Monthly campground fees - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Monthly campground fees

We're planning to move full time into a scamp 16 in a few years. I'm doing my retirement budget and weekend trips in a scamp 13 for now

Any of you full timers know how much you spend a month of campground fees?

I was sort of figuring in the ballpark of $300 to $400 a month but I'm not sure.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
We're planning to move full time into a scamp 16 in a few years. I'm doing my retirement budget and weekend trips in a scamp 13 for now

I was sort of figuring in the ballpark of $300 to $400 a month but I'm not sure.
It depends... many places are free and if you are full-timing, then camp hosting with a free site is not a bad deal. But on the higher end, if you even could get 30 days at Edisto Beach Campground in July, it would be $1740 plus Reservation fee. Anyone else's expenses might not have any relevance to you. If you are more specific in your plans then perhaps someone with a similar situation can chime in, otherwise I suspect there is too much of a range to give a helpful answer to your question.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
One outside Dunedin, Florida, where we are staying right now (we are staying in Dunedin, not this campground), prime season is $885 plus electricity. I would not call the campground deluxe, but it looks OK. Nightly rates there are $70 per night in prime season. So the monthly represents a substantial discount. If $885 sounds high, typical motel rooms here right now are about $200 a night....

Many of the Florida state parks are fully booked 13 months in advance, and they typically limit you to a two week stay.

Most campgrounds I have been to that did rent by the month also had a meter on electricity, so you had that expense too.

$300 to $400 a month sounds off season, in a less popular location. Many like to follow the good weather patterns, which means desirable locations in prime season.

By far, our number 1 expense in retirement is medical insurance. And it continues to increase every year, usually 20% increases. We are debt free so we don't have some of the expenses other retirees have, but we are also not medicare age yet, so medical insurance is high, really high.

One nice thing about the $885 campground, it is conveniently located, right on the bicycle path, close to everything. We like to bike and walk as much as we can. Getting in the car to do anything is not the lifestyle we want. I call the extra expense "nursing home insurance". By being active, we hopefully either shorten our time in a nursing home. My wife's parents both spent years in nursing homes, both due to mobility issues (couldn't get up). To be in a nursing home when you are 100% mentally with no serious health issues is awful! And no hope of ever getting out. Sad, sad, sad!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Half Price

Georgia State Parks use to offer a 50 % off 30 day camping package at select parks . Reed Bingham SP was one of them if my memory is correct.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Half Price

Georgia State Parks use to offer a 50 % off 30 day camping package at select parks . Reed Bingham SP was one of them if my memory is correct.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
A lot of the people I know who full time in an RV ultimately fall into a predictable pattern after going through a “travel around and see the Country” period. They decide that they like wintering in Arizona or Florida, etc., and choose a favorite northern location for summer living. Prime season can be expensive in high demand areas. As Bill stated, he is in Dunedin and costs there can be rather high. Still, there are areas in Florida where seasonal fees are lower. The same is true in a State like Maine. If you want to spend the summer near Bar Harbor, better have a huge bank account but inland seasonal fees are much lower. My suggestion would be to first determine where you want to spend your time. Should you choose Florida for the winter, be prepared to spend more the first year or so. Talk with the locals who are camping nearby. By that, I mean people with Florida tags on their vehicles, not those with Michigan or NY tags. Local residents often know where the least expensive but acceptable places to spend the season are.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #7

Registry
One "trick" my parents used for years to winter in Florida at a reasonable/low cost was to spend winters in northern Florida/Panhandle. In that area, winter is the offseason. And its not as warm as central or southern FL. But the weather was a lot better than northern IL.

Checked on one campground in Lake City, FL that I have stayed at before. Its $370 a month plus electricity. Now its kind of isolated, not really in town. Areas in central Florida, away from the coast, and away from Orlando, are cheaper too (but not $370). Better winter weather than the panhandle! Lots of those campgrounds are full of permanent park models. I'm never very comfortable camping there in my trailer.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you are attempting to "Follow the 70's" (temperature wise), you may find the $300 - $400 a bit low. On the other hand, I just finished spending $180.00 for a total of 7 months at one of the Arizona/California BLM Long Term Visitor Areas. You get a piece of the desert, and access to dumpsters, fresh water & a dump station. While I didn't stay the entire 7 months, it is pretty inexpensive winter camping!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
One "trick" my parents used for years to winter in Florida at a reasonable/low cost was to spend winters in northern Florida/Panhandle. In that area, winter is the offseason. And its not as warm as central or southern FL. But the weather was a lot better than northern IL.

Checked on one campground in Lake City, FL that I have stayed at before. Its $370 a month plus electricity. Now its kind of isolated, not really in town. Areas in central Florida, away from the coast, and away from Orlando, are cheaper too (but not $370). Better winter weather than the panhandle! Lots of those campgrounds are full of permanent park models. I'm never very comfortable camping there in my trailer.
We found the temperatures in the Florida Panhandle were much nicer than in central Florida and the costs were less
The costs of a campsite in the panhandle were often 1/3 the cost of a campsite in Florida's mainland.
Southern Alabama is often cheaper then Florida's panhandle with much the same climate
We were surprised how expensive things were in Florida compared to back at home . Meat and alcohol were 2 to 3 times more expensive .
As an example a box of cheap wine in Florida was $18.99 + tax
Back home the same box of wine was $9.89 + 5.5% tax
Our last 2 winters we spent in the South we spent in Georgia and had a very enjoyable trip.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We were surprised how expensive things were in Florida compared to back at home .
That's because Yankees keep coming down here running prices up.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
That's because Yankees keep coming down here running prices up.
I would be more inclined to believe that us Yankees are your tax base but this is not the time or place to debate that subject
My wife and I are doing our part to keep your prices from rising by spending our winters at home in Wisconsin
It is a win win proposition for you and us !!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #12

Registry
In our case, Floridians return the favor by coming to the mountains of NC and spending money here all summer long. In my county, lots of vacation homes and 65% of them are owned by Floridians!
Old 03-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post

We holiday in SoCal, nothing in that price range that I've seen.
In the desert with no amenities maybe.
We paid 700 a month at Desert trails in ElCentro Ca. Golf course and everything we needed but the city itself is no destination,,,.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I'm no fulltimer, but I would guess more like $600-$800/month should be budgeted, unless you intend to economize with some boondocking, low-cost forest service sites, and such. If you winter in NM, for example, they have an annual camping pass... $225 per year for nonresidents (but hookups are extra).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #15

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
NorthBeach Campground in St. Augustine Florida, where im heading in 2 days, is $1100 a month + electric.
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think it all depends on what you want. We've been part timing for the past 8 years and averaged about $7.50 per night with over 100 nights a year.

According to one person we're high, she managed a year with a cost of about $10.00 total for camping. Other will pay $1,000 a month to live in a little trailer. It depends on what you want to do.
We avoid situations where we're locked in. It's a lot more fun if you just hook up and leave when you want to and traveling to new places is an adventure.

I like the National Parks T-Shirt that says "Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures"
Old 07-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #17

Registry
Yes, go down a checklist:

60 degree weather or warmer

Bike paths and other recreation activities

Close to shopping (no middle of nowhere)

Hookups

Our options tend to be in the $1000 a month plus electricity range. Seems like there are better deals out west.

Steve is right: if southern AL or GA works for you it is going to be cheaper.

Next winter we are heading out west, destination unknown, as we like the west so much better!