Fulltimers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Fulltimers

What size are you fulltimimg in? Was it hard to start fulltime? I plan on fulltiming in five years, so please let me know your thoughts.
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I am not a full timer... not even close. However, it might be helpful to give a little info on your status: single, married, pets, etc.

People full-time in everything from a 13 foot Scamp to a Prevost bus... it all depends on what you expect out of your "home."
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #3

North Dakota
Registry
Married, 50s, no pets, retired military/red cross, two bikes. Our plan is to maintain our lake cabin and be on the road Fall, Winter, and Summer. My wife may have concerns over the size, so any insight into the life of a fulltimer is very helpful. I know it is a ways out, be are planners.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezha View Post
Married, 50s, no pets, retired military/red cross, two bikes. Our plan is to maintain our lake cabin and be on the road Fall, Winter, and Summer. My wife may have concerns over the size, so any insight into the life of a fulltimer is very helpful. I know it is a ways out, be are planners.
I'd recommend getting a gently used trailer that you *THINK* might be the right size/style, and going on extended trips with it before deciding on *the one*. Start smaller than you think you might need.

Where do you plan to be in summer and/or winter? These preferences will dictate the type of insulation and amenities your trailer will have.

Fulltimers vary from those who require all the amenities of home (laundry appliances, hair dryers, bathtubs, full kitchens, slide-outs, and who only visit the poshest luxury parks) to those who would rather have more flexibility and location access (smaller travel trailers or Class B/ small Class C RVs). I fall into the technogeek, quasi-minimalist category, and I like the links you will find on Technomadia.com, for example.

Not that I'm a full-timer, yet. I do think I will be within the next 4 years.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Oh, yeah...the link I mentioned above features a couple living in an Oliver, which is very similar in size/layout to a Casita 17'. They have links to other full-time couples in the same rig or style you're pulling. With dogs!

It's the size/layout I'd prefer for my own "dream" full-time trailer, unless I go with a class B van/cargo trailer...which would actually reduce the living space.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

North Dakota
Registry
Thanks, I am checking out the link!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Tom, Well all I can say is, having "wintered" in a 35 ft Class A and though I love our 17 ft Casita. I don't think (I) could full time in the Casita.

Now that being said, Never say Never! NEVER! But I have a tough time finding room for a week or 2 week trip. I can't imagine fulltiming in 17ft. But then of course I am not a minimalist! So that may explain why it probably wouldn't work for me...... I like clean clothes, makeup, cute shoes, jewelry etc. They take up room. LOL..........

As far as the full timing lifestyle. It's not for everyone, some people don't care for it. Even after trying it. Which is fine. The one's who love it, LOVE IT!
There are many books, web-sites etc dedicated to full time rv-ing. But I would suggest getting out there and experiencing/dabbling in it with extended trips such as Michele suggested. You will meet tons of people experiencing it first hand, in my opinion that is the best example/learning tool you can have.

How long have you been camping? If I remember correctly you just purchased a trailer? Your wife will know after a few extended trips if a glass egg is large enough for her to full time in.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am not so sure it has anything to do with the actual published size/length of the rig, but rather the floorplan and how the space is used. This, of course, depends on your needs and tastes.

I am currently in a 15 foot stick built. It has a front L shaped kitchen. To me, this makes all the difference in the world. I have a large un interrupted room with plenty of floor space for my 2 dogs to play and meander in. Not only are they more comfortable, so am I. No more aisle-ways, no more feeling encroachment on either side when walking in the rig, and no more tripping on things/animals in the way.

I was in a 31 foot motorhome prior, and it was like living in a hallway. Nowhere in it was there a floorspace wider than 2 feet, except for the very small living room.. which also contained a cockpit.

I LOVED my 17 foot Burro. It had all I needed and was fixed perfectly for MY needs, however, it was a dud as a dog mobile, so I let it go.

So, oddly, I am currently in the smallest of the 3, with much less as far as ammenities are concerned, but I am much more comfortable. This feels like a little cabin, not a trailer.

That said, the first chance I have at a bigfoot 17 with side gaucho...this one is out the door. They have the same basic concept.. a large open floorspace and well place "Furniture".
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
As far as it being hard to start fulltiming, it depends on how attached you are to your "stuff". There is no room, figuratively and literally, for all the trappings of a stix and brix world. You can have nice toys (I do) but you have to think twice about purchases and you need to "Let it go". You need to think about how whatever you are looking to buy will fit physically and work wise in your rig.

After you start fulltiming, you learn quickly that you are not your "things".. without them in the way, you really start to know yourself and those around you better.

This, I think, is the biggest benefit of fulltiming.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I can relate to what you say about "open" space, Gina. I have thought about a 16-footer, a time or two, but compared to my 13-er, they feel more "hallway-ish" to me. Not that a 13-er is super roomy or anything, but I like how there is an open/square "middle" with both ends able to sort of gather 'round it.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
In our travels we ran across a mid-50's couple full-timing in a Airstream bubble-top Ford van conversion. The had a larger rig that apparently was parked in a large steel building in northern Michigan, as I remember them saying, but chose to use the smaller rig for around nine months of the year because of it's ability to get into remote out-of-the-way places. This also reduced their camping costs as well as their travel costs.

They towed a small cargo trailer to carry bikes, tools, canned & dried food, etc. Inside they had made a few mods, but nothing extensive. The unit had a tiny shower, full cooking facilities and comfortable seating along the side opposite the door.

We noticed they were very well organized, with everything pretty much stowed and in its place. They were under a fairly strict budget, being retired via having sold their home, but not receiving a pension yet. The husband was an accomplished mechanic and had done some fairly complex repairs on the road. The wife was also an excellent cook so were kindred souls to my wife and I.

They kept detailed records on a laptop computer of all expenses, mileage traveled, service done and camping spots. His camping spot data ran into several thousand and was keyed to a mapping program. Due to their rig size and financial situation, they concentrated on in-expensive or free camping. At the time we met them they were camped in a city park in Victoria, TX waiting for another couple with a similar rig to arrive that they often traveled with.

They invited us to also join them, but we were due in s. CA for New Years at our son's home. Our Scamp pulled with our diesel Jimmy would have been very compatible in size, convenience and all. So this couple were proof, this being their sixth year in this rig, that with the right mind set and expectations a small rig can be a happy home!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Fulltiming choices

Hi Tezha! Good advice here about 'testing the waters' with a used Egg and visiting with other Egg-lovers before making a final decision.

Here is our experience ... our first Egg was a 13ft Scamp, no bells or whistles, just the basic trailer. We lived and traveled with that one for nearly 4 years and never looked back. I told people (and still do about our 16ft) "it's a 5-room rig, just not all at the same time." Essentially it's like a big suitcase ... you live 'out' of it. You're either hiking, swimming, museum-hopping or otherwise having fun outside the trailer. We towed that one with a minivan which served as our rolling 'storage unit' for seasonal clothing, chairs, tools, etc.

In February, we upgraded to a 16ft. Scamp with side bath. We loved every minute and every mile in the "little" trailer, but we knew we'd need indoor plumbing at some point down the road and this rig presented itself at just the right time. Having a bath has expanded our boon-docking and other camping options beyond our expectations. Can you tell we LOVE our Egg?

So - take the time to discover what feels right for the way you will be living and traveling. Whatever you choose, you won't regret becoming a gypsy Take care, L 'n D
Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #13

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I think it's important to have a base of operation, your own place to go "home" to. And then there's what can you live with and without at the moment as far as material goods and conveniences. My husband keeps trying to pick out a spot for the gun rack in the 5th wheel, not going to happen.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #14

North Dakota
Registry
I will have a few years of Exp, before we decided to stay with the 16" or move to a larger size. Thanks for the input, I have already started to minimize my life!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I am not full timing, but got a 21 ft Amerilite and sold the 16 ft Casita. Hubby thinks even camping in a 16 ft camper is way to crowded for him. Well, after 3 trips within the state, I am convinced we can not tow that big of a camper and still have money to camp after filling the SUV with gas. At 7 MPG on gas hauling a 21 ft regular sticky I can not afford to haul my Amerilite any distance. I wanted in the worst way to head south this winter (first yr not working) but it won't be happening in the bigger rig that has room for us, the dogs and puppies.
I am buying a 16 ft Scamp this week so that I can travel by myself if need be. Hubby refuses to use the 16 ft to camp in. It will be me and the dogs in the crowded little camper, but at least I will not be spending all my money on gas to get somewhere.
MY POINT IS: If you can afford to pull a bigger camper your wife will most likely want one for full timing (I sure would!). But If you can not afford it, make do with what you can, and have fun. I want to see some of the good ole USA no matter how I have to do it. Fiberglass seems to be the cheapest way to go.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #16

Name: Carmella
Alberta
I just started back in August...I am in a 13 foot Trillium and loving it. I am solo so there is plenty of room for me and then some. The feeling of freedom can't be beat. I have so far gone from Alberta to Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, California and next may hit Arizona. It's been amazing wandering up and down Hwy 1 along the coast.
Carmella in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Full-timing?

I'm not "full-timing", as in having no permanent address, but I've been travelling in my 13 foot Boler since mid-July, and have plenty of room. Have gone from Ottawa, Canada to Albuquerque, and am now on my way home, hoping to arrive before the snow flies.
The only thing I lack is a generator; and satellite radio - ah well, next year.
My 4 cylinder Mazda Tribute pulls it pretty well, but I wouldn't go over the Rockies with it - going up all those hills in second gear might irritate the parade behind me. but, I bought the car before I bought the trailer; would be much better off with a 6 cylinder - then I could go anywhere!
And, thanks to all on this forum who helped me when I was on the road and didn't know what to do!!
Next year, maybe I'll do six months, rather than three. We'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella in Canada View Post
I just started back in August...I am in a 13 foot Trillium and loving it. I am solo so there is plenty of room for me and then some. The feeling of freedom can't be beat. I have so far gone from Alberta to Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, California and next may hit Arizona. It's been amazing wandering up and down Hwy 1 along the coast.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #18

North Dakota
Registry
This weekend we looked at some of the 30' plus 5th wheels at the campground and my wife comment that they were too large. I dodged a bullet there. We will continue to test the water in our 16'. I do like the 5th wheel setup, so maybe the 19' Scamp in the future. I love my Scamp and the whole fiberglass egg community!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #19

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
The 5th wheel Scamps are nice. We went from a 13' to the fifth wheel and pull with a Toyota Tundra. It actually pulls better then our 13'. I have to remember it's behind me.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #20

North Dakota
Registry
Is the shower in the 5th wheel too small?

Tags
fulltiming