fulltiming budgets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Hi all, I'm currently a full time teacher with plans to be a full time Scamper. I can make $600 per month tutoring on line or even substitute teaching (if I was desperate). There are other money making options as well, but that isn't really the intent of this post. Could I realistically live on $600? I have no debts or need for health insurance.

What does it take you fulltimers to live on per month? What are your major expenses? What unknown expenses seem to crop up every month?

Thanks,

Al
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Like other parts of life, it depends more on your needs and what you are willing to tolerate. For example, if you are willing to wander from WalMart to WalMart, your CG $ will be zero, but your fuel will be high. Conversely, if you insist on five-star RV parks with full hookups, your CG $ will be high.

The right schools might find you a place to camp and double as night watchman. If you are going to tutor on line, you will need internet access and perhaps a cell phone.

Camp hosting will save a bunch, but you will be tied down and most places only have seasonal stuf.

I met a guy fulltiming on a bicycle in Nevada, camping in the desert. Fuel and camp fees were zero.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Like other parts of life, it depends more on your needs and what you are willing to tolerate. For example, if you are willing to wander from WalMart to WalMart, your CG $ will be zero, but your fuel will be high. Conversely, if you insist on five-star RV parks with full hookups, your CG $ will be high.

The right schools might find you a place to camp and double as night watchman. If you are going to tutor on line, you will need internet access and perhaps a cell phone.

Camp hosting will save a bunch, but you will be tied down and most places only have seasonal stuf.

I met a guy fulltiming on a bicycle in Nevada, camping in the desert. Fuel and camp fees were zero.

Of course you are correct on all counts. I guess I'm looking to hear what others experiences are in full timing. Especially your experiences since we are both minimalists and I'll be using the same sort of trailer.

I'll probably split my time between boondocking in National Forests during the summer and living in parks the rest of the year. I'd like to stay between New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, most of the year, staying at each park for one month to save on fuel and take advantage of low monthly rates. The first year I plan to take a much needed break, do some writing, and examine what life is all about. Don't plan on working the initial year (maybe volunteering or canoe guiding for fun)
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Just thinking out loud.

It seems like $600 per month would be very tight. As a point of reference here are some numbers.
<blockquote>Monthly fees for an RV park at $11/day = $330 ±
Food at $13.50 per day (my costs - breakfast, lunch, dinner) = $405 ±
Mileage at 12,000 per year = 1,000 per month @ $.50 per mile (gas, oil, insurance, etc.) = $500 ±
That is $1,235 and does not include Clothes, computer, toll-roads, oil changes, etc. etc.
</blockquote>
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Just thinking out loud.

It seems like $600 per month would be very tight. As a point of reference here are some numbers.
<blockquote>Monthly fees for an RV park at $11/day = $330 ±
Food at $13.50 per day (my costs - breakfast, lunch, dinner) = $405 ±
Mileage at 12,000 per year = 1,000 per month @ $.50 per mile (gas, oil, insurance, etc.) = $500 ±
That is $1,235 and does not include Clothes, computer, toll-roads, oil changes, etc. etc.
Thanks Mike, $600 does seem low. Of course I'd cut the food and mileage in half easily, but the ect's can pile up. </blockquote>
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
What does it take you fulltimers to live on per month? What are your major expenses? What unknown expenses seem to crop up every month?
I remembered an earlier discussion... that had links that led to links... that I followed and did quite a bit of reading. I will save a lot of intermediate searching; this talks some about budgeting and trying to live really cheaply:

Cheap RV Living
Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Consider Medical Insurance
Medicare permiums run about $400 per month (part B hospital, F supplemental, D persciptions) plus additional that is NOT paid for by Medicare or the co-pay.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm currently a full time teacher...
I have no debts or need for health insurance.
Do you have something else that fills that need?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
or need for health insurance.

Thanks,

Al
Health insurance is invaluable. You can get sick or be in a accident real fast.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
I remembered an earlier discussion... that had links that led to links... that I followed and did quite a bit of reading. I will save a lot of intermediate searching; this talks some about budgeting and trying to live really cheaply:

Cheap RV Living
Yeah, That is an excellent site. This guy knows how to live cheaply. Unlike him, I might not boondock fulltime, but who knows?

Appreciate the link, it's good to know the experiences of others in order to tie them into my own plan.

As far as medical insurance goes? I've had it for years, never helped me at all if fact: Doctors charged me more per visit then If I claimed no insurance. It is a scam.

But if stuff really hits the fan I'd wish I had it... I'm willing to take that chance...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #11

Medical insurance isn't for piddling stuf like doctor visits; it's for big stuf like cancer -- A tumor on my tongue wound up costing more than $45K, with the surgery and radiation... I'm waaay ahead of my historical insurance costs.

Dunno how old you are, but if you are 62 or have disabilities, you may qualify for one of the Federal passes that will generally get you a 50% discount at Natl Park/Forest campgrounds. BTW, many of the campgrounds and the forests have stay limits, so that's got to be researched.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Medical insurance isn't for piddling stuf like doctor visits; it's for big stuf like cancer -- A tumor on my tongue wound up costing more than $45K, with the surgery and radiation... I'm waaay ahead of my historical insurance costs.

Dunno how old you are, but if you are 62 or have disabilities, you may qualify for one of the Federal passes that will generally get you a 50% discount at Natl Park/Forest campgrounds. BTW, many of the campgrounds and the forests have stay limits, so that's got to be researched.

Maybe I can get some less expensive catastrophic insurance plan for the big things.

No not old enough to qualify for the discount. The National Forest up here in Utah charge nothing for boondocking but limit you to 14 days stay limits. Most boondockers drive 10 miles up the road then camp for another 14 days. BLM land is even more generous.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #13

It varies from place to place - Here's a sign from San Juan NF:

Click image for larger version

Name:	COSJNF_1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	11464
in CO.

Note that those are AIR miles, not road miles, so it is difficult to find another place in the SJNF. Similar restrictions are also found in the other nearby NF and BLM, however, with planning and avoiding weekend movement, it is possible to move between the three without problem.

I noticed that Colorado was particularly restrictive compared to some places, so there is likely some state influence going on. For example, the Natl Rec Area at Lake Meade NV allows 60 or 90 days in one year in the entire rec area, (but the year starts when you leave, so you can't spend the same three months every year...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #14

Registry
I believe that all restrictions of this kind are National Forest Federal Regulations. Many NFS regulations are written in such a manner that the individual Forest Supervisor can invoke the regulations or not as he/she sees fit. These are part of the same regulations that allow for National Forest closure when there's a fire. Most of these types of regulations are not invoked unless there's a perceived need.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
at age 43, I had a lung removed.. it ain't just "Seniors" that need it.

Just the hospital stay alone, without follow ups or surgeons fees was... 1/2 million. Fortunately, I was insured and my out of pocket thus far has been less than 1000 even after 5 years of diagnostics, expensive scans and tests and follow ups.

A year ago, my company changed insurers. I was given a choice of Kaiser or another provider. The "other" provider had a million dollar lifetime cap. I asked the rep how much chemo would take up should I recur. She hung her head low and mumbled "All of it".

Anything can happen at any time. The insurance is the biggest hold back for me going full time right now. I am grandfathered in and covered.. if I leave my current plan, it will be absolutely impossible to be insured privately for any recurrences. The 5 year cure is medically valid, unfortunately, insurance can deny covering your condition for recurrances anyway when buying privately. (They can't in an HMO.. but that requires you are in a group, usually meaning a "Job".)

Bottom line, I am screwed. When I go fulltime, I will have to be under a government programmed insurer in a state risk pool, at a very high premium. Get the insurance now and don't worry about the pennies. It's the mass dollars you should be very scared of.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #16

Quote:
at age 43, I had a lung removed.. it ain't just "Seniors" that need it.

Just the hospital stay alone, without follow ups or surgeons fees was... 1/2 million. Fortunately, I was insured and my out of pocket thus far has been less than 1000 even after 5 years of diagnostics, expensive scans and tests and follow ups.

A year ago, my company changed insurers. I was given a choice of Kaiser or another provider. The "other" provider had a million dollar lifetime cap. I asked the rep how much chemo would take up should I recur. She hung her head low and mumbled "All of it".

Anything can happen at any time. The insurance is the biggest hold back for me going full time right now. I am grandfathered in and covered.. if I leave my current plan, it will be absolutely impossible to be insured privately for any recurrences. The 5 year cure is medically valid, unfortunately, insurance can deny covering your condition for recurrances anyway when buying privately. (They can't in an HMO.. but that requires you are in a group, usually meaning a "Job".)

Bottom line, I am screwed. When I go fulltime, I will have to be under a government programmed insurer in a state risk pool, at a very high premium. Get the insurance now and don't worry about the pennies. It's the mass dollars you should be very scared of.

Thanks for the good advice Gina, I hope you never have a need to use that insurance again. I hope you are cured permanently.

Cheers,

Al
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
well here is my 2 cents worth..

You might be able to get by on $600 especially if you find places you can stay for periods of time and taking a few side jobs occassionally as you mentioned.. have you thought of going south of the border as in Mexico..there are beaches there within a days drive and you could definately get by there swinging in your hammock..working online.. eating tacos and such.. also if you buy your own food and cook in your egg you will save alot as you know.. I think your biggest expense will be gas...

After you start your journey you will begin to find similiar minded folks that will tell you where to go to camp for free and perhaps people could give you a place to park on their land in exchange for some work of some sort..

There are many many possibilities out there!!! What can it hurt to try!!! Before you know it we will be reading your posting of how you travelled the country on $600 a month in style!!! I wish you the best of luck!! Dee

Dee Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #18

Quote:
well here is my 2 cents worth..

You might be able to get by on $600 especially if you find places you can stay for periods of time and taking a few side jobs occassionally as you mentioned.. have you thought of going south of the border as in Mexico..there are beaches there within a days drive and you could definately get by there swinging in your hammock..working online.. eating tacos and such.. also if you buy your own food and cook in your egg you will save alot as you know.. I think your biggest expense will be gas...

After you start your journey you will begin to find similiar minded folks that will tell you where to go to camp for free and perhaps people could give you a place to park on their land in exchange for some work of some sort..

There are many many possibilities out there!!! What can it hurt to try!!! Before you know it we will be reading your posting of how you travelled the country on $600 a month in style!!! I wish you the best of luck!! Dee
Thanks Dee, Lots of food for thought. The Mexico idea would be fun for sure. I know gas prices would curtail the movement, however; my tow vehicle was getting around 21 miles per gallon pulling a 2000 pound trailer this past summer. As far as food goes? Rice and lentils can go far, throw in the occasional fish..No problem. Using a bicycle for running errands, going to gargage sales for books. It can be done for sure.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My suggestion is sorta "try before you buy." Try to live on $600 a month now. If you have a mortgage or rent payment, don't count that into the figure (or any of the utility expenses related to the home) ... but do set aside whatever amount you think you'd need of the $600 to pay for any campground "fees." Then start in, no fair touching anything but that $600. Food, gas, insurance, oil changes, etc. And see how it goes. It's not a definitive answer, but if you find you're up around $750, then at least you may have a better idea if this is doable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #20

Quote:
I believe that all restrictions of this kind are National Forest Federal Regulations. Many NFS regulations are written in such a manner that the individual Forest Supervisor can invoke the regulations or not as he/she sees fit. These are part of the same regulations that allow for National Forest closure when there's a fire. Most of these types of regulations are not invoked unless there's a perceived need.
My experience is that the regs are NOT federal in nature, but written by whoever administers that particular gummint facility (although there are some general regulations), esp when it comes to stay limits. Yes, however, it's up to that administration to enforce (or not enforce) them. My feelings, from traveling around in the Western Colorado area, was that there was a decided tendency to restrict the stay limits.

That said, I did waaay overstay the limit in one camp ground; I was friendly with the camp hosts, occasionally made myself useful, certainly wasn't a problem, didn't hog the best sites and hardly ever made a campfire (one of the contract host's jobs was to clean EVERY firepit EVERY day, due to fire danger status). I also camped over the limit at a dispersed site in the same area. BUT, one can't count on being able to do that.

BTW, here's a list of the federal agencies that have CGs on some of their land, and not all are under the same federal regs as the natl forests, even to the point of charging or not charging admission fees:

Natl Parks and Monuments and Seashores and Lakeshores
Nat Recreation Areas
Natl Forest
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclaimation
Corps of Engineers
Tennessee Valley Authority
Natl Wildlife Service