How is the "lounging?" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
How is the "lounging?"

I've spoken to a few forum members with various sized egg campers and one thing that was mentioned was lack of comfortable seating inside. Seems like even the biggest egg campers only have either a bed or a dinette to sit (or both if you have a large egg).

Something tells me trying to sit on the bed or in the dinette for a few hours(maybe too buggy outside, or bad weather, or you just want privacy) may not be as good as those nice captain chairs or sofas found in more traditional TTs.

How has it worked out for couples out there on the road while fulltiming or out there for extended periods? Thanks!
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Bester,
There is always the Casita Freedom deluxe which has two captains chairs. I spent 2+ months in Florida this past winter in a Spirit Deluxe and the upright
Seating position can get a little tiring, I simply placed my sink cover behind my back at a slight angle and this helps a great deal. Some owners have built a wedge which they place behind their cushions. Hope that helps. Peace.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Casita captain chair in our Uhaul. It's not all that great. We have comfortable camp chairs that we use outside or in our screen room
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Leave the bed down and have lots of pillows!! Very comfortable to spend a rainy day reading.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I put the side dinette down, use a few throw pillows, and relax. I use a couple of those plastic folding stools if I want sit, that way I can put my feet down. I can always manage to fall asleep. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How is the "lounging?"

The front sofa/bunk in my Scamp is surprisingly comfortable. The tall backrest sits at a nice angle when lowered. The bench cushion is anchored by the kitchen cabinets and screen door frame so nothing slides around. Add a pillow or two and I'm all set for a movie, book, or laptop session.

On the other hand, the rear dinette seats, with short, vertical back rests and cushions prone to sliding around, are good for long enough to eat a meal, no more.

Neither is Lazy Boy comfortable. For that you need a larger trailer or one of those anti-gravity folding recliners outside. I have one at home, a hand-me-down, but decided it's too heavy and bulky to take camping.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
I removed the dinette table and have a small folding table if I need one. I made 4"x30" and 20"x30" pieces of 3/4" plywood that span the benches and carry a couple pillows which can all be set up in numerous configurations to lounge, such as a pillow behind my back and my legs propped up on a cushion which sets atop the plywood. Move a cushion onto the larger plywood and take a nap , and I'm sure I'll have more ideas and mods!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's several different things that I do. If it's raining and cold enough to keep me inside it's nice to find a local museum spend time at. Another thing is if the weather is too bad, I move on.
When I do stay in the trailer the dinette is up and reading, computing, or just sitting and conversing. Another thing I do is sit on the couch and pull out the Mountain Dulcimer and make music.
What ever I do it's more comfortable than living in a backpacking tent so we're happy.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
One of the things that sold us on the Lil Snoozy was the comfortable couch. We spend 5 month each year in the trailer and find it very doable. The full time home sized queen bed was another.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
To each his own. We found the LiL Snoozy very comfortable except for the couch. I bought a couple of Casita captains chairs and built in a dinette in place of the couch.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Everyone's different. 's camp's front couch is very comfortable. The dinette not as much however with a two person dinette table it' 's more comfortable. Also we have a pillow and additional cushion for the dinette.

If it's raining we can always get in bed and watch something on Netflix.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We loved our Casita Freedom for lounging. Had a great 8 years in it. We were worried about giving up the captains chairs but find the huge dinette in the 21 Escape very comfortable. Lots of pillows, you can even put your feet up and folks who have the ushape dinette option and don't have the table up have been know to take naps on it! Best to go to a rally if you can and check out different models.

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We love the gaucho bed arrangement in our Bigfoot. During the day it's a nice couch for lunging about,. but we've made the plunge and have ordered a new Escape 19. Our current plan is to have a u-shaped convertible dinette/bed in the back so we can have the "lounge" in the day time and a queen size bed at night. The best of both worlds?
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
In any new trailer I buy, I would like to have enough aisle width for my zero gravity lounger, or room somewhere for a nice recliner. The typical bench seats are too straight for my comfort: rigid horizontal seat and vertical back. To be comfortable, they would need to have the seat slope down a bit in the rear and have the back angled about 25 degrees or so from vertical. Oh, and the bench seats tend to be too high for my rather short legs (I'm 5'8") also.

This summer, since I'm in between travel trailers right now, I plan to camp in my Lil Hauley. I have a comfy cot for sleeping. For sitting, I have my zero gravity lounger, and I might possibly take my Benchmaster swivel recliner with ottoman (it's like this, only in dark brown) Click image for larger version

Name:	BenchmasterChair.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	95181 since I have so much room in the Hauley. And I found a refurb'd portable A/C unit to keep me cool during the upcoming July stay in Zion's Watchman CG. About the only thing I'm really lacking is indoor plumbing. There's the porta potty, of course, but I haven't rigged up a sink with tanks (yet).

The Benchmaster chairs are pretty compact when upright, and I see that they now also have some with built-in folding footrests. Surprisingly comfortable chairs for the price ($200-$300). Seems like there ought to be a way to shoehorn one into a Casita or something...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i found the dinette seating in my casita 16'er to be dismal. the ninety degree angle of the cushions didn't give a lot of support and never failed to give me a back ache. i tried several "cures" to no avail. a fellow member here turned me on to these wonderful seats from west marine. they are "event seats" intended for concerts, sports events, etc. and fold in half with backpack straps for getting them into the venue. i never use that feature but i do sit in them a lot while camp hosting, rainy days and any other time i just need to sit. very comfy altho a bit pricey but well worth it for my tired old butt.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0051.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
A lot of people with Escape 21's aand 5.0TA's are putting in a U-shaped dinette at the rear, with the idea of providing a nice lounging area. They seem to be very happy with it. Not sure if I will do this, or just to plan to lounge on the large dinette seats with a custom table folded smaller, and dropped to be used as a coffee table.

One advantage of lounging back there is the 3 big windows surrounding you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #17

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Lounging, as most other pursuits, requires practice. The more the better. I have raised it to high art..........even in the Little Joe.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
i found the dinette seating in my casita 16'er to be dismal. the ninety degree angle of the cushions didn't give a lot of support and never failed to give me a back ache. i tried several "cures" to no avail. a fellow member here turned me on to these wonderful seats from west marine. they are "event seats" intended for concerts, sports events, etc. and fold in half with backpack straps for getting them into the venue. i never use that feature but i do sit in them a lot while camp hosting, rainy days and any other time i just need to sit. very comfy altho a bit pricey but well worth it for my tired old butt.

p@
It might have been me? In any case, I have two of the West Marine chairs in place of the original cushions at the front table in my Escape 17B. Very comfortable chairs. They also fold flat, providing a sleeping cushion for a very short person...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #19

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
My 19's front dinette is too small for me but sometimes you just have to lounge with what you got.
Attached Thumbnails
Reading1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
My 19's front dinette is too small for me but sometimes you just have to lounge with what you got.
I'm surprised a creative fellow like you doesn't have a flip-up padded footrest, Myron.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote