Live FT in RV in AZ or NV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The only trouble with year rounding in PHX or TUS is that at 100+ degrees in the summer, the Casita A/C is barely able to keep up. At higher elevations where the summers are pleasant, the sub freezing temps in the winter will get your plumbing. If you found a job that would permit living in both places in the appropriate seasons, that would be perfect.
Loring Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loring Green View Post
The only trouble with year rounding in PHX or TUS is that at 100+ degrees in the summer, the Casita A/C is barely able to keep up. At higher elevations where the summers are pleasant, the sub freezing temps in the winter will get your plumbing. If you found a job that would permit living in both places in the appropriate seasons, that would be perfect.
As someone who spent 6 years in Tucson, I agree with the above. Phoenix, where it is even more congested, is supposed to be even hotter. The issue with the "dry" climate is that during the summer with the hottest temps, the monsoons come in and the humidity soars with night time temperatures being above 80 degrees even out in the county without asphalt/cement in the area. September in an RV was unbearable for us through about January which was pleasant. We moved into a mobile home shortly after arriving there in September, within 2 weeks actually! A/C doesn't work as well in dry climates either, thus the reason many previously used "swamp" coolers. When it is 114 degrees outside, "dry" means nothing.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It was great for our trip through the southwest during September and October.
The week before we went it was 100* plus, but fall fell and it was great.
SO for two months, at least it will be great/
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I still haven't figured out what "FT" in the title stands for.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I still haven't figured out what "FT" in the title stands for.
Full Time
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #26

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
I'm going to go to NV for a few months, then go down to AZ. I wont get a job until this CV19 stuff is over, so I guess it doesn't matter where exactly.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #27

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Should be nice this time of year and no tornadoes to worry about.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I find these threads interesting . It echo’s the tales of men
(Hobos ) riding the rails around the US during the great depression and living off the land and government handouts
The whole concept sounded like a great adventure when I was 12 but now for me it holds absolutely no appeal .
Being near our family returns far more to our lives than saving a couple of bucks but to each their own
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #29

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I find these threads interesting . It echo’s the tales of men
(Hobos ) riding the rails around the US during the great depression and living off the land and government handouts
The whole concept sounded like a great adventure when I was 12 but now for me it holds absolutely no appeal .
Being near our family returns far more to our lives than saving a couple of bucks but to each their own

Not everyone has family.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #30

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
steve i am old enough to remember those hobos going house to house for handouts. i tell my children my stories and they are nothing like my parents and they look at me like i have a 3rd eye!

Plus they are not interested!! Go figure!

best regards

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i have been to quartzite a couple of times. they tell me its unbearable there temps 120 or so and yes a/c will not work!

with an rv at least if you have the money you can move and move
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:26 AM   #32

Iowa
Do RV parks in Nevada and Arizona have cable internet? I am going to be camping out in my Casita for about 2 years in a RV park, but I need a good fast cable internet connection. I wont be working, so it doesn't matter where the RV park is. I had it on the East Coast, but I had to have them install it at the campground for my lot, which freaked out the park owners. I am leaning towards Nevada but Arizona would be good too.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #33

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I’ve never seen cable internet in a campground. Time to start calling them and discussing if. Since you are focused on long term rentals, they might have something!

Got to question the much earlier comment on buying empty lots, camping on them and later selling them for a profit to create income, not so much here. Friends of mine bought a lot 15 years ago, paid taxes and insurance on it every year. They just sold it for 1/3 LESS than what they paid for it. Add the holding costs over those years and they lost way over half their original investment. Meanwhile a similar investment over those years in an index fund would have been up 3 X plus dividends plus you can sell in less than 10 seconds. Took my friends over one year to sell their lot.

Real estate when it works is great! When it doesn’t work, it’s dreadful.

As someone who has made investments my entire adult life, the one “investment” I discourage is raw land. First it ties up money and you either have to make payments every month, if you tie up a bigger pile of money. Secondly it has recurring costs: taxes and insurance as a minimum. If you want utilities, you have those additional costs. Need water? Drill baby drill! (If you don’t have access to municipal water). Zero income while you are holding it. At least rental property you get income. Not all dirt goes up in value.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
We're in Smith Valley. It's just great to be able to go to Tahoe for lunch. North to Reno, or south to Yosemite and the whole Eastern Sierra so easily. Death Valley in about three hours. I never get tired of it after living in the Bay Area for 40 years. While driving on 395 and passing near here, in my 20s, on the way to LA from Reno, and back, I always thought it was too quiet for me. Not enough action. Now, that's just how I like it.
I had to laugh as this reminded me of something Ernie Pyle wrote of meeting in North Africa during WWII with some armored troops who manned tanks. As best I recall, his account went something like this:

"Well, after all that training at home in the States, we were guys that definitely wanted to see some action!"

Chimes in a another soldier "Yeah, and now that we've seen some action, we're guys that definitely want to see home!"

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:42 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
many RV park 'cable' systems are in fact hooked up to an over-the-air antenna, and a distribution amplifier, especially if the park is rural. no chance of any internet there.

Even if the park is on Comcast or something, they probably have distribution amplifiers to feed all the sites, and their distribution cabling is probably not capable of delivering bidirectional internet to each site, so you would need the cable company to run a dedicated line with a bidirectional amp to your site, and since many RV parks have their site wiring buried, thats going to be quite problematic and require trenching. then, of course, you'll need a cable modem and router in your RV to turn the broadband RF cable into internet.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
I'm going to go to NV for a few months, then go down to AZ. I wont get a job until this CV19 stuff is over, so I guess it doesn't matter where exactly.
That'll give you time to scope things out.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #37

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Flagstaff has nights with temps in the 30s through the middle of May then returning by the first of October. From towards the end of June until late September it can get frequent heavy rains which cause local flash flooding.

I have camped in the Flagstaff area dispersed NFS sites all most
full time, for summers only in this region this last 2 years. the other time not in Flagstaff in summer I am nearby in Williams or by the South Entrance o the Grand Canyon National Park. Nice places to be but bring your waterproof gear. In the winter it is cold with snow.

I can't comment on RV parks or the rent as I do not use them. But all that info is posted on their websites. I do like the town a lot but it rains most every day in the summer. In Spring there are usually wildfires happening in the surrounding area due to lightening strikes. Those burn scar areas are significant contributors to Flagstaff's flash flooding issues. It is a sandbagged city due to rain created flash flooding in summer and snow melt flooding in winter as well as spring thaws. Of course the tourist sites and chamber of commerce sites do not mention such things.

But I still like it enough to come back for more summer camping in years to come as the monsoon at elevation means reasonable temperatures; I do not have AC. Today was partly sunny with an hour of heavy rain from a band of thunderstorms.. The ground is very muddy, the humidity is high from that moisture.

Fall I will be in Pahrump, NV. Winter I will be in Southern, AZ. Spring in Lake Havasu City, AZ.

If I were to full time at an RV park in AZ most likely I would choose Lake Havasu City, AZ. Big enough to have good shopping, a hospital and plenty of doctors, dentist. There is a choice of companies offering services for RV repairs. But the huge bonus for Arizona is you can go to the lake or river for a change from desert activities. Lots of long stay RV parks to choose from. Winters are not too cold. Because there is irrigation water there are several golf courses. Summers are a bit cooler than Phoenix but still hot in the 90s+ so you will need AC. But you have a choice of the Sierra Mountains or Flagstaff at a doable distance starting out early in the morning.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #38

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Full time at an RV park in AZ. Take a very close look at Lake Havasu City.

It is just the right size, not too big but plenty big enough to have the medical care hospital and clinics, a well as good shopping options. Lots of long stay RV parks, it is popular with retirees. Plenty of RV repair services. But huge bonus for Arizona, a very nice waterfront for recreation. Plenty of public access to Lake Havasu. Not too cold in the winter but AC definitely needed in summer. The distance to the Sierra Mountains or Flagstaff, leave early morning, be there early afternoon.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote