I'm about to take off and I have questions! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Name: Lorena
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
I'm about to take off and I have questions!

Hello!

I'm a 25 year old female and I just purchased a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe, which I'll be towing with my Nissan Xterra. Working in outdoor education means traveling a lot, and I finally decided that paying rent for short periods of time, and feeling tied down to any particular place, was costing me money and cramping my style. So I kind of just jumped in and decided to buy a travel trailer and live in it for a while. My only companion will be my 3 year old St. Bernard/Golden Retriever mix, Summer.
I'm currently in Kentucky. Mid-April, I'm headed to Lander, WY to work a rock climbing job for a few weeks, then on to Colorado to start training for my next job. By the end of May, I'll be living in my trailer near the Bay Area outside San Francisco, running a summer camp until the end of August.

As an avid camper and backpacker, I've never had the luxury of a mobile home. However, I also haven't had the responsibility and additional needs of one- like electricity and water hookups, for example, or the space to park it, or the danger of leaving it unattended for a few weeks (such as when I'm in the field teaching).

So here are a few questions:
Where do I start?! Where are the tips and tricks and places to go? There must be some great resources out there for tips on saving money and finding one's own level of needs and comfort. Any great links you'd like to share? Anything related to safety, security of the trailer, insurance, and storage would be great.

Holy crap! RV sites are EXPENSIVE. I think "boondocking" might be the way for me to go. How do you know where it is legal to park? And for how long? If I am boondocking, where is it safe to fill up water and such? I'll be living outside San Francisco for about three months, and it is NOT cheap. The cheapest parking I found was at an extended stay RV campground for 900 a month, plus the cost of metered electricity. Otherwise, it's over fifty bucks a night. No way can I pull that off.

I plan on learning quickly. I'm a hands-on type learner, and I expect to make mistakes and spend lots of time practicing. It feels crazy to be doing what I'm about to do, but it feels right, too. I know I don't need lots of stuff- just mobility, a few necessities, my dog, and the chance to be in the woods, deserts, and mountains.
I know I'm a newbie. But I am excited to have a community of experienced and awesome people to talk to on here, so either way, thanks so much for reading, and I'm stoked to be a part of this exciting new world. I've been reading almost every post on here and have already learned a lot. So thanks a bunch, you all are inspiring
lorenaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Lorena, I'm sure that some other members here will speak up soon for your questions. The only thing I wanted to say was you should be able to go on line and find areas where you will be that have free camping for boondocking. As far as getting water you can use expandible water jugs to fill up your tank in your travels from town. On line you should also be able to find dump stations in your planned stays. As far as security of leaving your trailer for extended time, guess that you do what you can to secure it and hope for the best. Here in Calif the highway dept pull the wheels off their mobile road warning sign trailers that they leave on site for a while but not saying to do that. Do have the bearings checked and repacked before your trip and good luck to you and have a great time. Your new trailer will be way better tan a tent.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lorena, welcome to FGRV and offer some suggestions. There are several organizations that offer dome discounts for camping, Passport America, Good Sam, KOA all offer discounts for paid membership. In addition they also have guides to campgrounds. In addition there are websites with reviews of campgrounds like here,Campground Reviews and RV Park Reviews
Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I use an iPad app called CampWhere that locates federal, state, and local camp grounds. Most are low cost, some free. However, most are short term. A few weeks at most. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group...

As you have already found, the RV park in Pacifica (near S.F.) is not only the only place nearby to stay, but is also very expensive. I guess that's the price of being near my hometown.

Unfortunately there are no known answers to that problem. There are some state parks in the Half Moon Bay and further south areas, but that makes for a nasty drive into the city.

There are some "Mobile Home Parks" in the Sunnyvale/San Jose area that might have a slightly better monthly rate, but the additional comminute will eat up any savings.

Basically, "boondocking" in the bay area, especially on the peninsula, is what Sheldon might describe as "Undefined" It's very difficult for more than a day or two and the local constabulary is very wise to the most creative attempts.

You mentioned being in a summer camp "Near San Francisco", if you can give a more exact location you might get more help.

BTW: It's not a good idea to even think about leaving a Casita "Unattended" for several weeks while you are away. Even those in storage lots have been known to disappear per posts in the last week.

Good luck and let us know if you find any solutions to RV'ing in The City by the Bay.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Lorena, I'm sure that some other members here will speak up soon for your questions. The only thing I wanted to say was you should be able to go on line and find areas where you will be that have free camping for boondocking. As far as getting water you can use expandible water jugs to fill up your tank in your travels from town. On line you should also be able to find dump stations in your planned stays. As far as security of leaving your trailer for extended time, guess that you do what you can to secure it and hope for the best. Here in Calif the highway dept pull the wheels off their mobile road warning sign trailers that they leave on site for a while but not saying to do that. Do have the bearings checked and repacked before your trip and good luck to you and have a great time. Your new trailer will be way better tan a tent.
Expandable water jugs. Brilliant. I put that in my "trailer stuff" notes on my smartphone. I thought about five gallon jugs, ut they take up so much space. So thank you!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

Kentucky
Thanks, I will bookmark that page. Every time I've traveled through the states, I'm stoked that I have a smart phone.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #8

Kentucky
Thanks everyone for the tips.
I'm now officially terrified about leaving my brand new Casita parked in Lander for up to three weeks unsupervised. Especially because everything I own will be in it, or in my Xterra. I guess I should start calling RV storage areas in and near Lander. Eeek. Are there any other suggestions for what to do with it and maintain my peace of mind?

For more info: I will be working in Corta Madera, in Merrin County, from Late May through August. It's a day job, with weekends off (hooray!), so I would love to be within twenty minutes drive. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Kentucky
Whoops... *Marin County
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #10

Pleeeze, Marin County, although a beautiful place, isn't San Francisco...LOL

Actually you may have better luck there, than on the other side of the bridge, finding a place to stay, but in bay area traffic jargon, a 20 minute drive is about 3 miles. Try up towards Santa Rosa, the fairgrounds there has cheap spaces I believe as long as there isn't a major activity going on. BUT, stay clear of anything near the Russian River, those are mostly party places and the spaces are like the inside of Sardine cans.

Coleman makes an excellent, folding 5 gallon container, available at Wal-Mart.

As far as parking for an extended period.... good luck on that one, unless you can arrange a parking place at the local police or fire station (ask?).

Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Pleeeze, Marin County, although a beautiful place, isn't San Francisco...LOL

As far as parking for an extended period.... good luck on that one, unless you can arrange a parking place at the local police or fire station (ask?).

Sorry, I haven't actually been to the location yet, I don't know where anything is! It looks close to SF on a map!

Are you serious about the fire station? Is that something they do/have done before? See, this is why I'm here- that never would have crossed my mind in a million years.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #12

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Actually you may have better luck there, than on the other side of the bridge, finding a place to stay, but in bay area traffic jargon, a 20 minute drive is about 3 miles. Try up towards Santa Rosa, the fairgrounds there has cheap spaces I believe as long as there isn't a major activity going on. BUT, stay clear of anything near the Russian River, those are mostly party places and the spaces are like the inside of Sardine cans.
Santa Rosa! Yes! I have a friend who lives there, and according to Google it's only forty minutes north. I wonder if he'd let me park outside his house. Text sent, waiting for response! Man, that would save me so much money! Thanks, Bob.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lorena, if you are going to leave it for extended time in an unfamiliar to you location, make sure you have a real *good* coupler lock on it. Also wouldn't hurt to run some heavy chains through the wheels.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Lorena, if you are going to leave it for extended time in an unfamiliar to you location, make sure you have a real *good* coupler lock on it. Also wouldn't hurt to run some heavy chains through the wheels.
Wonderful! Ok...so then my sheepishly stupid questions: What is a coupler lock? How do I chain it properly? Are there videos or instructions online I can check out?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My brother stayed for six months at the Flying J truck stop in Calgary. Eventually the police showed up at 2 am and told him to move on. He now has his ~40 fifth wheel parked in the trees on the 22x highway right of way, also inside Calgary. You can see his trailer, and three trucks, if you know where to look, for about a second, when you drive past on the 22x. If it is wet, it is hard to get in there. Lots of mud.

Since he built an 8'x8'x7' cube, with a 50" flat screen, he now sleeps in his employers parking lot. The fifth wheel has not been slept in for about six months. He has dropped of another truck there, since he now drives an International 4700 crew cab with a 40' crane.

Canada is a strange place. Well, the parts that my family inhabit any way.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape
camp spaces

Calistoga, CA fairgrounds is pretty good, not expensive and walking distance into town as long as there is not a fair going at the time.
Jack
Jack Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #17

You should take time to read ALL of the current posts and pick up additional info and questions in that manner. If you click on NEW POSTS at the top you will get the last 50 or so. This is a great way to learn and find out what you don't know about.

There is a current post about a very interesting coupler lock here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post446057

The idea is to at least slow down the bad guys, and late model Casita's are a favorite.

Again, read everything posted until you can sort what you might not need or already know, that should only take about a year.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #18

Registry
Well as far as the chain on the wheel goes - just run it through the holes in the tires rim and through something else on the underside of the trailer or attach to something close by if there is something. Otherwise just leave through the trim - pain to drive with a chain on the tire ;-) The thing with any size of chain is it can be cut and if someone wants the trailer bad enough they will cut it. The chain simple slows the process down - hopefully long enough for someone passing by to notice. In the link below there are actual wheel locks you can purchase but they are heavy to carry around and pricey! There are also a number of different couple locks as well on the link. Coupler locks are a little harder to remove than a simple wheel chain.

The link to E-trailers Trailer Locks.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

Canada is a strange place. Well, the parts that my family inhabit any way.
Trust me in my part of Canada if you leave any vehicle parked on the side of the road or near a highway for more than 24 hours it will be towed! In my own neighbourhood the neighbours will call the police if they notice a strange car parked thats been parked and not moved for more than 48 hours in the neighbourhood - more than one person has had a visiting friends car towed in error!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
You might want to try camping for a weekend or two with someone who is an avid camper. Only way to learn the in's and out's.
Good luck, you will eventually find it fun.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote