New? Are you full timing on Social Security? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #81

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve,

I doubt I'd move to save money but I might choose to have a domicile state without taxes. As to grand kids, the fact that we live in NH or FL did not stop me from spending time with the grandkids.

This thread is a person considering fulltiming so choosing a domicile state could be significant .... or not.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #82

Name: Lori
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
I will qualify my reply by saying that I haven't read the entire thread (woo doggie, it's a long one - and I intend to read all of it) and it seems like the topic hasn't been active for a while. However...

I'm 61 and I will be among those who will be full-timing it on SS. I'm single so there will be no double SS. Just me, myself and I...and my dog. The reason I fell upon RVing was because I was looking for retirement options. I know myself and just could not see me sharing a house with a bunch of strangers (option 1) or marrying a sugar daddy (option2). So I had to look at inexpensive alternatives. I am not even sure how I came across RVing as an alternative in my search but as soon as I did I exclaimed (outloud, I'm sure) "This is it!" I've always been an adventurous, go against the grain, outdoorsy sort and since my family is spread across the west, it spoke to me.

I've been researching everything I could get my hands on both about full-time RVing and about living on SS. I happen to live in an expensive part of the country. Housing is expensive. Utilities are expensive in the winter and the summer (we don't get much of a break weather-wise). Food is expensive. Fuel is expensive. The only thing that costs nothing is political opinion...but I guess that's true anywhere in the country.

I don't have much in savings thanks partially to being a single mom for most of my 2 sons' lives, some health issues along the way and also, quite honestly, to some poor decisions on my part.

My plan is to take what I do have in saving to buy a light weight FGRV and my tow vehicle, retire at 65 after establishing Medicare coverage, continuing to work while on the road (I moonlight as a web designer) and then start taking SS when I'm 66. I know how much my SS will be. I wouldn't mind doing some workamping if I have to but I prefer to be able to pick up and go when the mood strikes so I'm not sure about that. I will consider it if I have to. But I am feeling confident that between SS and picking up a web dev/design job or two, I will be able to live a very comfortable existence....on my terms. And that's what it is all about, right?
rvdevdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #83

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Camp hosting may be an option for you also.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #84

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdevdiva View Post
I will qualify my reply by saying that I haven't read the entire thread (woo doggie, it's a long one - and I intend to read all of it) and it seems like the topic hasn't been active for a while. However...

.... But I am feeling confident that between SS and picking up a web dev/design job or two, I will be able to live a very comfortable existence....on my terms. And that's what it is all about, right?
rvediva, I have been retired for a long, long, long time! Partly on SS, and part time work, and other income.

The one most important thing that I have learned along the way, is that a person's attitude is the the key to having a happy retired life.

I'd say, from reading you message, that you have the right positive attitude to make it work for you!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #85

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Camp hosting may be an option for you also.
Dave, I have thought about that. I have zero experience and of course I'm a single so I'd have to find locations that aren't looking for a couple. But it is a possibility, especially if it turns out that getting tech work isn't as workable as I had hoped.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #86

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
rvediva, I have been retired for a long, long, long time! Partly on SS, and part time work, and other income.

The one most important thing that I have learned along the way, is that a person's attitude is the the key to having a happy retired life.

I'd say, from reading you message, that you have the right positive attitude to make it work for you!

Bill
Thanks, Bill! I don't need much and I've never been a particularly materialistic person. As a single adult I've lived alone in a 3 bedroom 4 bath home and also in an in-law's studio and I wasn't more happy in the big place with all the stuff. I have twice sold almost all my belongings and moved across the country - like recently...not in my 20's. I loved loved loved the travel part of it and that's why I know this speaks to me. I'm kind of a solitary person so I don't need a gaggle of friends around me all the time. Although it sounds like when you are full-time, making friends almost becomes easier than when grow roots. My next door neighbors right now stick to themselves so I barely know them after all this time.

But yes, I think I do have the right attitude. I have no debt right now and have reduced my expenses in anticipation of this. A couple years ago I even sold my fully loaded car (the nicest one I have ever owned) which had less than 40,000 miles on it so that I could get rid of that payment. I took the bus to work for a year so I could buy a beater car and not have a car payment. I will do what I need to and I know in so many ways my life will be much richer and healthier than it is now. Can't wait!!
Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #87

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Another option is teaming with another person who does not want to travel alone but does like the concept of extended travel.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #88

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quoth Bill Nolen, "The one most important thing that I have learned along the way, is that a person's attitude is the the key to having a happy retired life."

Hear, hear!
Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #89

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Another option is teaming with another person who does not want to travel alone but does like the concept of extended travel.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I've heard of others doing that. Not for me. :-) I enjoy my solitude.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #90

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Dave, I have thought about that. I have zero experience and of course I'm a single so I'd have to find locations that aren't looking for a couple. But it is a possibility, especially if it turns out that getting tech work isn't as workable as I had hoped.
I have thought about camp hosting but not done it yet, and I am single.
My thought was to accept some second-rate campground where they were desperate for hosts.. and get some experience as well as a good reputation as a host. Then I could better prove to the next place that I, as a single, would do a good job both with the chores, and as a representative of the campground, State Park, etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #91

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are plenty of people who live modestly on SS. Do realize that it can cost just as much or even more money per month to live in low income subsidized housing as it does to travel and be in some interesting locations boondocking or in an affordable RV park on monthly discounted rates.

The blog of RV Sue and her canine Crew will help you understand exactly what you will be getting into in terms of cost for full timing on the road as a senior woman living on a very modest income. You will also understand how to find camping places, following the weather to avoid big heating and cooling issues, what kinds of people you will meet during life on the road, handling food, dealing with repairs etc. She has been happy living that way for a number of years while constantly sharing in her blog what her daily life and expenses are like.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #92

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
There are plenty of people who live modestly on SS. Do realize that it can cost just as much or even more money per month to live in low income subsidized housing as it does to travel and be in some interesting locations boondocking or in an affordable RV park on monthly discounted rates.

The blog of RV Sue and her canine Crew will help you understand exactly what you will be getting into in terms of cost for full timing on the road as a senior woman living on a very modest income. You will also understand how to find camping places, following the weather to avoid big heating and cooling issues, what kinds of people you will meet during life on the road, handling food, dealing with repairs etc. She has been happy living that way for a number of years while constantly sharing in her blog what her daily life and expenses are like.
I discovered RVSue about a week ago and have been reading her blog. So full of good information including a great travelogue and how she handles finances. How she is doing things is exactly how I imagined doing it. I feel a kinship. lol
Old 06-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #93

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have thought about camp hosting but not done it yet, and I am single.
My thought was to accept some second-rate campground where they were desperate for hosts.. and get some experience as well as a good reputation as a host. Then I could better prove to the next place that I, as a single, would do a good job both with the chores, and as a representative of the campground, State Park, etc.
Now that's a good idea. How does one identify a second-rate campground? Does it have to do with how they are managed or where they are located?
Old 06-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #94

Oregon
Quote:
Now that's a good idea. How does one identify a second-rate campground? Does it have to do with how they are managed or where they are located?
If you want experience to build up a work kamper resume consider going for several of the shorter term volunteer jobs for things such as museums, schools, summer camps for various organizations. Do not start out by taking a job that is second rate. The ones no one wants are unwanted for valid reasons such as too hot, too cold, too remote, no amenities at all including drinking water, or else you are overworked and under appreciated. Start with shorter term jobs, break into it easy. Don't get stuck for a long time in something second rate and burn out before you even get started. The shorter term jobs go unwanted mostly because they are short term rather than being second rate. But at least you won't get overwhelmed by them. Much nicer to have good memories to think back on
Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #95

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Quote:
They rent camping spots by the hour?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #96

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post

Mon
It took me a while to get the joke you made.. Second rate as in renting the space for very short time periods.

I think that only a certain type known as a no-tell rents by the hour
Old 06-11-2016, 03:00 AM   #97

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post

Mon

That's a new twist but not what was meant, funny though. Hope I can keep that from my mind the next time I check into an RV park.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #98

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you want experience to build up a work kamper resume consider going for several of the shorter term volunteer jobs for things such as museums, schools, summer camps for various organizations. Do not start out by taking a job that is second rate. The ones no one wants are unwanted for valid reasons such as too hot, too cold, too remote, no amenities at all including drinking water, or else you are overworked and under appreciated. ..
By second rate I was referring to any of the campgrounds where they have difficulty getting people to work as hosts (for whatever reasons). I recall seeing a flyer at one state park soliciting for hosts at a different one. The flyer specifically said that singles were welcome to apply and short term hosting was available. So, even though single I am pretty sure I could get this host job. Then, once I spent a little time being the host there, I could use that as proof that I could do the host job just as well as a couple at a more desirable campground.

While it might be an unwanted job for any of the reasons that Corbin pointed out, it would be temporary and no different than an entry-level job in a different field. We should not be afraid of starting out at entry-level when going into a new line of work where we do not have experience or a track record. Of course if a single person can start out hosting at the nicer places then that's great, and I for one, would not take a hosting job at a site with no electricity. I only offer this idea as an alternative way to overcome any resistance to a single person being the host. I would think that having a work history as a host would be preferable to have a work history as a volunteer in a museum, school, etc. when you apply to be a host.

I also offer this idea with the understanding that, in this thread, we are talking about living on a Social Security income alone. Working as a volunteer in a museum, school, etc. is not likely to help you pay the rent or utilities and may in fact add to your expenses.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #99

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i'm a retired single half timer and social security is my main source of income. my camp hosting takes care of about half the time i'm away and roaming consumes the other half (is that too many halves?). anyway...here's my take on camp hosting. first of all, there's no "entry level" since hosting is a single level gig. you're either a host or you're not. one thing to remember is it's volunteering and that's more important than you might think. when i started the hosting stuff i never expected the reward that i felt from helping out. all those government agencies that provide camping facilities really need help what with budgetary cuts, etc. and a lot of folks benefit (campers) from your helping. you build relationships with the agency staff (most are nice) and the campers who are mostly nice also. i'll be returning next spring for my fifth year at one small park on the cost of sc and i'm already looking forward. you're not gonna make any money from all this and can only hope for a free site with hookups. for that you have minimal duties and a pretty open schedule. i choose where i want to host by location mostly. last october was spent in the mountains of maryland watching fall happen from one spot. it was amazing. it's been my experience that when dealing with the government, references from other agencies are not a big deal. mostly, the agency you're applying to is concerned about you passing the background check, doesn't matter if you had the same check by another agency they want or need to have their own "paperwork" (it is government after all). steer clear of facilities operated by concessionaires. the profit motive is a big deal and they try to maximize the return on their investment in you (and are most likely to be the places that insist on couples for hosting). i feel like if you'll need to conform to corporate mentality you may as well get paid for it and should look at some of the private campgrounds that actually pay you for being there and doing odd jobs.

full time hosting will save you some bucks by not having a stick & brick place but, eventually you'll feel the need not to host and then you'll have to to pony up some rent for a site. that's why i still have a house. sort of a spot to regroup & maintain. i've lived here for over 35 years and it's not all that expensive to keep. i have a room mate and his rent helps defray my overhead plus there's someone here while i'm gone to guard my treasures.

so...perhaps a good approach would be to seek a hosting position at a place you'd like to be for a month or two and give it a try before making any lifestyle changes...try it on, see if it fits then take it from there?

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #100

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
... first of all, there's no "entry level" since hosting is a single level gig. you're either a host or you're not. ..
Perhaps it is a word choice that is hanging us up here.. I was comparing camp hosting at Henderson Beach State park on the gulf coast of the Florida Panhandle with camp hosting at a place that felt they had to distribute flyers at different parks to attract applicants. I understand that the former is a VERY popular place for hosts and it is hard to get a position there. When you need a place to stay, perhaps its better to accept a less popular place (AKA entry-level location).