How do you do it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
How do you do it?

We had visitors stop by to quiz us on our Newfoundland travels since one person's grandparents had emigrated from their to the USA. Initially they toured our Scamp 16 and were shocked that we travel together for as much as 11 months a year in the "tiny space" (her words). Continuing on she exclaimed "we'd kill each other, I don't love him that much".

It's probably not a surprise to most of you, but were thrilled with our space and never fell confined by it, even on the rainy days. Simply owning our Scamp offers a security blanket, a secure place where the two of us are comfortable, that can be used to carry us thru what ever may come.

Over our 17 years on the road we've been thru just about every make of fiberglass trailer, many more spacious and better appointed. Yet we have never returned home and given any consideration to buying anything bigger or newer.

I do perpetually design my idea of an ideal trailer, more as a mental challenge than anything recognizing my age precludes building what I might love. One's mind does need stimulation.

We head south the day after Labor day, a one month trip to Florida. We plan a stops in Princeton, NJ (grandaughter).. Gettysburg, PA (Civil war battlefield).. Charlottesville, VA (President's Home).. New Berne, NC.. (Doctor's Visit) just a general meandering south.

We see potential for spme potential wet weather, possibly a hurricane, but know our little Scamp will take care of us.

As to our friends who can't understand our joy in limited space, I'd love to take each of them on a month trip to anywhere, enough time to let them escape the bounds of their lives, at least to taste Scamp life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I lived on a sailboat for many years and was always being asked about the limited space. Now we travel when we can in a small fiberglass trailer.

In each of the cases, I don't judge my place on how much extra room it has, but by how much it offers. I love my house too, but houses are often way bigger than actually needed and often those houses are actually designed for someone other than who is living there. They are also often way underused, with people just spending time in the bedroom, bath, kitchen and dinette areas, for instance, while many areas go unused. So much of the discussion is about how much room we think we need vs what we actually need or use.

Large trailers become much more cumbersome and limited on where they can go. I see enormous 5th wheel trailers zooming down the highway like they're late for work, and think "is there any place I've camped where that could even get in"? Mostly, no.

The adventure and fun offered by a boat or a trailer is fantastic. And how much room does someone really need? We have a place to comfortably sleep, cook, store food and clothes, and sit at a table. It even has a bath and shower. We can easily take it with us and it has the biggest back yard imaginable.

It's really fun to be in a small trailer in a rain storm or to sit there in the morning gazing out the window making plans for the day. I'll sit out at night and listen for coyotes or chat with friends that come by, while the fire crackles.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I can't begin to count the number of companions I've had to kill while camping in a tiny teardrop and now in my Trillium camper! That's mostly because there haven't been any deaths! If anything, these travels have brought us closer together! Highly recommended...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
i've met several folks who had the dream of living/traveling in the small fiberglass trailers, only to find the reality didn't match their expectations. in each case, they ended up selling their trailer and either going to a larger rig or finding another way to travel altogether(hotels, B&B's, etc)
i've full timed in my 2013 13ft Casita Patriot Deluxe for nearly 4 yrs now and i find it is exactly perfect for me and my little dog. it has everything i need and nothing i don't. a breeze to tow, set up and enjoy. for me, the smallness is what attracts me. i consider the "great outdoors" to be part of my "home" and, especially when outside under the awning, my home seems huge!
some people will never feel the same, i know that and i accept that. i concentrate on my friends who live/camp/travel in their small fiberglass trailers and don't try to convince anyone else of the benefits of it. if they don't agree, to each his own........
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Name: Will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Honda, it really does depend a lot on who your companion is. I now have the perfect one, and I look forward to starting this new adventure. Just had my 70th birthday. And while the camping experience is my main draw, I really can relate to your comment about security blanket. Now that a paycheck has been replaced by draws from a limited retirement fund, the current state of America has me more than a bit concerned.

Raspy, I just love your last paragraph. Exactly what I miss from my camping days. Hope to repeat soon.

I am still looking for the best trailer. I have a new Ford Escape which will tow 3500 pounds. One option I'm considering is the 16 footer Scamp layout 6. I want a permanent bed, AC, and a bathroom. I would really like to see one to see if the bathroom would accommodate my 6'2" frame. But it seems most trailers are in the east, not the west. I am in Phoenix. Shopping for a small trailer, I find very little imagination in layouts. Nearly all manufacturers use the same layouts. One might think that such a small space doesn't allow options, yet the French seem to know better. There are some very interesting designs coming out of France, but not available here. Anyway, still searching and seriously considering the Scamp.
thewags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Togetherness

After tent camping for many years, with two kids and a dog, Oh and we had a couple of VW camper vans too.... we slept inside, the kids in the tent!
Barbara got our first, used, Scamp 13 one day (while I was layed up after an operation). It was a good companion for the '91 VW Vanagon. Went many places.
Traded for a new 2000 16 dlx. abd Honda Odyssey. Had it for 16 yrs. First trip was to NFLD/LBDR, over 7000 miles. Drove the ALaska Hwy, in '04, over 11,000 Mi. and 2.5 months. CA, FL, and all states and provinces too.
Getting out of our "home" routine is wonderful. But, coming home again is great too. A house gives you enough room to be out of each other's space. The Scamp makes for intimacy!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
After tent camping for many years, with two kids and a dog, Oh and we had a couple of VW camper vans too.... we slept inside, the kids in the tent!
Barbara got our first, used, Scamp 13 one day (while I was layed up after an operation). It was a good companion for the '91 VW Vanagon. Went many places.
Traded for a new 2000 16 dlx. abd Honda Odyssey. Had it for 16 yrs. First trip was to NFLD/LBDR, over 7000 miles. Drove the ALaska Hwy, in '04, over 11,000 Mi. and 2.5 months. CA, FL, and all states and provinces too.
Getting out of our "home" routine is wonderful. But, coming home again is great too. A house gives you enough room to be out of each other's space. The Scamp makes for intimacy!
Hi Wayne, I understand. Since we sold our traditional home I guess I agree and vote for intimacy. Certainly the situation in a Scamp 16. In FL I still vote for sleeping on the twin bed we keep on the porch though we have a queen in our bedroom.

Continued Safe Travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
So far only vacationing 7 to 10 days at a stretch in our Scamp 13. Any day in our Scamp is better than any day at work. Someday we may be lucky enough to retire and test our true compatability in our 13 Scamp. If it doesn't work then we get 2 trailers and camp side by side. If you can't stand each other in a 13 footer how does another 3 to 8 feet make a difference. Either you can make do with what you have with your best friend or you can't, I doubt a few extra feet will make a difference. If you can't then you need to make a different change rather than the length of your trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #9

Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I think it comes down to what you really want from your trailer. Do you want a safe, warm, dry place to sleep and eat or do you need a "status symbol" to drag down the highway while you try to impress other people who don't even realize you exist.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #10

Alberta
Norm and Ginny, when were you guys on the Rock?
Old 09-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #11

Florida
Mike_L,
We were last in NL May to early July of 2017. We go most years during this period and are considering next year.

It was cool in 2017, it actually snowed , 14 inches, in Late May, a rare occurrence. As well sea ice was plentiful well into June closing much of the fishing down.

Actually it snowed in August in Western Labrador.

Regardless we had a great time and ourittle Scamp kept us warm and dry.

As to the Scamp, people forever are asking for tours. They are truly curious and gender ally surprised by what they find. Generally women have a tougher time imagining living in one for an extended period... Something about needing individual space.

Not an issue with me, outside of motel rooms I have never had a room alone basically since I was born.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2017, 05:03 AM   #12

Florida
Stevebaz,

I suspect you'll not need the second trailer. Ginny has been my best friend for 60 years now. I miss her even when she's gone for an afternoon with her sisters.

We have a shared life not related to an amount of space.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

Alberta
Norm and Ginny, are you folks from the Rock or just like to visit?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #14

Florida
Mike_L,
We are not natives. We go for 2 months, 8 times so far. I love our travels but particularly Newfoundland.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

Alberta
We are from there and have camped all over the island. Labrador is nice mid June to the end of July if you feel so inclined.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
We are from there and have camped all over the island. Labrador is nice mid June to the end of July if you feel so inclined.
We did spend two months driving across Labrador in 2008. It was an absolutely great drive, a little easier now with more of the TLH paved.

We have camped all over as well, virtually driven on every numbered route in Newfoundland and Labrador (I'm sure we missed some but who knows where.)
Next year my goal is to camp in Tilt Cove (pop. 4).

I just received some information that it snowed in August in Labrador. As well there was a picture of Pinware, with leftover deep snow. In 2008 we tried to camp in Pinware Prov except the snow was 8 feet deep in mid June.

Our goal is to see the state of the ice next year. Over the last 3 years winter's been later and later leaving NL. Fisherman could not get out until mid June. The ferry to Fogo is fortunately an ice breaker. it was needed when we went over in late June.

There are still a couple of Islands on the north coast that I have not been to visit, St. Brendans (sp) is one. We have not taken any of the south coast ferriSs and I'd like to go to Ramea as well this year.

So much to do and so little time. Ginny enjoys it there and thts year we extended our visit further into July.

Mike where are you from in NL?

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Stevebaz,

I suspect you'll not need the second trailer. Ginny has been my best friend for 60 years now. I miss her even when she's gone for an afternoon with her sisters.

We have a shared life not related to an amount of space.
Lesley is my best friend. It took me 2 tries to get it right. Going on 17 years now. Its not the size of the trailer, its the size of each others heart. When you get that right everything else just fits. What a life we could have had if we were together at a much younger age. But i guess we both had some growing up to do before we met each other.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Lesley is my best friend. It took me 2 tries to get it right. Going on 17 years now. Its not the size of the trailer, its the size of each others heart. When you get that right everything else just fits. What a life we could have had if we were together at a much younger age. But i guess we both had some growing up to do before we met each other.
It's great when you're living with your best friend. Both us had a horrible first marriage. Then we found each other about 38 years ago. Oh what fun we've had.
As for how you "do it" concerning traveling. Living where I live there's a company near here that a neat moto "just do it" I think that about sums it up.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
snoozy

Will, check out the Lil Snoozy it has a rear door ,full queen bed ,bath , 6ft 4in headroom and there are a few for sale . We had the twin bed model .We needed a little more room for our Grandkids so we have the Escape 21 now .happy hunting Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:06 AM   #20

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
norm & ginny, i love your attitude! no wonder you both have enjoyed full timing in your 16ft scamp for so many years. i'm going on 4 yrs full timing in my 13ft casita patriot deluxe(see comment no. 4 above) and find people fall into 2 camps. they either really enjoy doing this or they spend their time nitpicking their trailers and/or their surroundings/travel companions. obviously you 2 fall into the first category. i concentrate my time/energy on people who love this lifestyle and there are many of us out here.sure hope merlin (my canine travel companion) and i meet you somewhere on the road. you would definitely be a couple i would enjoy meeting. safe travels! claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote