was I going with all that?

1. Its not hard, it's just different.
2. I personally believe that "Vagabonding" without structure can be tiring and stressful. Keep your set up as consistent as possible, this allows you to be aware much easier. Aware of your sorroundings and of your rigs systems.
3. There is a compromise sometimes when doing it this way. I will *visit* the Quartzsite gathering, but not be bringing my trailer. It would be a major endeavor to pull out for just a couple days.

I am fairly new to this, only since March of this year, and everyday I still have to squelch back the mindset of going back to the big job, the house and routine. "Oh yeah, I don't do that anymore". For now, it's sort of like being on permanent vacation.. I call it my being able to retire early.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #83

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Gina, this is a little off the subject, but when are you planning to be in Wisconsin? Some of us in this area might want a little get together to meet you as we kinda feel we know ya from being on this fiberglass board. Please keep it in mind to let us know when you are up this way.
Now back to the origional topic :-)

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #84

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Karalyn, my start date is May 1 but I will no doubt be there a couple weeks early.

One of the beauties of the fulltiming lifestyle AND working is that you get a couple vacations a year... traveling to the next job. I have never been farther east than Colorado Springs, Co, and I want to take the opportunity to see that part of the country a bit before I settle in.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #85

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 1991 Nissan Pickup
Gina nice to get an update on what you have been up to
and that things are going good for you with your fulltiming
life style. But you do seem to be getting further away from
nice rainy Oregon.
Duane in rainy Dunes City
Duane Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #86

Name: Sue
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe with 2005 Chevy Express tow vehicle
Georgia
... saw a Marine/Sport Horn bought it . . . .Well no bears that trip but I decided to leave it in the trailer after hitting the button on accident ( wow, it's screaching) and thought hmmmmmm . . .

Robin,
I smiled when I read about the Sport Horn. I just received one as a gift from a friend who knows I'll be fulltiming soon. I wrote about it in my blog, rvsueandcrew.wordpress.com (Sorry about the shameful plug) .... I think it's a great item to have along. If they weren't quite as big, women could carry one in a purse or coat pocket.

rvsue
rvsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #87

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsue View Post
If they weren't quite as big, women could carry one in a purse or coat pocket. rvsue
Hey Sue, they do make small ones. I have had one in my Scamp for years. I think I purchased it at WalMart but I've seen them elsewhere.

It's a "Saftey Sport Air Horn"...white with read writing. I'd say it's about 3 1/2 inches long by an inch in diameter. About the size of those little travel hair sprays, if you know what I mean.

I also have one in my purse.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #88

Name: Sue
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe with 2005 Chevy Express tow vehicle
Georgia
Thanks, Joy. I obviously had no idea.
rvsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #89

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I haven't seen a small one in our Wallie world but it's worth looking for.

I did come across a small one a few weeks ago, I can't remember what I went into the dollar store for, but as I stood at the check out with my one item behind a lady who was buy out the Dollar store I saw them hanging there in the point of purchase area. I bought it. Small, 2 and a half inches high , but certainly not as loud as my big one. But certainly works................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #90

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I haven't read up on all the posts on this thread, but I have been full timing now for two and a half years. I was paranoid at first, actually, really bad. I have had one time that I pulled into a campground after dark, nobody else was there and it gave me the heebeegeebees...so I left. Other than that, I have not yet felt unsafe. I have an 80lb dog also. Still, I think safety is important, but this lifestyle for a single female is not as bad as one would think. IMO of course, maybe I have just been lucky...
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #91

Trailer: Aliner
Monica, it seems almost unbelievable that it has been 2-1/2 years already! So glad to get an update, and glad you are still fulltiming!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #92

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 1974 ECO ~ Just purchased!
California
I'm just about to start full-timing! I bought my first camper (1974 ECO) and I've had some of the same natural worry.

Although I've had years of solo traveling experience (I've lived in many different countries by myself) I still worry more when I'm in the US. Maybe it's awareness or my ability to better catch on to the creepy vibes of others.

I'm 27 and without a dog. I'd love to have one, but the point of me fulltiming it is to be free and save money. If I have a dog, I can't park my Eco and fly to Europe on a break from work. I'm saving money to buy land, so I'll get a dog when I make that happen.

My dad is pretty serious about me getting a gun. I don't think I will. Bear spray, some sort of alarm, and mace sufficient. Awareness is the key ingredient!

Would love to meet up with other solo camping ladies! I'm usually in the Southern California area. Anyone on here around?
AuntHoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #93

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Women Camping Alone And Camping Safety
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #94

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntHoodoo View Post
I'm just about to start full-timing! I bought my first camper (1974 ECO) and I've had some of the same natural worry.

Although I've had years of solo traveling experience (I've lived in many different countries by myself) I still worry more when I'm in the US. Maybe it's awareness or my ability to better catch on to the creepy vibes of others.

I'm 27 and without a dog. I'd love to have one, but the point of me fulltiming it is to be free and save money. If I have a dog, I can't park my Eco and fly to Europe on a break from work. I'm saving money to buy land, so I'll get a dog when I make that happen.

My dad is pretty serious about me getting a gun. I don't think I will. Bear spray, some sort of alarm, and mace sufficient. Awareness is the key ingredient!

Would love to meet up with other solo camping ladies! I'm usually in the Southern California area. Anyone on here around?
What part of So Cal are you? I will be heading that way soon.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #95

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 1974 ECO ~ Just purchased!
California
Hey Monica! I'm parked in Riverside!
AuntHoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #96

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntHoodoo View Post

Best of luck in your travels! Here's a bit of perspective from someone who has traveled many thousands of miles over decades. I spent 3 months driving over 15,000 miles once and just living out of my Honda. I spend all my summers on the move now. One reason you may feel more noticed in the US is that solo female travelers are somewhat a rarity. Whenever I see a woman traveling alone it is a bit intriguing because it speaks to confidence, courage and other character traiits that I admire. You may get approached more out of curiousity than anything. Even as a man, I get approached alot from people curious about why I'm traveling alone. Just being alone makes you more approachable, and that has led to some wonderful conversations over the years. Yeah, I've met some creepy people too. Awareness is very good, but paranoia will limit your experiences. Life itself is a risk. Nothing much scares me, but nothing much escapes my attention either. That has kept me out of trouble in some circumstances. Traveling as a tourist is different than traveling as a "traveler". Travelers find themselves in different circumstances, and intuition becomes a primary survival skill. Listen to yours.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #97

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is a great thread. I am trying to work up the courage to full-time solo. I have spent the last 25 years caring for our son with Down syndrome and we have just found an excellent program a few hours north of us. I, of course, worked at a variety of jobs which will come in handy - no great paying ones but a job is a job. So, I'm trying to close up shop on this old life and have the dream I have wanted for years. I just think with the egg that it is doable. Ah, to be independent at last. Loved the photos I came across. Every time I see an RV parked at Wal-Mart or going down the road, I just want to follow! I want "no boundaries" and I have served my time within the boundaries set by others so.................more research!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #98

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Since you're traveling solo, I think just about any of the trailers will meet your needs. You certainly deserve the oportunity to freely travel the country.

Though we've done much in our pre RVing lives, RVing is right up there with the very best of our lives. I wish you well in your search and all blessings to you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #99

Trailer: Aliner
Cathy, I am SO glad that you found a good place to help care for your son. I have a nephew in similar circumstances, and he is thriving under excellent care where he is now living.

I am also so glad that you have open horizons now. It sounds like it's finally your time to fly.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #100

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Cathy, I am SO glad that you found a good place to help care for your son. I have a nephew in similar circumstances, and he is thriving under excellent care where he is now living.

I am also so glad that you have open horizons now. It sounds like it's finally your time to fly.
Unfortunately, the State of Kansas uses contractors and they have the ability to block anyone from entering any of the programs in the state by having an admissions procedure where they pick those that require the least amount of services. Unfortunately, my son needs a level of supervision that exceeds their monetary comfort level. So, I am regrouping and focusing right now and making the government officials explain and justify the system that has been created. But, we have met many an obstacle and we'll consider this a "speed bump". My son can sit for hours and look at photos of RVs on the internet and he loves nature so................
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming