Looking for FGRV with RV hookups to FT in at campgrounds. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Looking for FGRV with RV hookups to FT in at campgrounds.

I am going to start looking for a FG trailer that I can live in full time, which has RV hookups. I live in NJ, where it can get cold, so I will need something that can survive winter temps of about 0 degrees. I do a lot of computer work, so I will also need good electrical connections. Eventually, I may be interested in going "off-grid", which would mean I would probably need some combination of generator, AGM batteries, and solar panels. My goal is stay at RV parks and campgrounds, until I can travel more freely. So in the beginning, I would have 30/50 amp electrical, water, and sewer from the parks/campgrounds. I would be working a 9-5 job, so the trailer would be left alone during the day.

I think I need:
winter insulation
RV hookups for sewer, electrical, water
space for computers
shower with (hopefully) hot water
toilet, preferably one that could be upgraded to composting toilet
bed to sleep
stove to cook (built in, or I use camping stove)
tracking devices for trailer, or other anti-theft devices

and eventually: space for off-grid electrical = solar panel, generator, AGM batteries

I expect a trailer that can do all this will be expensive. I think a Casita or Oliver can do it. I was wondering if there are cheaper brands, that perhaps I should be looking at.

I just got a Nissan Frontier, which can supposedly pull 6500 lbs, but I am hoping to keep things under 4000 lbs.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Oliver and Bigfoot 2500-series trailers are 4-season ready. Those are the only two I am aware of. Casita is not.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
With the two noted exceptions, most FGRV's are not initially designed for full time living in the severe weather conditions you mentioned.

If you look at the Bigfoot you will find that there are both 1500 series and 2500 series. I believe only the 2500 series are designed for 4 season weather and you will find then to be very expensive, in part because you will usually be buying one that is less than 10 years old. The Olivers are also all newer and on the $$$$$ side as well.

The good news is that both the Oliver and Bigfoot will usually have all the amenities you want and will come in under the towing limit of your vehicle, but maybe not under 4000 lbs. outfitted for full time living.

For tracking & anti-theft devices, you will be on your own.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I have a very extensive review of the Oliver on my blog. I bought it with the sole intention of being able to go off-grid, as well as survive (in comfort) extremely harsh winter weather.

The smaller size trailer may meet your weight criteria, or you could just get a full size truck and get the bigger trailer.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Trailer Choice

Before ordering my Scamp 16 Standard I seriously considered the smaller Oliver that supposedly is going back into production. The price was way out of my range. I don't think the trailer is overpriced. It appears to be very well constructed and outfitted. I also live in New Jersey. I have no intention of spending any time in single digit temps. I've put wheels under me to escape that
Bill
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Oliver's are heavy due to their double hull and relativity newer and start around $40k Escapes are about $30 k and weigh a lot less. An Escape 19 can be towed with your vehicle. Both of these models can be used in cold climate. Very few used units are available.
Casitas are heavier than Scamps but neither of these are good down to -0- camping without a lot of electric or propane usage.These units sell for between $14-18K new. There are a lot of used Casitas and Scamps available.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I have a very extensive review of the Oliver on my blog. I bought it with the sole intention of being able to go off-grid, as well as survive (in comfort) extremely harsh winter weather.

The smaller size trailer may meet your weight criteria, or you could just get a full size truck and get the bigger trailer.
Your blog has a lot of good information, I will check out the Olivers. I just got my truck yesterday, so I will be using it. It's limit is 6500 lbs, but I will keep things under 4000 lbs to make it easier on my driving. thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Oliver's are heavy due to their double hull and relativity newer and start around $40k Escapes are about $30 k and weigh a lot less. An Escape 19 can be towed with your vehicle. Both of these models can be used in cold climate. Very few used units are available.
Casitas are heavier than Scamps but neither of these are good down to -0- camping without a lot of electric or propane usage.These units sell for between $14-18K new. There are a lot of used Casitas and Scamps available.
Wowzers, Oliver's are out of my price range. If the RV is not *destroyed* by freezing weather, I could probably go a few days without running water. In NJ, it gets to 0, but not for very long. I thought new Casitas cost more, but under $20k would be great. The manufacturers never seem to put the price on their websites, so it is hard to determine how much a new one costs.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think I could live in Ten Forward down to zero as long as I had electricity and it wasn't for days on end. If nothing else, I could wrap up in an electric blanket or sit on a heating pad!

Check them out, Escape publishes prices on their website: Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think I could live in Ten Forward down to zero as long as I had electricity and it wasn't for days on end. If nothing else, I could wrap up in an electric blanket or sit on a heating pad!

Check them out, Escape publishes prices on their website: Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
The basic trailer prices are pretty good, but the options look way overpriced. The trailers do look well made, and the 19ft is made for medium trucks with V6s, like mine. Do you know if they negotiate with prices? (though I'm a horrible negotiator!)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't how many days I could live in 0° weather in my Scamp 13, but probably more you would think. A few years ago we got caught is 5° weather for about 2 days, then in low teens for almost a week. We were off the grid, went through a lot of propane, but the propane furnace didn't have a lot of trouble keeping up. Scamp is pretty well insulated with 2 layers of reflex type insulation under the "rat fur". Even with carpeting on the floor it got a bit cool. The cold days were also windy, with skirting, even plastic tarp skirting, it probably would have kept the floor warmer.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #12

Name: Mel
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I have a liberty deluxe casita in near mint condition asking 10 k, it's a 1996 all original with a lot of adds call if interested or text 318-470-7200 have a ad on here under user name retired56 if you want to read up on it
Retired56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 PM   #13

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired56 View Post
I have a liberty deluxe casita in near mint condition asking 10 k, it's a 1996 all original with a lot of adds call if interested or text 318-470-7200 have a ad on here under user name retired56 if you want to read up on it
Is this the one you mentioned on your post from 7-22-2014 that said "I have a 17 ft casita 1999 that is in excellent (near perfect) condition
Cushions are not worn, I would sell it for $8995"

The search results are adding some numbers to your price, so when searching for your messages is comes out like this:

"I have a 17 ft casita 1999 that is in excellent (near perfect) condition
Cushions are not worn, I would sell it for $8995739507395173952739537395473955
"

Which looks like it's very expensive!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #14

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't how many days I could live in 0° weather in my Scamp 13, but probably more you would think. A few years ago we got caught is 5° weather for about 2 days, then in low teens for almost a week. We were off the grid, went through a lot of propane, but the propane furnace didn't have a lot of trouble keeping up. Scamp is pretty well insulated with 2 layers of reflex type insulation under the "rat fur". Even with carpeting on the floor it got a bit cool. The cold days were also windy, with skirting, even plastic tarp skirting, it probably would have kept the floor warmer.
On the Scamps website, it looked there was a ton of woodwork inside the Scamps. Doesn't that make them susceptible to rot? Or is it specially treated wood?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:26 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
The basic trailer prices are pretty good, but the options look way overpriced. The trailers do look well made, and the 19ft is made for medium trucks with V6s, like mine. Do you know if they negotiate with prices? (though I'm a horrible negotiator!)
No one I know has mentioned getting a deal, you pay what they ask. Keep in mind the prices are in Canadian dollars so you might consider it a deal at the present time.
If it were me, I'd only look at the Oliver and the Bigfoot with your 0 degree wintering requirements. And yes you pay big for it, both in price and weight. Do look into the weights and your trucks capacity.
You can look and wait for a used Bigfoot to save some on the price, Oliver's are probably too new for a used market.
Don't know of any that have room for a generator.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #16

Florida
Wow! I'll sell it for that! Lol.
The 8995 was the price before I added step, decals, vent covers, vents, stove vent, welded back tray, generator, tv w/ CD PLAYER, LED lighting, heat strip to a/c, hott shot rod to water heater, microwave, all new rivet snap caps, window tint, 4 electrical outlets, propane cover, hitch pad plate, so it's 10k w/o the generator
Old 04-01-2015, 12:11 AM   #17

Florida
The 8995 was the price before I added step, decals, vent covers, vents, stove vent, welded back tray, generator, tv w/ CD PLAYER, LED lighting, heat strip to a/c, hott shot rod to water heater, microwave, all new rivet snap caps, window tint, 4 electrical outlets, propane cover, hitch pad plate, so it's 10k w/o the generator . Yup that's the post and it won't let me edit it!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #18

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired56 View Post
The 8995 was the price before I added step, decals, vent covers, vents, stove vent, welded back tray, generator, tv w/ CD PLAYER, LED lighting, heat strip to a/c, hott shot rod to water heater, microwave, all new rivet snap caps, window tint, 4 electrical outlets, propane cover, hitch pad plate, so it's 10k w/o the generator
I got my truck yesterday, so I am not quite ready to get the RV, but I am currently planning to get a Casita. If yours is still available in a month or two, I will take a serious look at it. I just have to get some finances squared away first.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
When we got our Scamp 13 L1 54" bed model in October of 2013, all of
the northern campgrounds were closed for the winter. We went as far
south as Des Moines before we found a campground we could stay in.

The first night in our Scamp was 28 degrees outside. We used a tiny
"Little Big Heat" electric space heater for heating. My wife asked me
to get up in the middle of the night and turn the space heater down
to a lower setting .... she was so hot that she couldn't sleep.

The Scamps seem to be pretty well insulated. When there was a recent
risk of sub-freezing temperatures in the KC Metro, I turned the electric
space heater to one of the lowest possible settings and left it on for an
extended period of time. It cycled on and off fairly infrequently and
maintained the trailer at 50+ degrees (so few worries about stuff
freezing up.)

If I were staying in really cold temperatures for an extended period
of time, I would probably cut some pieces of that silver Reflectix
insulation (available at Home Depot & Lowes) and put it over some
or all of the windows and maybe in the ceiling vent area for our
3-spd Fantastic Fan. If you were stationary for long periods, I suppose
you could also fabricate some sort of insulated skirting for the bottom
of the trailer to protect the gray water and black water tanks?

I've not done what you are describing, so I would probably trust the
advice of others who actually have done it.

I think that I remember a YouTube video that a young lady once did
about living in a Scamp 16 while she was work-camping at Yellowstone
or some high country campground, but you would have to search
for that.

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now not that I am planning on living in my ParkLiner any time soon, but I did live for almost 10 years on a 27 foot fiberglass sailboat in NJ. It is doable with any fiberglass trailer...just your furnace will run a lot to keep you warm. Anytime with single pane windows you will have issues with some condensation... but its all tradeoffs.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote