How many outfits can you fit in your 13/16/17ft rig? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #21

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
The goal for me is to retire asap, and of course the younger I retire, the more frugal I need to be as my nest egg is less and my money needs to last longer. Knowing myself, I'd rather cut expenses than work along the way. With that said, one way to cut expenses is to buy a smaller TT and smaller, more fuel efficient TT.
I'd say don't cut it too close. I'd recommend a 17' with a pick up TV. That will give you enough storage space for one or two people.

Fuel efficiency is mostly affected by the aerodynamics of the egg and the speed you drive.

Also, how you set up your 'egg' will determine how much space you have. If you leave the rear bed made up you can use storage bins, with wheels for clothing and other things.

Many people are doing what you are thinking about and don't have a problem with storage.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you haven't considered bed sizes, I would do that before getting my heart set on a particular trailer as it was a deal breaker on many of the units for us. Also, what kind of dog? Have you been in any of the trailers yet?
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
REI

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
3 digits? Will she still be ambulatory? My number is low 6 digits and I'm getting pretty ancient, having joined 45 years ago.

Happy trails, john
Yep, that would put her card in the late 1940's, maybe a bit earlier than I had guessed. Mine is 5 digits from the late 50's when I was in H.S. and they only sold from the co-op or mail order in those days.

The big boost came from CU making their gear in the 60's a Best Buy. But those daze are long gone. We were at the opening of store #2, in Berkley, CA, what a fun zoo that was.

Now back to our regular programming.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #24

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
If you have to do laundry every two weeks, that's 14 days. If you wear each item 2 days, you'll need SIX outfits...6 tops, 6 bottoms. The one you're WEARING is outfit number 7.

Pack VERY washable items, ones you can wear into the shower to wash, then hang overnight. That way you can pack less. You might do the same with underwear.

Practice...if it takes more than one medium large suitcase, you have too much "stuff". Remember, you have to carry what the trailer needs, and have room for that, too.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I like Bob's comment on the qualifications of the SO you need/want to meet. I pretty much live up to that description...sorry I'm unavailable as I've been married for over 40 years and still love backpacking and camping. Chances are when you find your SO she will LOVE your cute little FGRV and will think it luxurious and spacious, I do.

We recently returned from a 30-day caravan (camper van the size of a VW bus) trip in New Zealand. We machine-washed our clothes one time and hand-washed occasionally. Because of the new carry-on regulations for small planes we kept our total luggage to one duffle 22" long plus one day pack. (That is basically what we carry on all foreign trips as well as trailer camping trips) There were 3 adults in the camper. It was snug, I won't lie, but we had everything we needed.

In our 13' basic Scamp my husband and I have all the clothes we need. In the closet we installed shelving because the closet clothing bar turned out to be useless. Who needs to have wrinkle-free clothes while camping? Answer: no one. We can store a lot more on shelves. We designate one shelf each for my husband and me. We roll up our towels, shirts, pants etc. I keep underwear, socks, etc. in a zip up "lingerie bag" (cheap at Target stores). Everything else stays in the duffles and are placed under the bed which we seldom set up as a table, unless it's raining. Believe me, your challenge will be finding space for all the OTHER stuff.

The Scamp bed is at 43 1/2" x 76" is called a 3/4 full bed. A regular twin bed is 39" x 76". To say it's "cozy" is an understatement. Strangely, we sleep BETTER in the Scamp than at home in our queen size bed! You know how it is when you backpack...you can sleep on rocks and eat dirt without complaint because you are so darned tired after a day of hiking. When camping we have active days of hiking and we appreciate the comfortable (after a few modifications) bed and the yummy food (my husband is a great cook both at home and camping. So, see what I mean, living in the Scamp is luxurious compared to backpacking. I call our camping experience "glamping".

Note: The attached photos show my custom foam topper covered with cotton knit zip top rolled up and laid down flat. I could not find a photo of our closet shelves but this photo is of plastic shoe boxes that hold storage. You can find my previous postings on bedding and storage on this forum's archives.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 038.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #26

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
You might want to google "capsule wardrobe" the article is written by a woman but the concept works for anyone. A few pieces that are comfortable and coordinate color and style wise.
Personally, I can travel indefinitely with one 21" carry-on and do about the same when in our Compact II. If I had to full time in it I would probably go to two carry-on s. Better to have fewer clothes and do laundry often IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #27

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Denece, I hadn't heard that term before, is this it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_wardrobe
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #28

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Here is a better link

http://www.un-fancy.com/capsule-ward...sule-wardrobe/

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Shoes are one item that eats space. Regular, dress, sandals, 1 each. Maybe a pair of somewhat casual dress shoes or nice sneakers as spare shoes. Red Lobster dressy not night on the town. Depending on shoe size that takes up a fair amount of space. Only have two feet can't imagine needing more than these.

I believe it was Norm that posted what I though was an excellent suggestion on outer wear storage. In the tow vehicle. Parka's, ponchos, sweat shirts are not taking up living space and are available if needed when out site seeing or shopping. Stop on the shore for a walk and you might find the breeze warrants a parka. Having it with rather than back at the camper is a win/win.

Hanging clothes use the most space, many of these can be rolled to avoid wrinkles. Underwear & sock supply determine laundry cycle. I can wear a pair of jeans into the shower to wash then remove. Same with a shirt which is pretty easy to do in a pail.

I think what works is having a routine and a place for everything that works out for accessibility and convenience. Which brings me to the SO of your dreams - if they are already full timing or close to it they will have a routine and how they like things arranged. There is no fury like a DW that can't find where you put her bathroom kit. Or DH who wonders where might the flashlight be other than where it belongs?

Start with moderate length stays someplace local, either pack the very least amount you think you can get away with and add what you find you are missing or the much harder (but more common) start with all the stuff you think you need and get rid of the crud you find you don't use. If you can go a week you can probably add 7 pairs of underwear & socks and go two weeks by rinsing a couple of shirts or pants.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In Scamps if you have a side bathroom, 4 pairs of adult shoes slide under the bathroom door and stick out about only an inch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote from Gilda worth repeating:

"The Scamp bed is at 43 1/2" x 76" is called a 3/4 full bed. A regular twin bed is 39" x 76". To say it's "cozy" is an understatement. Strangely, we sleep BETTER in the Scamp than at home in our queen size bed!"

Ginny and I feel exactly the same way. Our queen at home feels like we're each sleeping alone. We definitely sleep better in the Scamp. The 'others' we know think we're crazy, we just smile.

The 'motel times' where we have had kings are decidedly 'emotionally' uncomfortable.

The Scamp bed reminds me of younger days.

I know it's not for everyone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #32

Connecticut
Yeah, I was looking at the bed sizes as well. I am 5'9" so anything over 70in for length is probably fine, but I sleep on my stomach and pull one leg up so the width is a larger consideration.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #33

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Don't forget - you can take the rear seats out of your TV and that provides an huge amount of storage space.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #34

Connecticut
Agreed Dextersp1... researching the "right" TW is a whole other task, haha.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #35

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I just packed enough clothing for four people, for nine days, into our Scamp 13 closet. Two kids, two adults. This translates to 40 shirts, 36 pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of long pants 12 pairs of pajamas and all of the underthings, socks and bathing suits. We keep our shoes under the third row seat (in the down position) in our Toyota Highlander. Each person wears a pair (usually flip flops or slides for car comfort) then we store a pair of Keen water shoes and hiking boots. I like having them in the car so if we stop and want to hike or play in the water, they are readily available, instead of potentially back at the campsite. We keep our jackets in day packs in the car as well. My only concern about packing so many clothes into the closet, was the sheer amount of weight of the clothing on one side.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #36

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My DH and I keep one pair of shoes in the trailer and tuck them under the toe kick place under the sink/stove cabinet. Other shoes are kept in the TV, a sedan. I've often thought of putting a plastic kitty carry-box (not for kitty litter) behind the front passenger seat on the floor to hold shoes to keep them from getting crushed. I would take off the door for easy access. I'll let you know how it works.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
The best advice I have seen is to buy your third RV first!

While that's obviously a bit of a gag line, it does relate to the fact that you will essentially learn the most by "doing". Mrs. Civilguy and I have been trailering and learning in a teardrop trailer. We are still on the steep portion of the learning curve, but are quickly learning what works well and what not so well for us. It's very personal.

As an example, the teardrop we purchased came with a small microwave. We had zero interest and I considered pulling it out so that we could use the cabinet space for "something important". Then it rapidly emerged that it's very difficult to make and keep coffee hot under "field-conditions". So now, as we plan our future trailer, a microwave has come to be a "must"!

In fact, we bought the small trailer initially so that we could "try" trailering without having to buy a new tow vehicle more substantial than my old Passat 4-motion wagon. The bug has bit us hard. At present, we are already considering a small fiberglass as an interim trade-up for the teardrop. And also converting a 7x16 cargo-trailer to serve as our "third and ultimate RV".

And we'll probably be just as surprised as anyone to see what actually does happen from here forward.

While I do tend to read all that I can, and am grateful for the forums and many of the YouTube videos, there's a lot to be said for just plain doing. Eventually you will find what works best for you.

Then that special someone will come into your life and you'll ending up changing it all anyway.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #38

(clip) "As an example, the teardrop we purchased came with a small microwave. We had zero interest and I considered pulling it out so that we could use the cabinet space for "something important". Then it rapidly emerged that it's very difficult to make and keep coffee hot under "field-conditions". So now, as we plan our future trailer, a microwave has come to be a "must"! "

We just invented the camp stove to make coffee on and keep it hot, and it doesn't even require a 120VAC outlet. And it even does a fair job with old-fashion popcorn.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #39

Connecticut
As a former backpacker, I know I can go long stretches of time with cold food and very basic stuff, the camper's stove will be more for the future significant other. Haha.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #40

Ya, but a cup of cold coffee, while hiking at the bottom of the Grand Canyon in the morning, just doesn't cut it... LOL