Keep or sell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #1

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Keep or sell?

I am a 10 year full timer and have been meticulous in keeping my 17’ Casita 2013 in good condition. Wear and tear does happen, however. I love my trailer and am in no hurry to change my shelter/home. My question is...should I try and get my money back out of it while it is still sound (maybe 16,500) and get another one that hasn’t been used so much. I’m hardcore but I’d say most only go camping. Or just keep this for the duration and since I’m 72, the duration isn’t decades plural. Any thoughts? Make sense? In in California and people love these Texas Casitas. Jodi
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Short of getting one brand new, I wouldn't. You know all the issues (if there are any) on your current trailer. You may buy one that is somewhat newer, only to find unpleasant surprises later. Finding a good used and fairly new Casita is no simple task.

As we all get older, life changes quickly. I lost several friends in 2018, a couple were sudden and a total surprise to everyone.

Get "your money out of it" is best accomplished by continuing to use the trailer. You really don't save anything selling what you have and buying a replacement, unless you score some incredible deal. Selling stuff takes time, do you want to invest your time in such an endeavor just to maybe save a little? Not me.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodimckenna56 View Post
I am a 10 year full timer and have been meticulous in keeping my 17’ Casita 2013 in good condition. Wear and tear does happen, however. I love my trailer and am in no hurry to change my shelter/home. My question is...should I try and get my money back out of it while it is still sound (maybe 16,500) and get another one that hasn’t been used so much. I’m hardcore but I’d say most only go camping. Or just keep this for the duration and since I’m 72, the duration isn’t decades plural. Any thoughts? Make sense? In in California and people love these Texas Casitas. Jodi
I have spent a lot of years around these trailers and have seen some over thirty years old in great shape. They are solid, well made and simple, normal maintenance would yield a lifetime of service from your trailer for much younger owners than you.
If you love it, keep it... With normal care you will lose no more value.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #4

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
SELL IT!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I agree that the best way to get your money out of it is to use it.

If there's an underlying reason, even one like "I just want a change; something different" and you're trying to justify it in other ways, that's a whole different issue. You want what you want and you should do what you want to do.

But I'd say if you're trying to look at it completely rationally and your question is meant to be taken at face value, then unless your trailer isn't providing something you need, the best thing to do is continue to treat it well and get as much use out of it as possible.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Keep it.

Economists call it marginal utility. What extra or additional utility will a new Casita get you? Compare this new utility to what the current trailer provides. The difference in value is what only you can determine.

The shell will not be much of an improvement, if any at all. Unless it has too many spider cracks, or leaks. The AC, refrigerator, and furnace might be in need of replacement, also maybe the converter, and LED lights. All of which you might be able to do yourself, for minimal cost.

However, you want a different floor plan, and the new LED outside stop and turn signal lights.

Also don't forget there will be bugs to work out in a new trailer.

You are in a great position: You have a great unit and don't NEED to buy something else.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Well said, Zach.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #8

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
If you love it, keep it. Plus, you know where everything goes in the trailer. Less stress than when you start using a new one and can't figure out where everything is.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #9

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
life's too short for wishes. there's no harm in keeping your eyes open. if you see a great deal, grab it. you KNOW your current camper has resale value so you won't be sitting on 2 for more than a minute!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #10

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I think the price you are considering is very optimistic if you reveal that it's been lived in full time. Not many years left to be traveling with the trailer so what are the plans for after? If you plan to continue use it as a "tiny house" and not tow it from place to place, maybe something larger would be more comfortable.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I think the price you are considering is very optimistic if you reveal that it's been lived in full time. Not many years left to be traveling with the trailer so what are the plans for after? If you plan to continue use it as a "tiny house" and not tow it from place to place, maybe something larger would be more comfortable.
+10 Assuming it has been outside this entire time, its going to show signs of age, wear and tear. Unless it is spotless, shiny and new looking, with no smells inside, I think estimated price is very optimistic.

Trailers that bring top dollar tend to spend most of their time stored under cover (carport or garage). Just being out in the sun can really age a trailer. Some five year old trailers look brand new, others look 20 years old.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #12

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Keep or Sell?

Keep it if your camping style has not changed. It's paid for. Why not invest in a change of pace...such as by foreign travel every other year. It's a big world out there....try Patagonia.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #13

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
We bought our 2013 Casita second-hand last year, our first (and maybe last) trailer. It was in great shape and cost us $16K. I guess we could sell it for close to that if we wanted something bigger, but we don't. I'm reasonably handy, and we think we have 10-20 years remaining that we would enjoy using our Casita. So our plan is to keep it that long, then sell it. That probably works out to $500 a year cost of ownership, and that's hard to beat.
Before we bought it, we studied carefully, and decided that it provided the best longevity and value. So we're just getting started!
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 AM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodimckenna56 View Post
Keep it unless you have really put a lot of wear and tear on it and have massive problems. Or unless it just is not working for you any more. We have a 2007 and it still looks new since we keep it garaged and don't use it a lot. The seats are new since they have been wrapped in plastic and in storage since day one. We put in a mattress and leave the big dinette as a bed. We have wrestled with keeping or selling and only using our motor home. But there are times we like the trailer to have a vehicle to drive around. We know our trailer and if something goes wrong we'll fix it. Cheaper to fix than sell and buy another one. So far only maintenance like tires and batteries mostly.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Just quit thinking about the future and live for this year's new adventures. Then the next and the next each in their own time. You will know when the time comes that you no longer want to or can use it but you absolutely won't know when that will be until you actually get there. Quit trying to predict it, it might be tomorrow because of an illness or injurty or of course you might suddenly pass away without ever having had the chance to make such a decision. Or you might be using it at 110 years old even if you need to have a family member or friend tag along with you.

You are 72, grab that golden ring on the carousel for the free ride and get up on the pony and enjoy the merry-go-round as long as it is still spinning. Quit worrying about what you can or can't do a decade from now. You can't predict that. However the actuarial tables say if you have made it to your current age then you have a very good chance of making it to 100. An even better chance of it than the day you were born or when you were 20 or 30 or 50. An amazing statistic is that for every year older you get in your 70s the more likely it is that you will have an extremely long life. So you may still have 3 more decades to enjoy that trailer. You are still too young to put limits on yourself. I am only 3 years younger and I am not about to limit my life with thinking about having only a decade to enjoy my trailer.

Of course if it does get a bit run down then you can make someone very happy by selling it to them at a rehab price such as myself who bought that kind of trailer to fix up at the very young age of 67, a woman who has no intention of worrying about what is going to happen 10 years or even 20 years from now. Its just not worth worrying about because such thoughts drag you down in spirit and make you feel old when you don't have to ever feel old.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Depending on the state sales and personal property taxes are also to be considered. I recently upgraded trailers and got my new personal property tax bill and was a little shocked.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #17

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
De-junk every nook and cranny, take out everything extra. Now pay a crew (like at an auto detailing place or hiring a maid service, even) to do a deep clean of everything inside including a good floor wax or carpet shampoo, cleaning appliances ilnside and out, etc. Now invest in new curtains and matching colored accessories here and there. Get a tin "poster" or two that match your new colored accessories enhance the appearance and put them up somewhere. Take out everything extra, leaving the inside more spacious and less jumbled.

NOW, consider. How do you like it now? Even if it doesn't make you want it all over again, it will definitely help sell it!

If you keep it, you've given it a new look, more space, and a whole new clean, colorful, exciting/restful vibe.

Kathleen

(One such "tin" sign/picture I find quite funny--I didn't order this one, though)
Attached Thumbnails
life's a beach, watch out for the crabs.jpg  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Very good suggestion by Kathleen.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #19

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Sounds like you want to sell what you've got, then buy what you had.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Rzbrn thanks! We did that once with a truck, and decided to keep it after all. Your nice comment made me smile!